U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times

Advertisements

I usually take I64 across KY to St Louis then I70 to Den. Probably will do this going but I might take a different route on my way back. I'm not all that fond of the prairie, having spent way too many work trips there. But I have seen a few things here & there that looked like it needed investigating but I never had the time before. The bloody heat might be the biggest deterent in this summer trip. If the cats don't drive me crazy. ;-)

I found those free campsite web sites that would come in handy. I'll learn the tolerances of my batteries and how to sip the electricity instead of gulping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tesaje- have a great safe trip, Which route are you planning to CO? Remember many small rural towns allow free camping in city parks. I happen to be partial to these stops enroute (your tastes may vary , I sure hope so)
The Villages of Van Buren . . Antiques-Hunting-Fishing-Canoeing-Hiking-Historic Sites-Lakes and Parks . . You'll find it all in Van Buren County, Iowa! (Iowa)
Windmill State Recreation Area - Attractions, Pictures, Camping, Hotels and Resorts in Nebraska
Pioneer Village (nice shady camping with free / discount admission - beware of thunderstorms!!)
Ole's Big Game Steakhouse, Lounge, & Restaurant offering great Pheasant Hunting, Fishing, a Days Inn Motel for lodging, an RV Park, and Campgrounds - Paxton, Nebraska! (good steaks)
Cabela's Sidney, NE Retail Store : Cabela's Retail (free camping, 'fun store')

I also like this route through Kansas. (I Love the prairie)
North and parallel to I-70, through Manhattan / Lincoln / Denmark, KS (Sand hills)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM

9 posts, read 25,755 times
Well,
I am a single mom of 2 tee4ns. I am 50, sole supportive with my own painting business. I plan to relocate to New Bern, NC at the end of the year. I have researched the area for a few months now, previously I have been looking all over NC. I am a New Englander; born and breed and live in a small coastal town. I chose New Bern for the similarities in my own town. I love small town living, as it just seems friendlier and easier to get info. New Bern seems to have a lot going on for a little town.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Contact the chamber of commerce for information, also google the town you are interested in.
Carol

Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash.painting View Post
Well,
I am a single mom of 2 tee4ns. I am 50, sole supportive with my own painting business. I plan to relocate to New Bern, NC at the end of the year. I have researched the area for a few months now, previously I have been looking all over NC. I am a New Englander; born and breed and live in a small coastal town. I chose New Bern for the similarities in my own town. I love small town living, as it just seems friendlier and easier to get info. New Bern seems to have a lot going on for a little town.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Contact the chamber of commerce for information, also google the town you are interested in.
Carol
Hi Splash! I have a sister possibly moving to New Bern for winter months. Are you going to restart your business there? Best of luck in your new home

Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 AM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Welcome, splash.panting,

Even though New Bern isn't all that far from Greenville, I've never visited the area. I it will be a place that suits you and yours well.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 AM

62 posts, read 88,092 times
Smile Still Searching

Hello Again,
Since the deal to buy a mobilehome in Pollock Pines CA(near my daughter and grandson) fell through. I have been thinking that although it is nice to be close to family we all know adult children move and have their own lives--and that just moving close by does not mean a sometimes rocky relationship will be dramatically tranformed. So in the mantra of "To Thine Ownself Be True" I am still looking at other areas where my money will buy the small home and enough land (for my longed for dogs) and so many other states offer so much more.
I saw a CD thread about Off Grid living in the mountains of Tennesssee and a couples journey building a home there. It is such a beautiful area do any of the posters here have more information. It is such a dilemma the oceans or the mountains I love both Just somewhere where I can breathe,have a garden and the essential furry companions
As before I am so glad I found this forum--I always find such inspiration.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Hi Splash! I have a sister possibly moving to New Bern for winter months. Are you going to restart your business there? Best of luck in your new home

Latashia,
I will be taking my business with me. I am just a small painting contractor, however, I have done quite a bit of work "solo" on new construction and renovations as well as repaints and repairs. I prefer it that way.
Thank you for the encouragement. I feel I may need it.
If you have any info on the Derby Park area, it would be helpful.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Welcome, splash.panting,

Even though New Bern isn't all that far from Greenville, I've never visited the area. I it will be a place that suits you and yours well.

TRosa,
Thank you. Greenville was another option for me, however when I discovered New Bern I decided to give it a try. I am from a coastal community so it just seemed fitting.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash.painting View Post
Latashia,
I will be taking my business with me. I am just a small painting contractor, however, I have done quite a bit of work "solo" on new construction and renovations as well as repaints and repairs. I prefer it that way.
Thank you for the encouragement. I feel I may need it.
If you have any info on the Derby Park area, it would be helpful.
After your last post I did search and found a thread on New Bern that had some posts about both sides of living there, many positive ("nice historic town"), and a number quite negative (including drugs and household invasion--in the "lower income" parts of town--and I can't remember if Derby Park is that area or not). "Little to do at night." "Don't go downtown at night"--differing comments. I suggest googling an online crime map.

What was the weather like today on the NC coast? As hot and humid as inland?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Hello Again,
Since the deal to buy a mobilehome in Pollock Pines CA(near my daughter and grandson) fell through. I have been thinking that although it is nice to be close to family we all know adult children move and have their own lives--and that just moving close by does not mean a sometimes rocky relationship will be dramatically tranformed. So in the mantra of "To Thine Ownself Be True" I am still looking at other areas where my money will buy the small home and enough land (for my longed for dogs) and so many other states offer so much more.
I saw a CD thread about Off Grid living in the mountains of Tennesssee and a couples journey building a home there. It is such a beautiful area do any of the posters here have more information. It is such a dilemma the oceans or the mountains I love both Just somewhere where I can breathe,have a garden and the essential furry companions

Maine

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM

419 posts, read 658,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Hello Again,
Hi, flyingscot47

Lisa and her husband have been building a home off grid in NE Tennesse. While it is gorgeous country, it is rather isolated. It is near Mountain City a tiny burg of 2,400 people. To do any serious shopping, you would have to go to Boone, NC or Abingdon, VA. However, it is only about a 30 minute drive. I don't know about the condition of the roads to get there.

I live in Kingsport, TN, which is one of the cities in what is known as the Tri-Cities area of NE Tennessee. Kingsport, Johnson City & Bristol are the 3 cities that is known as the Tri. Johnson City is the largest city with 60,000 people, and is very close to North Carolina, Kingsport with 45,000 people is very close to Virginia and Bristol with 25,000 people shares a border with Bristol, VA. While these cities are similar, they do have very distinct differences. Johson City is home to Eastern Tennesse State University. Kingsport has a wonderful restored downtown area as well as the greenbelt a walking trail along the Holston River. Bristol is also doing great things with their downton as well as having the largest Nascar racting track in the region. People travel on great highways to all of the cities on a constant basis. All of the cities are located about 20-30 miles from each other. All cities are surrounded by beautiful country.

After extensive research for a retirement location, I moved to Kingsport in December, 2009. I bought a small condo in a great area and am surrounded by mountain views & wildlife. In fact, Kingsport is smack dab in the mountains. A few months ago, I witnessed a deer just out my back patio door giving birth. It was quite a site. I also have a ground hog living close by. It is nothing unusual to see deer, raccoons, wild turkey and ground hogs in the neighborhood. When it rains, the mountains look a lot like the Smokies.

We are in the admist of "Fun Festival". It is a festival that has been going on for 30 years. Continual activities going on in downtown every night of the week. The senior center has their own "senior fest". It is a very active center offering special interest classes, as well as agressive exercise classes. There are many day & extened trips. Mackinac Island, MI, and New York City, are just a couple of recent trips that were offered. There is a trip planned to Savanah, GA in September and a Mediterranean cruise in October. There are several day trips to the fantastic regional Barter Theatre in Abingdon, VA. The theatre was built in 1933, and the actors Gregory Peck & Patricia Neal got their start there. The Barter continues to attract great talent.

An earlier poster on this forum, Knoxgarden has provided wonderful information on her adopted home town of Knoxville, TN. You may want to do a search of her posts. Crossville, TN located on the Cumberland Plateau has become a retirement mecca in recent years.

In my mind, Tennesse is an area filled with wonderful history and wonderful areas to photograph. In fact, Daniel Boone began his exploration of the Cumberland Gap just up the road from where I live. There are also many small towns to discover with their own uniqueness. Jonesboro is a charming town that is known as the "story capital of the world" It is a short drive away.

This area tends to be conservative. There is absolutely no pressure to conform because the attitude here is live & let live. Actually, there are a few liberal churches that dot the landscape.

I would imagine if you are looking for coast living, then the prices of propery would be quite high. The Carolinas come to mind, but may be expensive. Maybe the gulf coast of Georgia or Alabama would work.

If, I was to live on the water it would be the Great Lakes. I grew up in Detroit and love all of the fresh water. Wonderful waterways that I miss to this day. Very, very cold in that area, but still very beautiful. Not Detroit (sadly) , but Western Michigan is beautiful as well as areas along Lake Huron. We had one poster who found her peace in Wisconson along Lake Michigan. Another poster is looking at Cleveland, a pretty great idea in my mind.

Most people seem to be hung up on weather. If you could find the perfect place where you fit in, then would weather be an issue? Maybe or maybe not. It is a personal choice.

You must soul search and decide what is important to you. Are you extemely liberal? Then. maybe the South wouldn't work for you. We live in a vast country and attitudes and values vary from region to region. You will find your place, but you must do extensive research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement