U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM

62 posts, read 88,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Pacific Grove where a relative of mine lives is very, very pricey. If you can afford it it's neat--but undiversified, if that's a concern. If you like cooler weather maybe Oregon on the west coast and Maine on the east. One of my kids and her spouse may be moving to Maine so I know a lot about some of the cities and towns they took me to...what's remote, what's drivable in old age, where the best neighborhood towns, etc. If you can come and do a leisurely tour this summer that would put you on the ground. I find it impossilbe to do anything by internet, the reality of a place is soooo different than what shows online. Truckee, one summer 10 years ago when I was there, had terrible forest fires so check that out. Wisteria and Nancy-Reader's places seem really perfect if you want a beach town. On city data forum you prbably already know you can type in "city data forum maine" or whatever state and get a whole list of threads related to that state.
The Maine forum has a wealth of information and advice. I am planning to take a trip but probably after the summer rush of tourists. I have been looking at towns close to Bangor like Milo. Lots of planning before any move as I have household goods here to ship and also in Sacramento

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Though I'm in a long-term marriage, I still wonder where my perfect piece of earth is. Seems some places call to us much more than others. I almost see my place sometimes when I close my eyes--it's a cottage or cabin, smallish, with a front porch that spans the width. If you saw it, 'snug' would be word that you;d use to describe it. Or perhaps, 'friendly.' There are masses of bright-red geraniums in silver buckets on the steps...wind chimes, bird feeders. Rustic rocking chairs. A porch swing. Maybe some whimsical lawn art--maybe a deer or two crafted from found materials.

The cottage is elevated on a knoll and has a long-range view of undulating hills...small mountains, really. This area is lightly populated, meadows and farm land, mostly. There are large hardwood and conifers dotted here and there in groves. In the distance, a river glints silvery-blue. The air smells sweet and there are many birds.

At night, because there's little light pollution, the stars and planets twinkle merrily and clearly. The roads are lightly traveled, my town is small, more a village. There's a Main Street that's been preserved and has a friendly coffee shop, a bookstore with used and new books, several wonderful thrift stores, a well-endowed library with mind-growing events. Maybe there's a diner, a sweet bistro with fresh, locally grown foods served in creative ways. An old-fashioned hardware/general store with helpful guidance on how to fix stuff that goes wrong...

Not too far away is a larger town, almost a smallish city. There I find a college, with lectures, talks, and low fees for auditing classes so I can keep my mind supple. This little city has a large stock of cultural offerings--small theater, musical performances, dance, festivals.

During the growing season, there are many farm stands with luscious vegetables and fruits, some organic, locally harvested honey, and jams and relishes and such. Reasonably priced.

Many artists, writers and crafters make this area their home and some of them have become my dear friends. We often gather for potlucks, drumming, maybe there is a congenial book club, too.

Yoga is nearby and very affordable. We share with one another, help each other out with pet-sitting when needed. Make chicken soup for one another when we've come down with a cold or flu. None of us are well-to-do, some of us must be careful, indeed, with small incomes, but we bring such a richness to one another's lives--and to ourselves--that it doesn't matter. Seems our needs are met with grace and good humor.

There are four seasons, but none are overly severe. The Autumns are long and breath-taking. In the winter, the snow is moderate and ice-storms are rare.

My magical town offers some wonderful opportunities to volunteer-maybe I've helped set up a summer reading program and coached kids in how to write essays and short stories. Their creativity is astounding. We often laugh together--and learn from one another.

My health is strong and vibrant. There are lovely walking trails and hiking in nearby woods and forests. In the winter, I cross-country ski and plan to learn snow-shoeing. The winter woods are "lovely, dark and deep." I feel so at peace there. Sometimes my DH comes with me, sometimes a friend, but often I go with just me and my dog who adores the snow and discovers new scents buried just beneath the surface.

During the warmer months, you'll find me pedaling my bike on the rails to trails biking path that follows the river. This makes me feel like the kid I am at heart. Canoeing and kayaking the river is summertime fun and often a muskrat or deer is spied on the shore...always a discovery around the next bend.

There, I've dreamt aloud, bared my dreamer's soul to you. Please don;t think me daft. For me, it's a simple life, filled with community, contributing, bountiful outdoor activities close to nature..and a bit of writing as I do love words.

Has anyone found found such a place--this place that inhabits my dreams?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Though I'm in a long-term marriage, I still wonder where my perfect piece of earth is. Seems some places call to us much more than others. I almost see my place sometimes when I close my eyes--it's a cottage or cabin, smallish, with a front porch that spans the width. If you saw it, 'snug' would be word that you;d use to describe it. Or perhaps, 'friendly.' There are masses of bright-red geraniums in silver buckets on the steps...wind chimes, bird feeders. Rustic rocking chairs. A porch swing. Maybe some whimsical lawn art--maybe a deer or two crafted from found materials.

The cottage is elevated on a knoll and has a long-range view of undulating hills...small mountains, really. This area is lightly populated, meadows and farm land, mostly. There are large hardwood and conifers dotted here and there in groves. In the distance, a river glints silvery-blue. The air smells sweet and there are many birds.

At night, because there's little light pollution, the stars and planets twinkle merrily and clearly. The roads are lightly traveled, my town is small, more a village. There's a Main Street that's been preserved and has a friendly coffee shop, a bookstore with used and new books, several wonderful thrift stores, a well-endowed library with mind-growing events. Maybe there's a diner, a sweet bistro with fresh, locally grown foods served in creative ways. An old-fashioned hardware/general store with helpful guidance on how to fix stuff that goes wrong...

Not too far away is a larger town, almost a smallish city. There I find a college, with lectures, talks, and low fees for auditing classes so I can keep my mind supple. This little city has a large stock of cultural offerings--small theater, musical performances, dance, festivals.

During the growing season, there are many farm stands with luscious vegetables and fruits, some organic, locally harvested honey, and jams and relishes and such. Reasonably priced.

Many artists, writers and crafters make this area their home and some of them have become my dear friends. We often gather for potlucks, drumming, maybe there is a congenial book club, too.

Yoga is nearby and very affordable. We share with one another, help each other out with pet-sitting when needed. Make chicken soup for one another when we've come down with a cold or flu. None of us are well-to-do, some of us must be careful, indeed, with small incomes, but we bring such a richness to one another's lives--and to ourselves--that it doesn't matter. Seems our needs are met with grace and good humor.

There are four seasons, but none are overly severe. The Autumns are long and breath-taking. In the winter, the snow is moderate and ice-storms are rare.

My magical town offers some wonderful opportunities to volunteer-maybe I've helped set up a summer reading program and coached kids in how to write essays and short stories. Their creativity is astounding. We often laugh together--and learn from one another.

My health is strong and vibrant. There are lovely walking trails and hiking in nearby woods and forests. In the winter, I cross-country ski and plan to learn snow-shoeing. The winter woods are "lovely, dark and deep." I feel so at peace there. Sometimes my DH comes with me, sometimes a friend, but often I go with just me and my dog who adores the snow and discovers new scents buried just beneath the surface.

During the warmer months, you'll find me pedaling my bike on the rails to trails biking path that follows the river. This makes me feel like the kid I am at heart. Canoeing and kayaking the river is summertime fun and often a muskrat or deer is spied on the shore...always a discovery around the next bend.

There, I've dreamt aloud, bared my dreamer's soul to you. Please don;t think me daft. For me, it's a simple life, filled with community, contributing, bountiful outdoor activities close to nature..and a bit of writing as I do love words.

Your dream sounds like the absolutely perfect place!!! Heavenly, just wonderful - I would like to find such a place, also.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Default Grants Pass Oregon

Quote:

Gosh ~~ You have described Grants Pass Oregon~~ or even more so is Ashland ~ maybe I should bloom where I'm planted

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,272,089 times
If I find it I won't tell anyone as then it will soon become overpopulated! LOL

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Your dream sounds like the absolutely perfect place!!! Heavenly, just wonderful - I would like to find such a place, also.
Little Dolphin, you described perfectly what all of us want! Some of your wishes are in my little home--but I think you forgot to add "low property taxes"

I was thinking today that this thread needs a theme song. I think we should have a contest for lyrics about a woman looking for the right place to land at a certain age, and get some of you composers to set it to a tune. Any takers? Then we can form a chorus to sing the songs, cut an album and go on the Oprah show.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 PM

8,138 posts, read 7,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I was thinking today that this thread needs a theme song. I think we should have a contest for lyrics about a woman looking for the right place to land at a certain age, and get some of you composers to set it to a tune. Any takers? Then we can form a chorus to sing the songs, cut an album and go on the Oprah show.
That's a hoot.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
I'll start (sung to the tune of Home, Home on the Range):

"Oh give me a home where my doggie can roam...."

Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,053,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Gosh ~~ You have described Grants Pass Oregon~~ or even more so is Ashland ~ maybe I should bloom where I'm planted
I was thinking Mt. Shasta for the food, bistros, coffee, artists. An old hippy's paradise.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
I'll start (sung to the tune of Home, Home on the Range):

"Oh give me a home where my doggie can roam...."
Clever girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement