U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
BTW! I have to say, there are as many psyco abusive women out there as men.
True enuf. Wouldn't it be nice if the psychos & sociopaths would stick to each other instead of messing up normal people? If only.

I must say that I never missed my ex. There must be a reason why single women clock in as the happiest group. ;-) I sure am enjoying my 4 1/2 months of complete freedom.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM

8,141 posts, read 7,649,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
True enuf. Wouldn't it be nice if the psychos & sociopaths would stick to each other instead of messing up normal people? If only.

I must say that I never missed my ex. There must be a reason why single women clock in as the happiest group. ;-) I sure am enjoying my 4 1/2 months of complete freedom.
Never missed my ex for one sec either, never looked back. But what annoys me, I have an aquaintence or two that love to remind me of that error; and still ask if I ever hear from or think of him. WThay. That was 20 years ago. Gosh people get over it.

Yes, I like my singleness; and after a healthy dating life and dealing with enough childmen, I'm happy to stay all by my loneself. I'm suppose to visit an ex-bow, in south Fl before I head over to Central West Fl to stay with friends for a bit, but, honestly, I'm reconsidering visiting him. He isn't getting the point that I'm most interested in just exploring the beaches in his area and not his anatomy or getting back together. And yes, I still have a healthy appetite, just can't be bothered by outside forces. I honestly don't understand why some people have to have one of them around constantly. I love ya, but ya gotta go home.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Yes, I like my singleness; and after a healthy dating life and dealing with enough childmen, I'm happy to stay all by my loneself. I'm suppose to visit an ex-bow, in south Fl before I head over to Central West Fl to stay with friends for a bit, but, honestly, I'm reconsidering visiting him. He isn't getting the point that I'm most interested in just exploring the beaches in his area and not his anatomy or getting back together. And yes, I still have a healthy appetite, just can't be bothered by outside forces. I honestly don't understand why some people have to have one of them around constantly. I love ya, but ya gotta go home.
Love your attitude! I have to agree on many of your points

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM

419 posts, read 658,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Just a comment on giving reps: You'd have to post a cure for cancer on this thread & the Shoestring thread to get a rep. What's that about? There have been lots of great posts on both threads.

We can all show more appreciation
MN2CO, thanks for the nudge. There are many great & inspiring posts on the threads that you mentioned. Those posters need to be recognized. In my case, it was pure ignorance as to what a rep is. When I began posting, I only learned how to post and didn't bother to read the ins & outs of CD. It was only a few months ago that I learned a little about reps. Now that I know how to rep someone , I will be more attentive in the future.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
No, I don't have my own place to live nor do I have enough money to get one. The kids would pay for a place for me but it's a matter of existing or having some kind of life. Fl has proven to supply better opportunities for the later. They seem to think their unemployment situation is bad there but in a small town in upstate NY you need to check the obituaries to find an open job, and even then you'd better hope you're related to the hiring manager.

I haven't been back to Ca for a generation and hear that it's gotten bad which is hard to believe. My options are limited by my circumstance. I now have to come to grips with the real possibility that I will need to get rid of a lifetimes worth of really nice things and family heirlooms that give me comfort. I was advised that they are not welcome at my sons as his wife insists that tobacco residue (on me too) will kill the new baby. Fl with my friend looks like the best option such as it is and whatever I can afford to take with me. At least I know I can have some fun there and that's important.
Experiences are going to prove to be more improtant to us all than possessions. We are at a new stage in life. In Chinese tradition, I am told, when a woman reaches age 60 (I think) it means "new commitment" or somesuch. It's a commitment to a new kind of life perhaps, one that sheds all the old stuff and takes on a new "skin." We can afford to let go of things because we are now confident in ourselves, whatever our personal situation happens to be. The most important thing is personal confidence with or without possessions. We've made it this far, what do we really need most other than a place to live, food and good friends?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Wow, Wisteria. Did I write that post about psycho xhusbands whose debt you were forced to assume in divorce court or did you? Fortunately my mother was there to take us in and the kids were close to graduation at that point, not that it didn't have lasting effects. It's amazing that so many of us have dealt with the same things.
Yup.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Just a comment on giving reps: You'd have to post a cure for cancer on this thread & the Shoestring thread to get a rep. What's that about? There have been lots of great posts on both threads.

We can all show more appreciation
I agree and try to give as many as possible. I am annoyed though at the unrealistic limit you can give to one poster. For ex, I tried to rep someone I haven't repped since maybe January and I'm blocked from doing it again this month. Seems like that's going overboard on rules (?)

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Yup - not certain of the exact numbers - an "About Forum" search would give you more detail but it's something like 25 reps to other people before you can rep that same person again. If I need to get rid of excess reps I usually hit the photo threads.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM

419 posts, read 658,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Experiences are going to prove to be more improtant to us all than possessions. We are at a new stage in life. In Chinese tradition, I am told, when a woman reaches age 60 (I think) it means "new commitment" or somesuch. It's a commitment to a new kind of life perhaps, one that sheds all the old stuff and takes on a new "skin." We can afford to let go of things because we are now confident in ourselves, whatever our personal situation happens to be. The most important thing is personal confidence with or without possessions. We've made it this far, what do we really need most other than a place to live, food and good friends?
I agree. Isn't it amazing how we see it in our "wiser eyes". It is so liberating.

There was a time in this Country when elderly people were held in high esteem. Our elders were great story tellers. The childen that bothered to listen gained a geat gift. They were taught to keep the stories alive, but unfortunately todays youth could care less.

I grew up on the East side of Detroit. It was a vibrant community of businesses and European Imagrants. So many stories, but tragically so many untold. Today, that neighorhood which was so vibrant is a complete ghetto. Nothing to go home to because nothing remains. It does leave a scar.

It does trouble me how we fought for "women liberation". It seems to me that most young women think that their opportunites have always been there for them.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,066,289 times
I've heard it said that generations today only care or have knowledge back 2 generations, nothing past that. Say, from granddaughter to grandmother, but not to great-grandmother. I think that's pretty true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement