U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM

62 posts, read 88,054 times

Advertisements

You must soul search and decide what is important to you. Are you extemely liberal? Then. maybe the South wouldn't work for you. We live in a vast country and attitudes and values vary from region to region. You will find your place, but you must do extensive research.[/quote]

Hi CB,
Many thanks for all the great information regarding the region. I have done a lot of soul searching and I think one must try to find the place that makes ones soul sing if it is close by family that is wonderful but I know if my daughter and grandson did not live in Sacramento I wouldnt even think of moving back there---there are wonderful areas like Pollock Pines but budget wise it would mean probably a mobile home with the accompanying restrictions(especially the pet ones) It would be wonderful to live in an area with some Scottish-Irish heritage--there was very little of that in Sacramento.
I agree the weather can be a component but if you love the area you adapt just like I did to the heat of the central valley in Ca. I like the attitude of live and let live--liberalism in Ca appealed to me in my twenties and thirties -not so much now.I am doing a lot of research and will be making some trips to check out the different areas. I love one of the last lines in the movie The Ghost & Mrs Muir where the Captain tells her that only she can make that journey and find her way safe home to harbor in the end. I feel like that is what I am doing. Again thank you for the history and info

Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,633 times
Hello Wisteria,
I just found your post and will read all the answers ... but thought I'd post an answer since I find myself in exactly your situation. Am living in Marina del Rey, CA and looking into Grants Pass or Ashland to move to myself! Have lived many places around the world ... just ended up here for many reasons . Now I am looking for tranquility and peace, but am not ready to move into a "retirement facility" . Thought of getting a home with several bedrooms and renting them to other seniors ... so I wouldn't live there alone!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Talking It's a buyer's market in Grants Pass & Ashland !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo3439 View Post
Hello Wisteria,
I just found your post and will read all the answers ... but thought I'd post an answer since I find myself in exactly your situation. Am living in Marina del Rey, CA and looking into Grants Pass or Ashland to move to myself! Have lived many places around the world ... just ended up here for many reasons . Now I am looking for tranquility and peace, but am not ready to move into a "retirement facility" . Thought of getting a home with several bedrooms and renting them to other seniors ... so I wouldn't live there alone!
I live less than 10 miles from Grants Pass and can attest to the lifestyle for a retiree ~~ it IS very tranquil, peaceful and low stress

Of the two choices, my favorite is Ashland. If I had it to do over ~ I'd try to live there but five years ago the prices of homes were at their peak. Now there are many bargains all over the area. Your idea of renting out rooms is EXCELLENT ! It will allow you to live in an upscale area and cover your expenses.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,637,849 times
grrrrrrrrrrr, I lost my post. ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

summary. Daughter doing guilt trip about my moving just before holidays. She's being silly, since, she and I never really do anything special; we didn't even spend x-mas or NYears eve together last year. Guess I was supposed to wait till Next year to suit her comfort level.

Just shoot me now. PLEASE!

Hope everyone's having a good week.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
grrrrrrrrrrr, I lost my post. ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

summary. Daughter doing guilt trip about my moving just before holidays. She's being silly, since, she and I never really do anything special; we didn't even spend x-mas or NYears eve together last year. Guess I was supposed to wait till Next year to suit her comfort level.

Just shoot me now. PLEASE!

Hope everyone's having a good week.

Is your daughter living near where you are now? Does she have kids? Can you move any sooner (just b/c it might be harder on you to move at that time). Are you buying a house or renting in Colo?

Tell her you'll welcome a visit for New Year's, after you're settled in your new place. Unless you're moving to a very tiny place so there's little chance of that...but you could always line up a B&B for her. Good luck getting your needs across!!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Is your daughter living near where you are now? Does she have kids? Can you move any sooner (just b/c it might be harder on you to move at that time). Are you buying a house or renting in Colo?

Tell her you'll welcome a visit for New Year's, after you're settled in your new place. Unless you're moving to a very tiny place so there's little chance of that...but you could always line up a B&B for her. Good luck getting your needs across!!
Oh, I was just venting; she can guilt me all she wants, been there done that with her, just needed a few moments to scream. At least this time she didn't wait till I was on the train and start balling her eyes out and telling me how awful I was for leaving. OK, I'm not completely that strong, I do feel a bit of pain, but I know better and I know what's best in this siutation for both of us.

And yes, my daughter, has a teenage daughter and they live near me, about five minutes drive. I told her, I would be back to visit. (lies) I'm not coming back to this town, it's time she comes visit this broken old gal. I will be renting in Florida. There will be room for her to visit, always can make room either at my place or friends, that's never been an issue. She just wants what she wants. Too bad, mommy dearest will be out of reach. I doubt my daughter will be able to get away from her job during the holiday season to visit me in Florida.

I've stated in an older post that I moved to, NC, at my daughters proding; with promises that never materialized. Of course, I should have known better, but, I was caught up in a moment of depression and weakness. My daughter, later confessed, that she just didn't want to have to travel far if something happened to me. LOL, gotta love her. I trust my friends in FL to carry out my last wishes more so than anyone else; so, I'm going back where I'm most happiest and that's near the ocean, beaches and warmer climate. When I'm gone, my friends can springle me in the ocean and be done with it. When I last lived in FL, I wasn't close enough to the ocean, this time, I hope to be so close it won't take more than 5 minutes to get there and I be able to smell it from my window. Hopefully I won't smell oil mixed in.

Just so you all know, I'm not upset, so no condolences are necessary. Once I vent, I'm good especially since, I understand my bratty daughter (she's my 35 y/o tike) will be 36 this month still going through the terrible twos. And people wonder why I stopped at one child.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
TRosa - OK, no condolences. Why is it that your mother/daughter story is so prevalent? It just doesn't make sense. Females, regardless of the relationship, just can not get along well long term (generally).

Glad you're doing what you want to. Let them come to you.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
TRosa - OK, no condolences. Why is it that your mother/daughter story is so prevalent? It just doesn't make sense. Females, regardless of the relationship, just can not get along well long term (generally).

Glad you're doing what you want to. Let them come to you.
Sometimes I do put my foot in mouth. My statement about no condolences didn't come out sounding quite right. I just meant and should have said, I'm not stressing the situation. Therefore, hope I gave no one reason to feel bad for me, because I'm just fine.

I'm always happy to hear from you ladies, wasn't trying to stop anyone from chiming in on the situation. Like I could stop any of you, even if I wanted too.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Talking TRosa.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sometimes I do put my foot in mouth. My statement about no condolences didn't come out sounding quite right. I just meant and should have said, I'm not stressing the situation. Therefore, hope I gave no one reason to feel bad for me, because I'm just fine.

I'm always happy to hear from you ladies, wasn't trying to stop anyone from chiming in on the situation. Like I could stop any of you, even if I wanted too.
The distance from NC to FL is not all that far, a 2-day pleasant drive

When I relocated from s/FL to the PNW it created a 3k mile distance from my daughter but she has since made the effort to visit me at least once a year. We hope to both live on the same coast one day

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
The distance from NC to FL is not all that far, a 2-day pleasant drive

Oh that's just mean. LOL TRosa

When I relocated from s/FL to the PNW it created a 3k mile distance from my daughter but she has since made the effort to visit me at least once a year. We hope to both live on the same coast one day
I feel ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement