Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,911,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm sorry to say he got worse and worse. He started hemoraging pretty much all over. I'm pretty sure he was feeling miserable but the old guy still purred at me when I touched him. Took him in this morning and the vet put him down. He purred till he lost consciousness. So the evil extra cat finally got his wish.

The old boy just couldn't handle the 3rd strike. He was a great cat that I will miss a lot. He lived a good life and was a gentleman cat. I buried him next to his dog buddy who died 2 years ago. We had a good long run.

The evil extra cat was subdued today. He spent most of the day outside sleeping next to the driveway. Just stepped out and saw 3 deer helping themselves to my blackberries. No wonder I haven't found any ripe ones! Maybe it is time I get a dog again. They never came this close to the house when I had dogs.
Are you taking this cat on the road with you? A lot of cats do not travel well. If this is one of those....I'd find a semi?permanent home for him.

I'm so sorry about your beloved cat. No one who doesn't have a wonderful cat can understand the loss.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think I might have outgrown this area already and now with the BP oil gusher am thinking it would be safer to move away from parts of the country that some say are at highest risk from the residue of the toxic gaseous clean up methods used that could create toxic rain and ruin crops. I'm sort of looking for an intentional community that is semi-survival oriented that is off grid as much as possible! Emily
How far up the eastern seaboard is this mess supposed to travel?
I do think this is a huge concern for those looking to relocate.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out about intentional communities. Is there a separate thread for this?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 AM

8,737 posts, read 9,424,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How far up the eastern seaboard is this mess supposed to travel?
I do think this is a huge concern for those looking to relocate.
I feel like this whole BP thing is a huge cloud over my life's decisions at the moment. I so want to move to move back to Florida now. After my visit to South Fl, I felt rejuvinated like I did on my first visit, back in the 90's, when I visited and then chose to move to the Kissimmee area. I believe I have found an area that suits my personality. The people were fun, friendly, diverse and had real personality. Plus there were numerous places at the beach, on the broadwalk, to get thin crusted pizza. And how could I pass up a place that offers free concerts, at the beach, every evening. Never a dull moment. I usually prefer a quiet beach, but I just fell in love with the place in spite of myself. When I want a more serene atmosphere, there are more than a dozen other beaches within 5-15 miles.

Hopefully, I will be able to give my notice of my pending departure from this area by Nov. Keeping my fingers crossed. Even if there will be residuel fall out from the spill affecting SF, hopefully, I'll have a year to three to enjoy it's shores before I have to move on. I will see what I can do to help with the efforts to keep the area as clean as possible while I'm there.

So far the forcast have been good for the oil not reaching the area shores of SF, but that's today, tomorrow may be a completely different story, but I'm hopeful. I've already started downsizing my apt wares.

Last edited by TRosa; 07-12-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 AM

Dear friends,

I've changed my name b/c I do not necessarily feel NewEnglandGirl represents me. I am now "Latashia" after a wonderful Great Aunt Letitia (which means "joy"--something I am now going to cultivate in my life!).

Latashia
(formerly NewEnglandGirl)

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,493 times
I like it! I love change!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,233,451 times
What? First Umbria, now Latashia? All this sudden change!

Oh yeah, changing our lives and living choices is what this thread is all about ....

(Latashia puts pictures of that silly cartoon with the idiot mountie and the girl perpetually being tied to the train tracks and saved at the last minute. (sorry)

Umbria puts in images of the bucolic Italian countryside with grape vines on steep hillsides.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
What? First Umbria, now Latashia? All this sudden change!

Oh yeah, changing our lives and living choices is what this thread is all about ....

(Latashia puts pictures of that silly cartoon with the idiot mountie and the girl perpetually being tied to the train tracks and saved at the last minute. (sorry)

Umbria puts in images of the bucolic Italian countryside with grape vines on steep hillsides.

Well, we wanted a cool name like yours I had to watch one of my favorrite movies last night - "My House in Umbria" - what I wouldn't give~~~~

Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,424,733 times
Change is good. I like the new names you both chose. Was thinking of changing my legal middle name to Bella . Nah, too much paperwork, plus too close to my baby sister's middle name Isabella. But I've been know as Rosabella in the distant past. Not on this site of course.

Just realized Bella is the name of that character in Twilight, Yikes. love the movies, don't want the association.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,401,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Are you taking this cat on the road with you? A lot of cats do not travel well. If this is one of those....I'd find a semi?permanent home for him.

I'm so sorry about your beloved cat. No one who doesn't have a wonderful cat can understand the loss.
Oh..so SORRY to hear about your loss. I found a lot of comfort at www.rainbowbridge.com when I lost my beloved first kitty who died way too prematurely. (He turned me into a cat person and I unfortunately made so many mistakes with him-- 99% of which were following the conventional vet's advice and not using Natural health and natural medicine soon enough-- even tho my insticts told me to.)

AT the Rainbow bridge ceremony, they have a candle lighting ceremony every week at a certain time so everyone with a furbaby that has just passed on can light a candle to help all the furbabies make the transistion easily. Those with sick pets usually join in as well.

My cat's death inspired me to learn how to build websites so I could have something permanent to remember him by. This was back in the 90's and I had AOL back then and have since left AOL but forgot to take down the site so some Middle Easterners copied it and are calling it theirs.

CLEVER CATS!(How to Trick & Behavior Train Cats)

I had trained my apparent Maine Coon cat Rudy(that died) and my current Norwegian Forest cat Weejie to do tricks and the site, built in Rudy's memory, is mostly about how to behavior and trick train cats...Now that I've gone this far on the tangent, I may as well provide the link. You can see both of them doing most of the tricks I trained them to do as well as detailed text of how to train your cats to do the same thing on that site.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM

121 posts, read 291,754 times
Sorry to hear about your cats' maladies. We all outlive our pets unless they are Parotts, tortoises, or some other long lived creature. My cats average 17 years living in my home and protected from disease, predators, etc. My large dogs average 10 to 12 years, feeding them the best quality food available without carceringenic preservatives. I've planned for this, introducing a one year old puppy to my 7 year old *****. I match the cats age with a buddy. I've got two nuetured male cats who are two years old. This is my 4th set of cats. I haven't been keeping dogs as long and I've staggered the ages on the dogs. The young learn from the old and training is easier. I know I will outlive my dogs. The longest living large breed dog is the standard poodle, with a lifespan up to 17 years under the best of circumstances. My two nuetured male cats, (two years old) spayed female German Shepherd (8 years old) nuetured male German Shepherd 1.5 years old all sleep with me on my queen size bed. I love my pets! I will continue to adopt another when one leaves for heaven. That's the way it is and that's the way I continue in the love of my adopted pets. When I finally get to heaven, there will be a huge pack of former pets waiting for me with love. Pets are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement