U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 AM

62 posts, read 88,063 times

Advertisements

PS - I just read your post about your daughter being in CA and a grandchild....so there really is no choice, is there??? (:[/quote]

Hi Latashia,
I would like to be closer to my daughter and grandson especially as when I had my daughter my mother chose to stay in Scotland. I now understand her reasons but missed having her in our lives.Like many mother and daughter relationships it has been a rocky road at times. We havent talked for weeks now--no response to my last email-I had made her an authorized user on 2 credit cards--primarily because I knew she was struggling and it was for emergencies but many of the charges were for eating out etc,trip to a nail salon so I pulled the plug since then there has been no communication. So I wonder if I did the right thing bailing her out so often and maybe i should stop agonizing and move forward to choosing to live where I am doing it just for me.
I enjoy reading the posts about all the different states. I loved my time in Denver when I was stationed at Fitzsimmons. There are so many beautiful places to visit. I must admit I am not so keen on flatlands--love the mountains.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post

PS - I just read your post about your daughter being in CA and a grandchild....so there really is no choice, is there??? (:
Hi Latashia,
I would like to be closer to my daughter and grandson especially as when I had my daughter my mother chose to stay in Scotland. I now understand her reasons but missed having her in our lives.Like many mother and daughter relationships it has been a rocky road at times. We havent talked for weeks now--no response to my last email-I had made her an authorized user on 2 credit cards--primarily because I knew she was struggling and it was for emergencies but many of the charges were for eating out etc,trip to a nail salon so I pulled the plug since then there has been no communication. So I wonder if I did the right thing bailing her out so often and maybe i should stop agonizing and move forward to choosing to live where I am doing it just for me.
I enjoy reading the posts about all the different states. I loved my time in Denver when I was stationed at Fitzsimmons. There are so many beautiful places to visit. I must admit I am not so keen on flatlands--love the mountains.[/quote]

--------------------

From Latashia:

The mountains in Maine are far inland and, to me, really remote and cold in winter. Middle Maine to the coast is flatter with some rolling hills. You'd want to spend serious time there before moving there. I don't know how old you are but a list of all your must-haves is important, outside of the factor of where your daughter and grandchild live.

This whole thing about grandchildren is , quite frankly, what is keeping me from making a move. The couple in question (why don't they hurry up and have a kid???) lives 15 min from me. This particular son of mine is NOT likely to move from here, cuz of her parents who are here. My other kids are scattered and not permanently settled. One is moving to Maine and has asked me to come with her and her partner. ?????

One thing to consider is, you may not have a great relationship with your daughter, but you may have a great one with your grandchild, if your daughter allows you access. If she does not, that can be heartbreaking and the farther you live away from them, perhaps the better. Sometimes long-distance relationships with family works better!! As your grandchild grows you can alwys send her a plane ticket to visit Grammy! and form a nice relationship without all the other baggage.

Anyway, I would suggest you rent a nice little studio apt for 6 mos in each place before you decide. That's two very different sides fo the country you're talking about! And good luck in your decision

Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 AM

52 posts, read 143,990 times
Default Hi Everyone

Although I haven't posted in ages and was more of a shy lurker than poster in the past, I wanted to say hi and that I am enjoying all the posts, as usual. It sounds as if everyone is having a good summer and some with exciting trips planned. Wisteria, I always look forward to your posts and seeing what you are up to with your new home, etc. Hope work is going better for you. Has anyone heard from Anomoly? GloridaBG

Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM

98 posts, read 534,684 times
Trosa, I never heard of meetup.com so thanks, I googled it and sadly there really is not much for older women's groups and none at all for the special needs for what has been talked about on this thread. Also sadly when checking any of interest they show that most the time only 3 people are showing up at a planned meeting. Or they seem to keep changing the place and/or date. Some of the groups that do have more attend are 99% much younger people or people looking to network their business.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 AM

62 posts, read 88,063 times
Wink Test Run

--------------------

From Latashia:

Anyway, I would suggest you rent a nice little studio apt for 6 mos in each place before you decide. That's two very different sides fo the country you're talking about! And good luck in your decision [/quote]

Hi Latashia,
Renting is excellent advice in a new location just till you find your feet and see if you and the new place are a good fit. Im lucky that I have lived in California(primarily Northern California) for over 35 years so know it pretty well==living somewhere is so different from just holidaying there. I know the family situation will improve unfortunately both of us are stubborn and hard headed--so its a work in progress.
I love hearing all the stories about all the things that go into making that move and finding that special place to live be it near or far--always such an inspiration.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,640,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asassyvic View Post
Trosa, I never heard of meetup.com so thanks, I googled it and sadly there really is not much for older women's groups and none at all for the special needs for what has been talked about on this thread. Also sadly when checking any of interest they show that most the time only 3 people are showing up at a planned meeting. Or they seem to keep changing the place and/or date. Some of the groups that do have more attend are 99% much younger people or people looking to network their business.
Sassyvic,

I'm sorry that you've not had good luck with the meetup groups in your area. So far every area I've lived in, I've always found great groups. I guess it just depends on the area you live in and how the people choose to interact.

The group that I camp with, more than half of the people are over age 40 but, depending on activities planned we get them as young infants along on various outings. see my fav pic attached which takes you to the Camping & Travel thread. Camping & Rving picture thread the 9th post on the page, I believe.
I tried to upload the pic but couldn't so I supplied the link to the pic on that page.

With meetup.com, some areas do have age specific groups, namely groups geared, specificly, towards the mature woman. There's one group I was looking forward to joining in the Ft lauderdale area, a real fiesty group of women that are putting some young folks to shame when it comes to kicking up their legs and having fun. They may be a little too much for most, but they seemed like my kind of gals. I won't be able to join that group, but I've found a number of, interesting, groups that are active in the Sarasota area. As I said, I guess it depends on where you are located. Where I am in Greenville, there aren't a lot of groups, but just not too far away in different dozens and if I'm willing to go an hour or so, hundreds.

Try doing a general search for other groups in your area, ask at your library or senior center. Usually the library has those flyers/local papers that list activities geared to our age groups.

Happy searching.

Rosa

Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some suggestions if you have time...

Have a blast, you are a bit early for popcorn season, but I have friends in Colorado who could fill up your semi-truck, or at least your trunk! I'm not sure how well supplied they are towards the end of the season. Farm fresh is always better

some of my favorite spots in Colorado are Independence Pass and Maroon Bells (near Aspen / Snow Mass), but CO was home for 25 yrs, so lots of places I like (lived near Estes Park). Garden of the Gods is great if you are in Colorado Springs.

For Wyoming, I like Encampment / Saratoga(free Hobo Pool) / Snowy Range (west of Laramie).
Vedauwoo (east of Laramie) Vedauwoo - Google Search

all time favorite place is ~ 5 miles west of Wolcott Jct on Hwy 14a between Dayton and Lovell. Powell is my kind of town (the locals bought their failed Mercantile as a Co-op, and it is now doing well). It is fun to hang around country stores in small towns.

While in Red Lodge, DO NOT miss Beartooth Highway into NE Yellowstone. It is rated as #1 scenic Highway in USA. Beartooth Highway
Wyoming
America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

Of course, The Tetons are worth the drive. I like to be there for sunrise, so I often drive at night (Yellowstone traffic drives me nutty, nighttime is a good time to get through the park). I sleep in my car a few hrs (and hope I don't sleep through sunrise!!!). If you get a chance do a float trip from Jackson Lake Dam to Jackson Hole. You get to float under the bridge used in film "Spencer's Mountain" (that'll take you back a few yrs...1963..). Got to see lots of Moose and Elk kiddos last float through there.

Have a super fun time, I love road trips. I will admit TX was a stretch.

Thanks to ALL for your good wishes on my trip. Very interesting that you mentioned Powell, StealthRabbit! It just so happens that this town is one place we will visit - after we get settled into Red Lodge. Powell is where my great aunt lived and my family visited her in 1959, then took her with us into Yellowstone. I have been, over the past few months, checking on info about Powell, reading their online newspaper, etc. - and in the back of my mind - it is on my list as a possible place to retire. Any info you can give to me would be much appreciated!

We do plan on visiting Yellowstone and will certainly go on Beartooth Highway.
Another place that we will stop and visit on the trip is St. Francesville, Louisiana. It is an area filled with old, restored plantations. I would not like to live there (too hot, humid) but I do enjoy history and old homes.

OOOOOO, OOOOO, I am getting so excited! I wish that I was leaving tomorrow!!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Default Fluff N Puff Dog Wash pics

Pics from my volunteer gig with the Greenville Humane Society's Fluff N Puff Dog Wash Event Sat July 17, 2010
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-042.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-044.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-046.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-048.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-052.jpg  

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-054.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-056.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-061.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-062.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-064.jpg  

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-067.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Fluff N Puff Dog Wash...and Car Wash

More pics from the Greenville Humane Society Fluff N Puff Dog Wash...and Car Wash
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-068.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-069.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-070.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-071.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-072.jpg  

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-073.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-074.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-075.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-076.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-077.jpg  

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-055.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-dog-car-wash-057.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asassyvic View Post
I'm not that familiar with Meetup.com but couldn't you start your own group and see if anyone else is interested? Even three would be a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement