U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks~~

- where do i find "advanced search"?

- how do I contact Yac or Markablue?
Probably the best way is to just send a DM to Yac.

Sometimes when I want to send a DM to someone I do a search on their messages and pick one and send a DM from there.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Ah, Italy! How nice! I just discovered low-income (HUD) Senior housing here and am going to put myself on some lists. I know it takes many years to reach people on the list, but I'm going to do it anyway.... I went down and looked at one place this weekend. I heard about it from someone in the park who knows a lot of people who signed up (including her) and she was upset that a couple had received preference over herself for a one-bedroom. It ends up that they have more studios (for one person) than one-bedrooms, so I guess they took the couple first. Anyway, it is just down the street from the boat harbor, within walking distance of the grocery store, restaurants and shops, and on a bus line. Beautiful grounds, a pool and hot tub and a community garden. Three stories, a dining room, lounge with fireplace, and separate patios for each. It's $2150 market rate and that includes two meals a day. With HUD, it's a third of your income. So, I thought that with working longer and raising my S.S. and pension, maybe I could make it up to market rate anyway, and if I became desperate, could take one of those! Obviously, HUD is the way to go, but I'm mulling over options. (The income ceiling for HUD here in this area is $42,000/year -- which I am no where near!!)

That gives me a lot of years here anyway in the park, but I am just trying to think ahead. The Senior housing is not an assisted-living facility, although they do have a nurse on-site. It's merely a Seniors' housing complex in a very good part of town. I discovered there are more around, so I may put myself on a bunch of lists considering the time frame is so long to be called. But I don't want my daughter being responsible for me as I age, so it's something I'm looking into.
You may end up in the one my ex mother in law lives in! LOL It is pretty nice, somewhere near Monterey. She is in the subsidized program, paying about 650/month.

I've decided to do a search for senior housing and that will determine where I finally move. I am in a big college area here and there's sr housing next to the university but it's a high-rise. I don't think they allow pets. I need to find something that is really nice and then will put my name on the list. It takes at least 3 yrs for your name to come up. Like you, I feel nearly done with owning a home. My only fear is noise level and compromised privacy (plus, a lot of these senior places smell like cigarette smoke when you walk in...in the lobby). I can envision something on one level.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM

NEG - In the blue strip above next to "New Post" is search

Once that opens, find Advanced Search
When that opens type in the name you want to use in the "user ~~~" field

As you type, different like names may appear below showing names currently in use. If the name you are hoping to use comes up - sorry - you will have to select another.

Try the next name you want and continue until you find one that works.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
Quote:
NEG: You may end up in the one my ex mother in law lives in! LOL It is pretty nice, somewhere near Monterey. She is in the subsidized program, paying about 650/month.

I've decided to do a search for senior housing and that will determine where I finally move. I am in a big college area here and there's sr housing next to the university but it's a high-rise. I don't think they allow pets. I need to find something that is really nice and then will put my name on the list. It takes at least 3 yrs for your name to come up. Like you, I feel nearly done with owning a home. My only fear is noise level and compromised privacy (plus, a lot of these senior places smell like cigarette smoke when you walk in...in the lobby). I can envision something on one level.
I think you said your ex-mother-in-law is in Pacific Grove?? Correct? That is right next to Carmel -- which is a multi-millionaire haven. So, if she got one for $650/month, she is living in a millionaire's world for basically nothing!! What a deal!!

I'm up in Santa Cruz, which is about an hour from Monterey -- it's on the opposite side of the Bay -- you can look straight across from Santa Cruz to Monterey. Monterey is very small, though, PG (Pacific Grove) is tiny, and Carmel is small and so are Seaside and Marina -- which are the main towns in that area. I wouldn't mind living in Carmel in subsidized housing -- that would be cool!!

And here in California, it is very unusual to see smokers. No one is allowed to smoke in any public building here, and you must be at least 20 feet away from a public building to smoke. I'm always surprised when I do see a smoker because they are so rare.

They have smaller housing places, too, but that is the only one I actually went in and toured. I did not see one person smoking, and I know for sure that the law states one couldn't do that anyway. So, being a non-smoker, too, that is a non-issue to me because the laws are so strict here -- and most people aren't smokers anyway. Out of over 100 people in our department we have two smokers -- and they must move far, far away from the building to smoke. They are basically ostracized! Really. It's just not common here.

And the privacy thing -- they were set up like any apartment building -- separate doors, locks, etc. It didn't seem that different to me. No, with no savings or investments, for me, it would be good. I don't want to own again, I wouldn't have the money to buy anything anyway, and I don't want a mortgage anymore. So, this is my back-up plan, as long as I live that long!!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM

If I could move into one in/near Carmel, I'd move tomorrow. Wisteria - check into it!! And stop talking about not living long enough - you're going to jinx yourself!!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times
It's funny so many are mentioning the senior housing, I've been looking into those units myself for when I reach 55, figured I might be able to get in on my disabilities or at least get a head start on the application process since getting in seems to take a good while. I already contacted Sarasota housing, but I have to call back to speak to a specific person for the housing project I was looking into. I'm also thinking of contacting the housing authority in Hollywood Florida, I'm just not sure about moving to the area, my ex, the one I visited, works for the county in various planning capacities. I know I could ask him to assist me, here and there, but things are just too complicated between us and I don't want to make things any more difficult than they are at the moment. Think I did enough damage as it is. Sigh.

I am holding out from steam rolling ahead too soon with a move to Florida considering my main desire is beach access near a warmer cliamate, but with this whole BP thing, and the hurricane thingy pushing possibly looping the oil all over the coast, moving there may be pointless. So I'm going to wait and see and plan frequent visits for the time being.

My daughter was very upset when I first told her I was planning to move back to Fl, but seems she's finally growing up and had some very encouraging things to say. Things are looking up on that front at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed. My daughter just moved into a new place, I will spend Sat visiting her and her family. The new place is about 10 minutes closer to me, which puts it about five minutes down the road

Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OK, all you ladies AND Livecontent - what cha been up to???????

I get lazier every day so it's time I get a pt. time job and get it together again. Hey NEG, I made that White Chicken Chili today - so good!!!!!!!

Tesaje is going to be rollin rollin rollin down the road soon - sounds fun!

OK, remember us? Check in!!
Well, I had such a fun day! (not) I noticed my elderly sick and dying cat had some odd fur on his back so I examined it to find a real bite. The evil extra cat attacked him yesterday (I heard some complaints) because I made him stay inside due to the excessive heat. So when I get ready to pack him up to go to the vet, the extra cat comes in limping and with a very sore paw. Now I have to take 2 to the vet. $$$

The vet shaved the old boy and revealed a nasty looking wound. Not deep but it looks like his skin is not healing. Couldn't find the source of the evil cat's wound so we concluded the old boy got one claw in him. I finally get them back with tons of medication and bandages. The old boy seemed very uncomfortable and made complaints for a while which he rarely does. He finally went upstairs where he stayed the rest of the afternoon and evening. As sick as the old boy is, this may finally be what does him in if his skin won't heal.

After a good long nap, the evil extra cat wanted to go outside on 3 paws. Maybe I should let him and he won't come back.

It is still hot and nasty here. I do not like this summer weather. I've been out in it waaay too much getting all the stuff done to get the van and it just makes me feel ill. But, I'm all set to get my new (to me) van RV - just waiting on the dealer to get their stuff done.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Tesaje: Your poor old kitty! Just like heat gets to us an can make us cranky, animals get the same way but naughty kitty needs to be confined so the older one doesn't feel punished for something he didn't do.

You've got guts lady! I admire that you are movin along with your plans and will one day soon climb into your "new" van/camper and take off.

Fun times!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Quote:
Tesaje: Your poor old kitty! Just like heat gets to us an can make us cranky, animals get the same way but naughty kitty needs to be confined so the older one doesn't feel punished for something he didn't do.

You've got guts lady! I admire that you are movin along with your plans and will one day soon climb into your "new" van/camper and take off.

Fun times!
I confine the evil cat regularly. He gets agressive when he can't go outside. The old boy used to be able to fend him off. i just can't quite figure out how traveling with him could possibly work.

my trip is just a trip. the van will make it easier with pets because of the AC. I have family I need to visit for a bit. I've done solo traveling all my adult life so it doesn't seem gutsy at all to me. Now if I were bicycling across the country solo, that would be gutsy!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Probably the best way is to just send a DM to Yac.

Sometimes when I want to send a DM to someone I do a search on their messages and pick one and send a DM from there.

OK, will give it a try, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement