Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Ideally, I would love to be closer to the ocean.
Thanks for the Greenville info, not too encouraging.

With the hurricanes off the NC coast I would never live there, plus coastal areas that are nice are inundated with tourists. But the storms are enough for me. I heard that Greenville is no stranger to tornados too?

PS, Inland, Cary is nice, just far enough away from Raleigh and very well laid out, though I hear no public transport to speak of.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
NewEnglandGirl and Loveautumn. Thank you for your posts. Good thoughts.

One reason I want to move to Cleveland is because no one else wants to. LOL. Portland OR where I live now is bursting at the seams because everyone and their dog appears to want to live here. It has made the place a lot less livable than it was thirty something years ago when I first moved here.

Moving to a place where one knows people is a definite plus. I moved to Portland not knowing a soul and it was lonely. But I can make friends if I move to a place where I don't know anyone. I know how to do it now.

I wouldn't look forward to Cleveland's lousy weather but I have been back to Chicago during the winter so I know how they can be. Actually it's the humid summers I dislike more. But air-conditioning is my friend.

I have a goofy unpopular illness called Sarcoidosis. It really lays me low sometimes. I like the fact that Cleveland has a world-class medical center for the purpose of finding a knowledgeable doctor and for the the prospect of my getting a part time job there. I have years of experience in medical insurance. My friend works at the Ohio State University and she could possibly help in the job hunt too. And I like taking classes.

I love old neighborhoods. I don't care for the new apartment complexes. I love walking neighborhoods and Cleveland has plenty. They also have all the type of entertainment I like. I am not one to sit on a beach in the sun. I would rather be at a museum and there are plenty of them.

Sure I know the bad bits. Getting around during the winter on public transportation is the pits. But I hope I will not have to do that too often if I don't have to work a steady full time job. And I can always stock up on groceries if I know a bad storm is coming.

Cleveland is just one of a handful of places I am going to look at. If the positives outweigh the negatives, that may be my choice. Heck, I know it's not any-body's dream location; it's not even mine but it meets just about all my criteria save for aesthetics from what I have been told. But I can get pictures of scenery if I really start missing Pacific Northwest greenery.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm in the same boat as Livecontent, with a chronic pain condition, and yes, it's debilitating and depressing. Like her, I can't even imagine packing up and moving again...it's difficult to even do basic things like walking or standing or even sitting comfortably. Friends and family constantly are trying to help "fix me" with various suggestions, and it gets kind of old....believe me, if I could fix myself, I would. And they don't understand that the pain itself drains me of the energy to go here and there trying different doctors or procedures.
Keep trying. There is help out there. I recently switched doctors and finally found some relief from chronic pain. My old doctors had just chalked it up to getting old, but my new one said it didn't have to be that way and changed me to some new medications that made a definite improvement in my life.
I'm not bouncing around, but I'm moving and getting out of bed in the morning and sleeping pain free at night. She gave me a new daily pain reliever and a potent anti-pain medicine for bad days. Best of all, the switch stopped the horrible leg cramps I'd get at night if I tried to be active.
It is a hassle finding the right doctor and the right combination of relief, but it is worth it.
One of the best things I did was buy a "Cuddle Bed" sort of like a feather bed but synthetic.
Costco - Up to $10 OFF Ultimate Cuddle Bed® Plus Mattress Topper
Worth every cent. Relieved all the pressure point pain. I stick a couple of comforters under it for a little additional fluff. My elderly cat loves it, too.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Minervah, I do understand your reasoning. One of my options is to retire back to Western NY and nobody is flocking to move there! The traffic is practically non-existent, and has very good medical facilities. The COL is quite a bit less and it would be a less stressful life in many ways in spite of the cold winters. The area is quite beautiful actually, it's just the culture there is kind of parochial. I left so many years ago because I didn't fit in and I don't think I would fit in now either. Maybe I've been in the big city too long.

But my first choice has always been the Boston area. It's really the only place I've ever been where I have totally felt at home, and I'm not even a liberal!

Lots to consider...

Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the Greenville info, not too encouraging.

With the hurricanes off the NC coast I would never live there, plus coastal areas that are nice are inundated with tourists. But the storms are enough for me. I heard that Greenville is no stranger to tornados too?

PS, Inland, Cary is nice, just far enough away from Raleigh and very well laid out, though I hear no public transport to speak of.

I've lived in hurricane/tornado areas for many a year, seen what they can do, not fearful of death by natural disaster. I want to live where I most enjoy before my time is up and if I am meant to be swept off my feet by the wind, so be it. I once lived in the Kissimmee, (I was 20 minutes from Disney world) an area encompassing both tornadoes and a huge tourist influx. Those are some of my favorite and most nightmarish (not because of the tornadoes or tourist), memories, and I would have returned to the area if it had been feasable back then after healing from an accident. The area I resided in has gone through major changes, so it's not a place I wish to move to now, plus as I said I miss the ocean, another place I live closed to for many years. I might not have left the Jersey Shore area had it not been for the weather. I loved living there, but shoveling my car out of snow beds was tiresome. I always new I was going to leave for a warmer climate. NC is a little colder than I like, but that's only for a short time, so I might manage it a little longer. But Sarasota is looking pretty good to me.

In any event, I've always managed to find places that were nice and not overly crowed at the beaches I went to in Florida. When I lived near the beaches in NJ it did get a bit crowded at times, but you could find quiet streatches. I'm sure I would be able to do the same where ever I chose to move. Not much can deter me from going to the beach other than enviornmental alerts saying the ocean is too poluted. Keeping fingers crossed on this BP castastrophe.

BTW, I was one of those people that thought I would hate Disney World. Just the mere mention of MM made my skin crawl. Well a friend's dad used to get free tickets and after my first visit, I couldn't get enough. I had so much fun. I even took a pic with Mickey.

My dream has always been to live in a warmer climate since I was in my 20's, I made the move while in my 30, but moved back to cold to be near family after a car accident then back to Florida, now to NC for medical reasons. I've never not known the type of area I wanted, just circumstances changed. I'm not sorry, for making the moves, I've learned something about different areas and the native to those areas along the way.

For me the ideal place is near the ocean where the temps rarely if ever drop below 50. When one of my best friend's father found out I was leaving Florida, again, first thing out of his mouth, without a flinch, was, "She'll be back". At the time I didn't realize how true that just might be. There are some things I don't like about Florida, but, the weather and the beaches

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
For anyone that wants to find areas that are walkable with good transit:
you type in your city:

http://www.walkscore.com/score/nc

This is one of the most fab tools I've found on the net to date, um, besides City-Data forums, that is.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minervah, I do understand your reasoning. One of my options is to retire back to Western NY and nobody is flocking to move there! The traffic is practically non-existent, and has very good medical facilities. The COL is quite a bit less and it would be a less stressful life in many ways in spite of the cold winters. The area is quite beautiful actually, it's just the culture there is kind of parochial. I left so many years ago because I didn't fit in and I don't think I would fit in now either. Maybe I've been in the big city too long.

But my first choice has always been the Boston area. It's really the only place I've ever been where I have totally felt at home, and I'm not even a liberal!

Lots to consider...
New York state = high property taxes
Boston = high COL but prop taxes not as bad as NYS.

Boston has great transportation. Brookline and Newton really nice but .... pricey, really pricey.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't be buying so I don't worry about property taxes...and I live in SoCal now so COL is just about the same from what I've seen. But ultimately I do need to find a cheaper place to live....I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Lots to consider...
As I have said I grew up in WNY, that is Cheetowaga, near the Town Park. I left over 40 years ago, back a few times for very short time, after army and between colleges. Once I saw other places, I then realized that Cheetowaga was not the greatest of places. Buffalo was terrible, as I grew up on the border of the east side--which was the worse area of the city.

Now that area is much worse than when I left. I really never left because of the weather but I cannot return, now, because of the weather with my health conditions.

I have no contact, no relatives in Western New York. All my family left and relocated to Colorado, many decades ago. It really was a good move and not one of us has left Colorado.

I do not think that the cost of living is cheaper in WNY. Groceries, Gas and other items cost the same. Sure homes are cheaper but taxes are just too much. Utilities are cheaper here and surprisingly water rates are less than New York. Traffic is non-existent because the highways were built for a larger population, that left. Now, the smaller population still has the total tax burden for maintenance and upkeep. So, it really is not a positive issue. Older infrastructure in the area is collapsing but still needs tax support.

I do agree that moving where other people are not going; a place that is not a fad; an area that is not well known; or a place that is not a tourist destination makes good sense in evaluating an area to live. There are so many places that are not talked about as much that are great places to be happy.

Unfortunately when you need a job, many times you have to follow economic opportunity. In retirement, you do not have that issue. I think WNY is good place to live as long as it fits your needs. I do not think Buffalo is a good city but there are many small beautiful towns that can give a good quality of life. I believe there is one problem is that an area needs a good core city that provide services and brings up the region and Buffalo is just too decayed.

Sure, I sometimes pine for large water bodies, lush trees and green grass but I now know that it is the result of more water; more water means more snow, more rain, more damp, more humidity--and that I cannot tolerate because of my health problems.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-13-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM

I hear ya, WNY isn't my first choice my any means, I'm from Rochester...but I do have family (relatives) there, we're not really close but they are there.

I have a few years yet (hopefully) to figure this out but I'm still waiting for that "aha" moment when I know I'm in the right place to retire. I can't afford to make a real big mistake and then have to move again and again. I did that when I was young but doesn't appeal to me now. And I'm finding the thought of moving somewhere all by myself somewhat scarier than I did even 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement