U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times

Advertisements

I was just exploring on the web the beautiful area of Western New York where I grew up, Idyllic Pastoral Small Towns, Gorgeous Trees and Nice Big Natural Lakes. The homes are so cheap compared to here in Colorado and you even get lots of land. However, the taxes on these properties, considering their low assessments--I am just stunned by the high taxes.

When I was young, I thought I would move out of the suburbs of Buffalo to one of the those small rural towns. Now, I live in a suburbs of Denver. The properties are small; there are few trees and natural lakes and the the small towns do not have the same charm.

The advantages are taxes are much, much less; weather is much, much better. Now I have severe health problems with worsening arthritis. A few days ago in Colorado--it was rainy, wet and damp; it reminded me of New York. But with that weather now, I cannot move; I am stiff and in pain. So my dreams of my youth to stay in wet and humid New York would have made my situation much worse.

I like the Denver metro area but if I had strength I would relocate to even a drier and warmer place in the high deserts of the Southwest because of my health problems. Ah, but I just do not have the energy to start over in a new place--but if I was able to predict my health problems, I would have been in a desert, many years ago. Now I know that water and trees mean moisture and humidity. So my preference have changed and my dreams of youth are no more.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-08-2010 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
If you really wanted to relocate, maybe you could get some of these ladies to help you and it would be much easier for you. Amazing what you can accomplish with some help.

This recent dampness in Denver is rather rare - right?

Last edited by Umbria; 05-08-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
If you really wanted to relocate, maybe you could get some of these ladies to help you and it would be much easier for you. Amazing what you can acomplish with some help.

Dampness in Denver is not rare, it is part of seasonal changes. Spring has more rain; there are occasional summer afternoon showers; there is some days of winter dampness and we do get heavy snow storms. It is much less damp than other parts of the country. There is much less precipitation, as it is a semi-arid region. In addition, there are no large bodies of water--in fact, very little water, so less moisture.

It is certainly less damp than New York but it is wetter than a true arid desert region. Today, my body desires less moisture. I will shrivel and dry out but I will have less pain. Again, I would seek a high desert like Albuquerque, NM vs. a hot low desert like Phoenix, AZ. Again it is a sort of compromise--I want dry but a little less heat. In a high desert, it cools off significantly at night and there a few colder days with little snow.

I will not move. I am settled in Denver. Familiarity of place is comforting to me and ameliorates many deficiencies. I do not have the years or strength to make a new place "fit like an old shoe". I am fitting my house with disability features with grab bars, down the steps to the basement, grab bars in the bath, railings and grab bars on the outside. The area has excellent public transit and health care. I live in a walkable neighborhood--if only I could walk better. But I have a walker and it appears more devices in the future. I cannot have everything perfect. I like where I live but I just dream. A dream of an old man is just a dream; a dream of a young man is a possibility.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-09-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM

Dream on~~~~

I try to imagine what you are living with on a daily basis and I admire your strength (even though we tend to disagree now and then).

Seems like there should be, with today's medicine, something that could make your life easier.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
If you really wanted to relocate, maybe you could get some of these ladies to help you and it would be much easier for you. Amazing what you can accomplish with some help.

Denver is one of those places where they say if you don't like the weather, wait an hour and it will be different. Close to the truth.

I the damp is a relative thing. If you lived where I do now, Denver feels like dessication. If you live in Denver, there are times when it is damper. But when my relatives complain about about it being muggy there, to me it feels crisp and fresh. Its all relative.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Tesaje - That's pretty much what I've always thought. It can get muggy here in the summer for a week or so and the humidity is always higher than Denver.

Tesaje - If you get that RV I hope you can make it to MN (if I'm still here), hope you stop here for a few days and I'll show you around. Hopefully I'll be in CO (possibly Loveland, Ft Collins or Colo Springs) - but I need to get the lead out, as they say, if that's ever going to happen. You're welcome there as well.

Happy Mother's Day to all the ladies here! Whether you have 2 legged or 4 legged kids or maybe the Mother of Invention - hope you are having a good day

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
You all want to see damp? Try the Pacific NW. We have have had more rain that even we normally have. The older I get the more my lungs and bones rebel against it. We do get a couple of months in the summer of lovely dryness but then it's back into the rain.

I swear after thirty years of living in Portland I have moss growing on my northern side.

I would settle for one season of damp three and a half is a bit much.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Minervah - I'd have a real hard time there. I know it's beautiful but the sun really affects my moods and even if it's chilly, or down right cold, if the sun is shining, I can deal with it.

Today it's chilly - high 50s but sunny - just set out my nursery plants to get the sun. We can't plant anything permanently in pots for another week.

Off to "get the lead out"

Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times
Just want to say that I spent a summer in Minnesota before my senior year in college. I was an intern at the Univ. of MN Landscape Arboretum. I fell in love with the state! So much to do and nice people and a beautiful state. I did get to travel a bit while there.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Plantlover - I didn't know this! I know just where that is - glad you enjoyed it. So many people try to make MN out to be some sort of ice station or a place with just bad weather when in reality, except for a couple weeks at Christmas (snow, then rain then tons more snow), it wasn't all that bad and our spring,summer, fall weather is great. Our sunny days outnumber our gloomy ones. MN as a whole has many different climates, similar, yet different. The northern and western parts of the state seem to get the worst.

I've lived here all but 2 years of my life so I am ready for a change - CO here I come

What about you - where are you planning on going? Or, are you going to stay where you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement