U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 AM

2,759 posts, read 3,428,251 times

Advertisements

I'd retire to a town miles away from Las Vegas, NV. Maybe I'd retire to a desert town surrounded by mountains. I love nature and privacy. When the urge to socialize came, I'd meet with friends/acquaintances at the more populated areas.

My city experiences left me leery (spelling?) - and weary - of the general population. So I'd go to where the breathing room is ...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, I am really impressed by those designs! With the high cost of housing in California, that would be a perfect solution to get affordable housing in small spaces! I know I have seen some small designs before, but these are remarkable.

Check this link out, too. It is all about liveable spaces without cars, smaller homes, affordability -- very cool site. Lots and lots to look at. Browse around and I think you will be impressed:
CoolTown Studios

Thanks for posting those links!
Wisteria
Is there a link to actual studios? Those that are available now?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,246,699 times
No, no, it's not "studios" as in "apartments," -- it's a "work" studio. It's a concept. If you go through various headings, do a search for say, "walkable neighborhoods," you'll find a ton of stuff. This is put out by younger people who are moving into urban areas and revitalizing them -- they don't want to drive -- they want restaurants and shops within walking distance. They are money-conscious. (Which gives hope that perhaps our ideas will live on after we have gone on...) It's a very interesting site.

Of course, they also have things about living spaces, apartments, all kinds of stuff. Their main goal is to help those who are into education, culture, and want to live in a walkable area. They work with architects and designers to create these kinds of spaces. They search the world for prototypes.

The website's name is "Cool Town Studios," as in like "movie studio." I've been following it for so long, it didn't even occur to me to think of it as an apartment-type place. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,406,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just made some delicious fudge for a co-worker's birthday. There was some left over. If you ever come to Portland, I'll make you some.
If I am ever there I will let you know - thanks! Anyone remember Aylalou? She still plans on moving from Stpl to Portland OR - maybe you can make some for her!

Wisteria - Cool site.

Our skies opened up and it is pouring, thundering and there are tornado warnings in the western part of the state. I have my flashlight, candles, etc... ready just in case. We had 20 tornadoes in one day last week - extremely rare (none were in the metro).

Best go get some things done in case our power goes out - enjoy your weekend!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is there a link to actual studios? Those that are available now?
There are several cooperative owned artisan living / studio / retail (as in art, not hollywood )

Here is a shared equity one in Seattle Apex Belltown Cooperative | (http://www.artisttrust.org/node/2516 - broken link)
$422 / month + $2265 buy-in (refundable + equity gained at move-out)

Maybe I will check out Denmark, as they have lots of this type of housing. (maybe one reason it is #1 in 'happiness' index)

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
No, no, it's not "studios" as in "apartments," -- it's a "work" studio. It's a concept. If you go through various headings, do a search for say, "walkable neighborhoods," you'll find a ton of stuff. This is put out by younger people who are moving into urban areas and revitalizing them -- they don't want to drive -- they want restaurants and shops within walking distance. They are money-conscious. (Which gives hope that perhaps our ideas will live on after we have gone on...) It's a very interesting site.

Of course, they also have things about living spaces, apartments, all kinds of stuff. Their main goal is to help those who are into education, culture, and want to live in a walkable area. They work with architects and designers to create these kinds of spaces. They search the world for prototypes.

The website's name is "Cool Town Studios," as in like "movie studio." I've been following it for so long, it didn't even occur to me to think of it as an apartment-type place. Sorry for the confusion.
I went through the site and shared it with a family member who is into urban planning. It's all about design, problem solving, and innovation. When was the last time we saw that?? Thanks for posting the link.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM

967 posts, read 921,022 times
Hello, Everyone! It's been a really long time since I last posted, but am feeling a bit lonely and finally have a bit of time to spare. Well......I did it!!! Sometimes I can barely believe it myself, but I am now living in the southwest. I moved 1,800 miles across country by myself to an area where I knew no one. My adult son was kind enough to take his time to drive a moving truck out here for me, and i followed after closing on my house a few weeks later. It all happened so fast! I tried to make the move in 2009, but couldn't then, so had to rush back, pack, and find another place in Il. to move to. Nothing available to rent with space for my dog, so wound up buying again. I lived in that house for 10 months before selling it and moving here to Az. Just decided to stop living in the world of "what if's" and just do it.

It's been totally exhausting and scary and frustrating and yes, I've made mistakes along the way, but all in all I'm glad I did it now instead of waiting until the time was 'just right". I've only been here a month, so am not settled in yet, nor totally unpacked. Despite the heat, I love it. The fibromyalgia hasn't given me any trouble. Hooray!!!! I'm eager to start exploring and meeting people, and longing to get to the library. But of course, there's a lot to do when first moving into a house----especially one bought on foreclosure, with much missing.
I have 2 adult sons. Both have children. But I seldom get to see them, and the weather where I lived really contributed to my illness. I wish we could all be close, but don't anticipate that happening anytime soon, if ever. I mention this because there's been a lot of discussion about whether to move away from family; also whether to move from the comfortable, familiar "home" area to someplace totally new. But my sons live in different states, and I needed to be someplace warm and dry. They both encouraged me to do this, so it was with their blessing that I undertook this big life change.

I moved from a smaller city (25,000) where it only took 10 minutes to get to anyplace in town, to an area in the far, far "suburbs" that isn't closer than 20 minutes to much of anything. I've never lived in a subdivision. That has taken some getting used to. The conformity bothers me. I was a designer for most of my life, so the sameness of all our homes disturbs me somewhat. This entire area was built in the last 5 yrs or so. I've lived in homes over 100 years old in Il. Such a different feeling!!! But, you know, it's alright. I just have to adjust a bit and I'll be fine.

I feel so fortunate! I love it here! I love the open sky, the mountains, the sunshine---even the heat!I love having no grass to mow or snow to shovel, no inclement weather to spoil plans. The monsoon season is coming, so that will be new to me. Wonder how that will be?

I am glad to get away from the same town my ex and his new wife live in. I'm glad to get away from pre-concieved notions of who I am, or who I should be; of the past riding on my shoulders everywhere I went. This is all mine!!! This is for me. Not for my kids, not for my family, not for a husband----but for me. I'm really excited. Wonder how it will go from here.........
Thanks for letting me sound off. I love reading this thread!
artangel

Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I am glad to get away from the same town my ex and his new wife live in. I'm glad to get away from pre-concieved notions of who I am, or who I should be; of the past riding on my shoulders everywhere I went. This is all mine!!! This is for me. Not for my kids, not for my family, not for a husband----but for me. I'm really excited. Wonder how it will go from here.........
Thanks for letting me sound off. I love reading this thread!
artangel
Congrats, Artangel! This is how it should be!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,487,869 times
Just given what I read in your post, I think you have a lot of options. You said you like sunny, dry weather -- does that also mean arid climate (low humidity)?

We traveled the country looking for our next stop, and because we still need to earn an income -- especially after this trip!, we were encumbered by the need to find jobs. The present economic conditions restricted our choices considerably, there were a lot of endangered communities out there.

Still, we saw many, many thriving communities that would meet your needs. I personally loved the Midwest, including Indianapolis and its surrounding small towns. I wish we would've visited Columbus, because after we were far beyond, we heard so many nice things about it. Fond du Lac, WI was a GREAT town. Asheville, NC is very nice, and has a great artistic flair, but I thought it a bit pricey for what you would be getting.

I was looking for a smaller community that still had all the medical/dental, cultural, and recreational opportunities. I THOUGHT I would like a college town, but many of those were disappointing because they were 20-something centric. I was looking for a diverse community with informed citizens that appreciated arts and were environmentally conscious.

In drier climates, we were pretty pleased with Golden CO, Logan UT, and I am pleasantly surprised that I am enjoying this leg of the trip, presently in Ennis MT.

My advice would be to do spend some time identifying what you want to do in retirement, and then do some research to select your top ten. The internet has so many resources, like C-D, but also most local newspapers are online, you can watch their weather. Many towns even have webcams. Google is your friend.

Once you come up with your top five, go and visit. Spend at least a month, unless you hate it. But even if you do, ask yourself why. Really get to know yourself. (I know these nearly two years of traveling has really brought around my ways of thinking!)

Narrowing it down to your favorite two, spend six months -- even a year. Flip a coin. What the heck, you'll be retired, but you don't have to stay if it is clearly not for you -- go to the other one. If neither work, go back to your notes. Or start over.

Sorry for the massive reply, hope it helps.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,063,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Congrats, Artangel! This is how it should be!
Ditto. Keep us posted on how your new life proceeds. We only have a handful who have actually done this and then we rarely hear from them again. Maybe because they are so happy after the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement