U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

895 posts, read 1,333,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Count me in...front porches, rocking chairs, a nice little wine and a balmy breeze blowing...how can we miss? Carolina Girls rule.

--the Dolphin
as they say "california girls are sexy and new york girls are too, but carolina girls have real good looks and sweet personalities too" ............
giggle even if we are transplants..........bless our hearts.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
TJ TriciaJ

It's the sound of the ocean beakoning that's making us do stupid things. LOL. Just kidding, my friend is harmless, long as I carry some duct tape along for when I become overwhelmed. But, I sure wish that invitation from you were out there before I bought my plane ticket, I've so wanted to visit the carolina beach area for a while. I had even planned a trip there earlier this year that didn't pan out.

After I visit with the ex, I'll be headed to the Tampa Bay area to visit friends. One of my girlfriend's co-worker's, whom I'm also friendly with, bought his first house. He will be having a two part party since it will be his b-day. Hopefully, one of the weekends, while I'm down in Fl, I'll make it over to Sarasota for a couple of nights as well. I probably won't be back in NC till mid July. It pays to have friends when you're poor. Talk about stretching a buck. I'd never be able to afford to get all this done in this one trip if not for such great hosting friends. Not friends that you put out, but ones that actually push you to come visit.

================================================== ========

OK, so to the meat of things. Why would I have left Florida in the first place when I was close to the ocean; had friends to keep me company? Well, yes, I had the friends, and yet I was still lonely, most of the friends I have in Florida, are all working full time, have growing careers, are very healthy, are much younger than myself (no I didn't lie about my age to them ), and quite frankly don't share in a lot of my interest. It gets old explaining about my arthritis and other ailments when I have to say no to many of the activities some of the people in the circle of friends ask me to paticipate in. People, most of you are in your 30's give me a break. The people I ran into my age just wanted to do crafting and go to church.

What got me to NC? It was the holliday season, of which I detest, and I let my daughter get into my head, with promises of sugar plums and everything nice. I was missing my sisters, all deceased, (they passed in and before ages 40's 50's), whom I usually spent my holidays with if not with sometimes. The past few holidays spent with the friends weren't that enjoyable, due to one of the friends that was bi-polar being quite disruptive. Her (bi-polar friend), antics always had negative effects on our small circle that shared major holidays together. We tolerated her, because we cared about her inspite of herself. But holiday season of 2008 I was severly depressed, so, when my daughter got into my head I was at a vulnerable state. I threw away my good sense and early 2009 packed up and moved to this no man's land.

Breatthhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway. The galfriend that I will be visiting in Tampa, is like a sister, we've been close friends, since '88, but we rarely share the same interest other than the beach, we don't even like the same types of club environments, but will apease each other because, well, that's what friends do. She and I have each others back. She already told me if I move back to Fl she'll be happy to be in charge of carrying out my last wishes. She'll even go to battle with my daughter if she has to, to make sure my ashes get spread over the ocean. Whoo Hoo! She really knows how to pour it on thick.

What would I like at this stage in life? For sure to live near the ocean, have a some gal/guy(platonic) friends that I can kick back with; that share in some interest beyond just going to the beach. The going to the beach is a really nice bonus, but I would like to have gal and or guy pals that I can connect with on numerous levels and not just superficial levels. I want to be around people that care about their fellow humans, but have some meat to them. I kid around lots, but I have a pretty serious mind and will tune out as soon as my bullcht meter flickers. And that has nothing to do with my seizures. LOL.

I'm dribbling, (is that the word, some words won't form right away,) what I'm saying is I was sad and lonely, I was missing the kind of close friendships I had with women I knew like my sisters or girlfriends I had back when I was in my teens and twenties. They were the kind of friendships that had substance. I never had to question the quality of the time spent with any of them. We could be serious, stupid, angry, sad, silly, emotional with each other and it was ok. That's why I like coming here, the women (and guy or two) here are smart, funny, caring, no nonsense, kinda people. I feel like I get to come here and have the kind of conversations I've been missing for a number of years. So forgive me If I sound like an arse every so often. OK, more often than not. These days, I rarely meet people I relate so well with on so many things. If I don't obtain the friendships, I at least must get closer to the ocean. Even if I have to crawl there. I guess getting rid of all my crap is the bigger hold up when it comes to moving.
one of the delights about this board is that there are so many similar experiences that we have all encountered or are encountering - it invokes that camp-fire sharing (I'd say s'pri de corps if i could think how to spell it or hoorah or whatever it is that the army/marine guys say)

there is so much in your post that i'll respond to but it's 1:30 in the morning - cringe - and i guess i have to go to bed - but so glad you're getting a vacation in there/a beach time

something that has really stuck with me from trosa's posts and from others is the issue of moving closer to family or whatever/moving based on someone else - not that localities can't change or situations change, but people ALWAYS change - and oft as not, expectations or promises are often not quite what was expected.

i have really anticipated that i would move closer to family/to kids and grandkids/to my parents. And i actually do love Virginia/Richmond/etc, but have struggled with the increased costs as well as other issues.

When I began to weigh the issue of priorities/my priorities, I began to rearrange the order of places. Right now, I am having to consider that with Wilmington NC, I get the city, the beaches, reasonable proximity to mountains, to other places I like to visit and it is beginning to move its way up real high, real fast. The next step will be doing what I swore I would not do and that is sign on to at least a year here/a lease....but ultimately, isn't that part of the process? getting to change your mind (and being answerable only to yourself - yeah!)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM

4,411 posts, read 5,936,697 times
Love, love, LOVE you guys. This is really like therapy, isn't it? I have the same issues with the constant pain, the elderly parent living far away, the nostalgia for family/friends of long ago (but NOT nostalgic about dating and men...very happy being alone, if you get my drift). Oh, and constantly changing my darn mind about what I want to do, and where I want to be, when I grow up! (LOL)

Some of you may remember my dream of last year was to move to Laguna Woods, a huge over-55 in Orange County, CA. I had lived in So. CA from 99-01 and had a ball. But then I realized it's very different now....I wouldn't have the same fun....my one GF got married, and the other moved away. So I sort of mentally crossed that off the list, for now.

Then I thought maybe I'd move in with my Mom in FL...she's 87 and the mind is sharp but the body is frail. It would be cheap (no rent) and it would allow her to stay in her own home longer. But then I rebelled against that idea. I really have a nice social and family life here, and -- though I love Mom dearly -- I don't want to give all that up to move to FL. I'm 60, and already suffering with disabling pain....what if I moved to FL, then came back when I'm in my late 60's and in a friggin wheelchair or something! (But she won't move here, so that's a whole 'nother story.)

And then I had the whole issue of my apartment neighbors complaining about my dogs barking. And the nasty tone of the "note from management" really ticked me off.

SOOOO, ladies, I have news about my next move! I have just made a deal, today, to buy a small house (rancher) with a yard for my little dogs. It's in a nice, stable, middle-class blue-collar community about 15 mi. from here. It's nothing like the Utopia I have here, in one of the most expensive areas of the Phila. suburbs, with its fine stores, classy people and top-rated school district, but I can't even begin to afford a house here. But my priority right now is getting away from complaining neighbors who can stress me out about rule violations, and finding a nice little easy house for me and the doggies. And maybe, if worse came to worst, my Mom would be able to handle it if she had to move in (one-level house).

Well, sorry for the long post but I just had to share the good news! So it looks like Phila. will continue to be my hometown, at least til I get antsy again....which I hope is never....I can't take it financially!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Love, love, LOVE you guys. This is really like therapy, isn't it? I have the same issues with the constant pain, the elderly parent living far away, the nostalgia for family/friends of long ago (but NOT nostalgic about dating and men...very happy being alone, if you get my drift). Oh, and constantly changing my darn mind about what I want to do, and where I want to be, when I grow up! (LOL)

Some of you may remember my dream of last year was to move to Laguna Woods, a huge over-55 in Orange County, CA. I had lived in So. CA from 99-01 and had a ball. But then I realized it's very different now....I wouldn't have the same fun....my one GF got married, and the other moved away. So I sort of mentally crossed that off the list, for now.

Then I thought maybe I'd move in with my Mom in FL...she's 87 and the mind is sharp but the body is frail. It would be cheap (no rent) and it would allow her to stay in her own home longer. But then I rebelled against that idea. I really have a nice social and family life here, and -- though I love Mom dearly -- I don't want to give all that up to move to FL. I'm 60, and already suffering with disabling pain....what if I moved to FL, then came back when I'm in my late 60's and in a friggin wheelchair or something! (But she won't move here, so that's a whole 'nother story.)

And then I had the whole issue of my apartment neighbors complaining about my dogs barking. And the nasty tone of the "note from management" really ticked me off.

SOOOO, ladies, I have news about my next move! I have just made a deal, today, to buy a small house (rancher) with a yard for my little dogs. It's in a nice, stable, middle-class blue-collar community about 15 mi. from here. It's nothing like the Utopia I have here, in one of the most expensive areas of the Phila. suburbs, with its fine stores, classy people and top-rated school district, but I can't even begin to afford a house here. But my priority right now is getting away from complaining neighbors who can stress me out about rule violations, and finding a nice little easy house for me and the doggies. And maybe, if worse came to worst, my Mom would be able to handle it if she had to move in (one-level house).

Well, sorry for the long post but I just had to share the good news! So it looks like Phila. will continue to be my hometown, at least til I get antsy again....which I hope is never....I can't take it financially!
hoorah for avalon! isn't this a cool process??!!! it honestly is therapeutic to "hear" us all thinking out loud! gotta love it.......so absolutely female....the think aloud process ...................

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Great news, we are so happy for you! If you have a pic of your new little place please post it. I think your dogs and any other pets you may get will be in heaven in their own little backyard!!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
Right now, I am having to consider that with Wilmington NC, I get the city, the beaches, reasonable proximity to mountains, to other places I like to visit and it is beginning to move its way up real high, real fast. The next step will be doing what I swore I would not do and that is sign on to at least a year here/a lease....but ultimately, isn't that part of the process? getting to change your mind (and being answerable only to yourself - yeah!)
My sister wants to move from up North here to Wilmington, she has a very good friend there, She wants me to visit with her (I have a son in Raleigh) so keep the board posted on any meetups. I hear that Wilmington is very cool. How are rents or buys there?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,070,096 times
WOW...what exciting news. Avalon, I am so very happy for you...and your dogs too! Please keep us all posted on the move and how things go....I always enjoy your posts.

Isn't it amazing how life works...if your neighbors hadn't complained, you probably wouldn't have made the decision to buy a home for yourself.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM

8,143 posts, read 7,654,313 times
HOORAH! (ref, Tricia's usage) You ladies ROCK! I always loved that marine shout out, makes me all proud to belong. I can see us all now, running to do battle with our nail files in hand. We are "Warrior Goddesses"! We've arrived! Move out of our path, or be crushed. Right after tea time, oh and there's afternoon pedicures, deep tissue massage; wait, wait, what were we rushing to? Brunch? Darn skippy, they better move out of the way. Gosh, suddenly, I'm hungry.

Avalon, congrats on the house, I hope you will be happy, at least you get to have a place to live in peace with some of the greatest companions/frieinds anyone could ever be lucky enough to have.

Newenglandgirl, Wilmington area, Woo Hoo! It would be so cool if you were in NC too. Check out the coastal NC threads. I'm not sure about the rental/realty rates in the area, but I bet you could find something in your range.

I don't know if I've mentioned it in the past, but, Carolina Beach/Wilmington area is one of the places I was considering moving to before I put Florida back on my radar. Sarasota still is in the game, but who knows. Staying in the Carolinas would be a much easier move. I could take more of my junk. Not just the junk in my trunk either.

Tricia, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your thoughts as always.

LittleDolphin, We'll have to see who can rock that chair the longest.

Karen, the pony inference I was making, was a joke about the pony in one of my picture albums, not live ponies. I also realized not a lot of my pictures are in those photo albums. I guess have them spread out on the site. Some in the NC coastal pic area in the camping area. I'm going to see If I can pull up one of my favorite pics from my Falls Lake camp trip.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM

8,143 posts, read 7,654,313 times
Default Camp trip Baby and Pony

Baby from our Falls Lake Camp trip and Pony at Ocracoke across from Blackbeards. The baby pic is one of my all time favorit camping pics, another camp member took the shot posted it to our group site.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-picture-216b.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-new-falls-lake-baby.jpg  

Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM

434 posts, read 992,910 times
Congratulations, Avalon08! I'm so glad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement