U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Imagine......That song says it all!
I worry way too much about man-made disasters, natural disasters, high taxes, government regulations, etc. etc.
I've found a prime property in Oregon. I've got the money to purchase it. I've got family connections (in the solar business)to make living off the grid unnoticible except for the non-existant utilities bill and lack of an automatic dishwasher and no central vacumn!(They burn up too much electricity) The property is 20 acres. Dog friendly! I want a roomate! I'll build a modest second dwelling for my roomate if she desires it. The property is about 15 miles from town with a creek running thru it. Anyone interested? Oh, it's in Southern Oregon, near Grants Pass. (Oregan has a 9% flat tax on income, ouch! But, no sales tax!
Fairwinds
Sounds really nice. You appear to be a hardy person esp if you're headed into older years. I admire that and wish I had the physical abiity to be so! Best wishes on this fabulous adventure!

 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Reputation: 1230
Cool Neighbors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Imagine......That song says it all!
I worry way too much about man-made disasters, natural disasters, high taxes, government regulations, etc. etc.
I've found a prime property in Oregon. I've got the money to purchase it. I've got family connections (in the solar business)to make living off the grid unnoticible except for the non-existant utilities bill and lack of an automatic dishwasher and no central vacumn!(They burn up too much electricity) The property is 20 acres. Dog friendly! I want a roomate! I'll build a modest second dwelling for my roomate if she desires it. The property is about 15 miles from town with a creek running thru it. Anyone interested? Oh, it's in Southern Oregon, near Grants Pass. (Oregan has a 9% flat tax on income, ouch! But, no sales tax!
Fairwinds
I live about 8 miles outside Grants Pass ~~ so it looks like we will be neighbors
 
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Imagine......That song says it all!
I worry way too much about man-made disasters, natural disasters, high taxes, government regulations, etc. etc.
I've found a prime property in Oregon. I've got the money to purchase it. I've got family connections (in the solar business)to make living off the grid unnoticible except for the non-existant utilities bill and lack of an automatic dishwasher and no central vacumn!(They burn up too much electricity) The property is 20 acres. Dog friendly! I want a roomate! I'll build a modest second dwelling for my roomate if she desires it. The property is about 15 miles from town with a creek running thru it. Anyone interested? Oh, it's in Southern Oregon, near Grants Pass. (Oregan has a 9% flat tax on income, ouch! But, no sales tax!
Fairwinds
If I was closer to retirement, I'd definitely consider taking you up on it!!
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,138 posts, read 7,643,924 times
Reputation: 6931
Ok, two more nights in NC and then I'm off to S Florida. Will finally get some time at the beach. No more day dreaming about hearing the sounds of the ocean's waves making beautiful music. I'm gonna plant my body right at the line of the shore where ocean meets sand. Maybe not that close, but close enough.

I will be thinking of you ladies and hoping you all are all doing well and enjoying the coming days. I always look forward to reading the postings.
 
Old 06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
A month or so ago I mentioned I was going to visit Cleveland to visit friends and check it out as a place I might want to relocate. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. With all the negative comments I have heard about it, I found it to be a nice city with a lot to offer.

My friends took me around the area where she lives; Cleveland Heights and also Lakewood. I liked them both. The cost of living there was so much less expensive than Portland where I live now I feel I could easily afford to live in a nice apartment on SS and a part-time job. Of course everyone told me how the unemployment rate is not all that different from Portland's but there is one thing Cleveland and other cities do not have that Portland has; the mystique that it is the place to be this side of Nirvana, so the competition for jobs and housing is not as intense.

I liked the look of the parts I saw of Cleveland. I think I could find part-time employment at either the large University Hospital or the Cleveland Clinic. It may not be Nirvana but it suits my needs.

I am still going to look a the Denver area and possibly Knoxville. Minneapolis, especially the nice senior housing in Edina MN2CO showed me are still definitely on the list.
 
Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A month or so ago I mentioned I was going to visit Cleveland to visit friends and check it out as a place I might want to relocate. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. With all the negative comments I have heard about it, I found it to be a nice city with a lot to offer.

My friends took me around the area where she lives; Cleveland Heights and also Lakewood. I liked them both. The cost of living there was so much less expensive than Portland where I live now I feel I could easily afford to live in a nice apartment on SS and a part-time job. Of course everyone told me how the unemployment rate is not all that different from Portland's but there is one thing Cleveland and other cities do not have that Portland has; the mystique that it is the place to be this side of Nirvana, so the competition for jobs and housing is not as intense.

I liked the look of the parts I saw of Cleveland. I think I could find part-time employment at either the large University Hospital or the Cleveland Clinic. It may not be Nirvana but it suits my needs.

I am still going to look a the Denver area and possibly Knoxville. Minneapolis, especially the nice senior housing in Edina MN2CO showed me are still definitely on the list.
Good, interesting comments about Cleveland. Keep us posted about Denver, Knoxville and Minneapolis....all places in which I have a interest.
 
Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Reputation: 16283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A month or so ago I mentioned I was going to visit Cleveland to visit friends and check it out as a place I might want to relocate. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. With all the negative comments I have heard about it, I found it to be a nice city with a lot to offer.

My friends took me around the area where she lives; Cleveland Heights and also Lakewood. I liked them both. The cost of living there was so much less expensive than Portland where I live now I feel I could easily afford to live in a nice apartment on SS and a part-time job. Of course everyone told me how the unemployment rate is not all that different from Portland's but there is one thing Cleveland and other cities do not have that Portland has; the mystique that it is the place to be this side of Nirvana, so the competition for jobs and housing is not as intense.

I liked the look of the parts I saw of Cleveland. I think I could find part-time employment at either the large University Hospital or the Cleveland Clinic. It may not be Nirvana but it suits my needs.

I am still going to look a the Denver area and possibly Knoxville. Minneapolis, especially the nice senior housing in Edina MN2CO showed me are still definitely on the list.
Cool! Sounds like you had a nice visit. I have only been to Cleveland 3 times and each time was brief - for a wedding, when my ex's mom was ill and then for her funeral. I think my impression was from when we were traveling from pt A to B and on 2 of those visits, someone screamed at ME while we were at a stop light. I happened to glance out my window and got a "What are you looking at!" WTH! I told him to step on it and get us out of there. Once would have been freaky but on 2 different visits - I said "Nice town" and he laughed.

You obviously didn't experience this. Go where you will feel comfortable and if you already have friends there that will be a plus.

I have to say, that area I took you through where the senior housing was, is a nice spot. Lots of stores, medical buildings, walking trails, kayaking, summer (free) concerts. If the co op is too expensive, the lower cost housing across the street is nice. You'd never have to worry about it turning into slums because this is Edina, ya know, and they just wouldn't allow it to happen.

Welcome home - lots to think about.

Plantlover - I didn't know you were interested in Mpls. If you plan to come this way, let me know!

Stealthrabbit was at the co op the SAME DAY Minervah was here but we didn't know this - probably drove right past each other (shame on SR for not telling me she was coming!!!)

I have this unnatural NEED for some chocolate - doesn't happen often but I won't be content til I have it so - later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Old 06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Reputation: 2225
I will be flying into Minneapolis from Billings, MT in August, but have, literally, only a couple hours layover before I continue down to Miami. I spent a summer as an intern at the Univ. of MN Landscape Arboretum many years ago. I fell in love with MN at that time. The people, the land, the lakes, the general vibe of healthy living and enjoying the outdoors no matter what season - I like that!!
 
Old 06-19-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Reputation: 16283
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I will be flying into Minneapolis from Billings, MT in August, but have, literally, only a couple hours layover before I continue down to Miami. I spent a summer as an intern at the Univ. of MN Landscape Arboretum many years ago. I fell in love with MN at that time. The people, the land, the lakes, the general vibe of healthy living and enjoying the outdoors no matter what season - I like that!!
Back - got some chocolate and now I'm as happy as a pig in ~~~~.

So, Plantlover, are you looking at MT also? Glad to hear you liked it here. I swear when I read some of the posts on CD I think people believe we still hitch our horses to the post in front of our houses and we have Russian winters here Think Dr. Zvago. When you look at a 12 month period, we have better weather than many parts of the US.

So, now I have more sorting to do - I read that Libras can have a tough time making decisions - never thought so before but I do
 
Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Reputation: 23726
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
... I spent a summer as an intern at the Univ. of MN Landscape Arboretum many years ago. I fell in love with MN at that time. The people, the land, the lakes, the general vibe of healthy living and enjoying the outdoors no matter what season - I like that!!
Me too. but I'm not quite ready for it, yet....(winter / humidity)
The people are wonderful, and I could do with a few 'hot-dishes' instead of the 'hot-heads' in my current area.

Quote:
Minervah...Denver area and possibly Knoxville. Minneapolis, especially the nice senior housing in Edina MN2CO showed me are still definitely on the list.
On second thought, I better get signed up for the waiting list at Becketwood. It can be a 10-15 yr wait for some co-ops) Becketwood
Quote:
Stealthrabbit was at the co op the SAME DAY Minervah was here but we didn't know this - probably drove right past each other (shame on SR for not telling me she was coming!!!)
whoops, gotta keep a 'Stealth' image ya-know I was at 7500 York from 10 - 11:30 then Realife Valley View noon to 1:30pm. Patty (manager) is great here, you gotta get to know her!!! She'll straighten you out!... Then I visited several other co-ops and senior places trying to LEARN all about senior housing co-ops. Then several 'Homesteads' (which are more my style... small towns... I don't do stoplights). Senior Cooperative Foundation
But, Becketwood is tops for a 'rural setting within the city' and on the greenbelt + very attractive facility, and nice mix of residents.

Having done Colorado for most of my first life... till age 28, it is tempting.
In fact today I'm looking into a 'caretaker' position in Allenspark (very near a previous home 'Mary's Lake')
I'm also looking into Knoxville / Oakridge, but probably for an investment prop that I can visit during fall and spring. (My 'end-game' is to not have a primary residence, but income prop with an apartment for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Back - got some chocolate and now I'm as happy as a pig in ~~~~.
How did you know I just devoured some of this ?Tillamook | Our Products | Udderly Chocolate I'm telling you there is a conspiracy against me at the local grocery that is running a $1.99 sale for 1.75 qt of this stuff

LC can have the beans, I'm going to 'check-out' with Chocolate (Only 5.5 months of 2010 left (2010, the perfect yr to 'check-out').

But, Oh My... The strawberries I got today!!! (30#)
Yes, IceCream and Strawberries! (& Chocolate )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top