U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, that looks great! That's just the kind of thing that appeals to me. Creating our own little "town" within town! Thanks for that! Anyone else think it looks good??
Looks beautiful. Now if only I was ready to retire.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
It does look lovely. I do have a few questions: How far is the nearest decent grocery? What about good medical facilities? Is there any public transportation available? With the price of gasoline, etc. some of these things need to be considered.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM

86 posts, read 321,390 times
Default I'm Ready!!

This place looks perfect. So many of you are looking down the road a few years, but I'M READY NOW!! Seriously. Is anyone else ready to make the transition to participating in a communal "family?" Sheeeeez, am I the oldest person on this forum?

Oh, BTW, Thanks for the "welcomes." Really, since I read all your posts, I am so into this. It is what I've been wanting and looking for for a long time.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM

433 posts, read 991,525 times
Oh my, that ice cream cone looked good!

Mollyblythe, what a find! I can't believe the price. Where I live, that amount wouldn't buy a studio condo.

jdinkc, I'm ready to move now, but I feel unable to live communally for the same reasons I avoided it in the sixties. I'm too impatient for group process. I'd like very much to live near other single people, but co-ownership wouldn't work for me.

Rubirosa, I've ruled out Texas and North Dakota. I'd love to be near family, but I must get outdoors every day and the TX summer heat and ND winter cold make that impossible. I suppose I could spend six months in each place. ;-) Second, I love being carfree. In either place I'd have to buy a car or call a cab to run every errand. Paul Krugman writes about the difficulty of getting along without a car: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/op...rugman.html?hp

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Never under estimate the value of medical facilities nearby when moving for retirement. It is common for peole in these areas to move when they retire for just that reason. Check crefully and you will find many popular areas for retireees that have excellent faclities nearby.Alot of retirees make the mistake of moving out too far then have to move agin after they develop medical problems. I infact know quite a few that died because good medical facilites where not close enough.Its even more important if you live alone.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Never under estimate the value of medical facilities nearby when moving for retirement. It is common for peole in these areas to move when they retire for just that reason. Check crefully and you will find many popular areas for retireees that have excellent faclities nearby.Alot of retirees make the mistake of moving out too far then have to move agin after they develop medical problems. I infact know quite a few that died because good medical facilites where not close enough.Its even more important if you live alone.
This is the reason I'm looking at changing my lifestyle from a 1.6 acre property about 15 miles out of town to a city area after I retire. It will take some adjustment for me to get used to the city density and noise. I'm hoping I can find a nice house on a quite street with a sunny yard for me to continue to indulge in my gardening passion. We'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:37 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
Sheeeeez, am I the oldest person on this forum?

No, I think that I am..... and i am ready to shake off the past and forge ahead. I retire on June 25th. A little afraid, but I really do need a change.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
We must have a "virtual" 'welcome to retirement' party for you!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times
Quote:
Jdinkc:
This place looks perfect. So many of you are looking down the road a few years, but I'M READY NOW!! Seriously. Is anyone else ready to make the transition to participating in a communal "family?" Sheeeeez, am I the oldest person on this forum?
Oh, BTW, Thanks for the "welcomes." Really, since I read all your posts, I am so into this. It is what I've been wanting and looking for for a long time.
Quote:
nancy thereader Sheeeeez, am I the oldest person on this forum?

No, I think that I am..... and i am ready to shake off the past and forge ahead. I retire on June 25th. A little afraid, but I really do need a change.
Quote:
plantlover We must have a "virtual" 'welcome to retirement' party for you!
Wow, I guess we all think we're "old!" I'm 60....eeewwww, I can't believe I'm in that decade now! Yikes! I have to sell my house, though -- I'm getting it ready this year to see about putting it on the market -- now, if I knew it would sell right away and with a decent profit margin, I'd jump in now! Alas, I do not know how it will go.....

Yes! A "virtual retirement party!" Sounds great! I sure do envy you, Nancythereader! Just to have some time to myself sounds good (and not getting up so early every day!) Congrats on your up-coming retirement!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
Thanks, guys. Still have 26 days to go (working days). It is Tressa who is down to the low single digits......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.