U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM

205 posts, read 359,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
wow! we are making the east coast connection! that would be great if us caolinahs could all "meet up"! - last week was the beach music festival here in CB - when the band sang "carolina girls", I felt i could legitimately join in ..............i mean, i have spent the past ten years dealing with a carolina boy/cheering for the wolfpack-dissing the tarbabies/eating eastern carolina bar-b-que/drinking sweet tea and learning to always add "bless her heart" when gossiping........................

karen, we have talked about our crossing paths before -richmond/obx/kdh and I'm going to be jealous of you eating those soft shelled crabs - to die for! used to get them at sam and omies (i think that was the name) and the she crab soup at claires and windmill point....sigh! actually, have found a great chowder in carolina beach at michael's - just won an international competition in boston, in fact and it is fantastic.....

if you are wilmington, it would be a delight to meet up!
"I love beach music; Carolina Girls DA da da DA;" Oh and Carolina Barbecue - best place is on Hwy. 168 at NC/VA stateline - OMG, with a little slaw, hot sauce and sweet tea (which I'm drinking right now). Soft shelled crabs are now in season in OBX - need my fix. When I lived in Raleigh I worked at the State Legislature (good old days) and my best friend and her sister always got a beach cottage (the old kind) in either Carolina Beach or Kure Beach and I would go down for the weekend - friend has since passed away and friends I had there have all moved on in one way or another. Carolina is still my home though - my roots were there since 1973 when son was born in Greenville and after move to Raleigh, daughter born there. And the Wolfpack - don't get me started!!! Was there when Jimmy V was coaching NC State b'ball!!!!! Now those were the good old days!!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
HOORAH! (ref, Tricia's usage) You ladies ROCK! I always loved that marine shout out, makes me all proud to belong. I can see us all now, running to do battle with our nail files in hand. We are "Warrior Goddesses"! We've arrived! Move out of our path, or be crushed. Right after tea time, oh and there's afternoon pedicures, deep tissue massage; wait, wait, what were we rushing to? Brunch? Darn skippy, they better move out of the way. Gosh, suddenly, I'm hungry.

Avalon, congrats on the house, I hope you will be happy, at least you get to have a place to live in peace with some of the greatest companions/frieinds anyone could ever be lucky enough to have.

Newenglandgirl, Wilmington area, Woo Hoo! It would be so cool if you were in NC too. Check out the coastal NC threads. I'm not sure about the rental/realty rates in the area, but I bet you could find something in your range.

I don't know if I've mentioned it in the past, but, Carolina Beach/Wilmington area is one of the places I was considering moving to before I put Florida back on my radar. Sarasota still is in the game, but who knows. Staying in the Carolinas would be a much easier move. I could take more of my junk. Not just the junk in my trunk either.

Tricia, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your thoughts as always.

LittleDolphin, We'll have to see who can rock that chair the longest.

Karen, the pony inference I was making, was a joke about the pony in one of my picture albums, not live ponies. I also realized not a lot of my pictures are in those photo albums. I guess have them spread out on the site. Some in the NC coastal pic area in the camping area. I'm going to see If I can pull up one of my favorite pics from my Falls Lake camp trip.
Oh --- THOSE ponies - the "Nags" from Nags Head!!!

Congrats, Avalon - I bought my townhome last year (first home I've owned in years) and am so happy with my own little corner of the world!

NEG: Wilmington is very cool!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My sister wants to move from up North here to Wilmington, she has a very good friend there, She wants me to visit with her (I have a son in Raleigh) so keep the board posted on any meetups. I hear that Wilmington is very cool. How are rents or buys there?
neg - go to my profile - view celebrate album - can't get it to reorder photos so you'll have to endure the sporadic nature - but that gives you an idea............... this particular place in a nice historic neighborhood/850.00/first floor/

Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
neg - go to my profile - view celebrate album - can't get it to reorder photos so you'll have to endure the sporadic nature - but that gives you an idea............... this particular place in a nice historic neighborhood/850.00/first floor/
Wow, that huge southern charmer with the front porch is where you now live?? or is this a house you are selling? this is what I think of when I think of the south. What is the people makeup of the town, and how close is it to the shore? Alligators, mosquitoes, etc in summer? Hot as hades? But oh those southern evening breezes! (there are some, are there not?)

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM

TJ: Love your photos - as I remember Wilmington neighborhoods! The porch is perfect!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Yippee! Big porch, rocking chairs...ya gotta love it! And the sock puppet of Monkey Junction..whimsey, nice touch.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 AM

62 posts, read 88,063 times
Default Relocation Quandry

Hello. I found this forum quite by accident and I am so glad I did. It is so uplifting and reassuring to hear how other women are dealing with the challenges of relocating later in life.
I moved back to Scotland in November of 2003 to care for my elderly mother. It was quite a cultural shock returning to the land of my birth after 40+ years in the states. My mum died suddenly in 2008 and since then I have been agonizing about where to go. I have a daughter and little grandson in Sacramento Ca but although I wold love to be closer to them I never quite bonded with the city. I love the mountains and the ocean and have looked into mobile homes in Paradise and Placerville---towns in the foothills about 1hr to 1.5 hrs drive from Sacramento but am put off by the high space rents(on something which depreciates like a car) and the restrictions on pets.--somehow i dont think there are too many adult Golden Retrievers that weigh 20lbs. I have been looking at Maine-it reminds me very much of Scotland--prices there are affordable for a small house with enough land for the dog and a garden==my idea of heaven, but I am open to other areas--being a true Celt I do love the cooler weather. In the United Kingdom real estate is extremely expensive but of course we have the NHS-National Health Service which has its flawes but at the end of the day you do not loose everything you have ever worked for just by one catastrophic event or just living with the high cost of medical insurance is daunting.
I have been busy reading so many posts--especially the original one by Wisteria back in 2007 and have seen so many women in the same boat as myself. Much as I love my daughter she is like so many of her age (27) completely wrapped up in her own life--probably just like I was at the same age lol and I fear that were I to move closer I would see her just as often as I did when I lived in the same town--and then it was usually money related.=now as she is struggling with the terrible two's I fear it would "Hi Mummy---heres your grandson" Of course I will always be there forher but I feel after loosing my mum it is now my turn to make a new life for myself I feel like such a bad Nana for not just picking myself up and moving back to Sacramento. but in my heart of hearts I know it isnt the place for me emotionally or financially--besides my ex-husband lives there and although it is a big town--what with certain family events we are bound to meet..
I hope i have not rambled on too long. I am still getting the hang of posting on this Forum so please bear with me. I have truly been inspired and encouraged by all the stories here--something I wish my daughter and I shared but as my cousin in Oz said "you cant put an old head on young shoulders". Thank you for listening.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Welcome, Flyingscot to our little group. Across an ocean is a really big move! If you look back, you will find Wisteria & Nancy the reader found an affordable 55+ mobile home park in Santa Cruz right on the beach. Much much cooler than Sacto. I too don't like the heat - dry or not and seek summers that stay below 90.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 88,063 times
Wink Thank you for the Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Welcome, Flyingscot to our little group. Across an ocean is a really big move! If you look back, you will find Wisteria & Nancy the reader found an affordable 55+ mobile home park in Santa Cruz right on the beach. Much much cooler than Sacto. I too don't like the heat - dry or not and seek summers that stay below 90.
I saw the photos of where they live it looks wonderful. there are many places in California that I enjoy Pacific Grove, Capitola , Truckee etc all so much cooler than Sacto. I remember taking my daughter to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz-its a lovely town.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
I saw the photos of where they live it looks wonderful. there are many places in California that I enjoy Pacific Grove, Capitola , Truckee etc all so much cooler than Sacto. I remember taking my daughter to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz-its a lovely town.
Pacific Grove where a relative of mine lives is very, very pricey. If you can afford it it's neat--but undiversified, if that's a concern. If you like cooler weather maybe Oregon on the west coast and Maine on the east. One of my kids and her spouse may be moving to Maine so I know a lot about some of the cities and towns they took me to...what's remote, what's drivable in old age, where the best neighborhood towns, etc. If you can come and do a leisurely tour this summer that would put you on the ground. I find it impossilbe to do anything by internet, the reality of a place is soooo different than what shows online. Truckee, one summer 10 years ago when I was there, had terrible forest fires so check that out. Wisteria and Nancy-Reader's places seem really perfect if you want a beach town. On city data forum you prbably already know you can type in "city data forum maine" or whatever state and get a whole list of threads related to that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement