U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tesaje:
"can we trade?? I want to leave the city . "

lol. I'm still about 3 years away from relocating. Besides, I'm further north than you want.

Is it just wanting what we don't have? Sometimes I wonder. There is a lot I like about my place, but the older I grow, the less I want one piece of property to take all my time like this one does.
Isn't that the truth? I feel the same way. I have too much property to keep up on my own, and I just want to be in town where I can walk to the store. If I had a whole family living with me, that'd be different. But by myself, it's just too much for me. I can see a family with kids adoring my land -- near the beach, in the woods, lots of space for pets and kids....just for me, though, it's not what I can retire with comfortably. I hope I can find that family that is looking for this nice space -- the woman I bought from was really sweet (I knew her slightly), and the place just has such a nice vibe.

For me, although I like the northeast, I cannot imagine being an old lady and slipping on ice, or shoveling snow, or being snowed in, or dealing with huge heating bills, bugs in the summer....the list goes on and on. I, too, like DancingEarth, have grown used to a Western lifestyle.

Quote:
Dancingearth:
Place and our identity is an interesting topic but unlike watching people's energy and interests and guessing their astrological signs (sometimes I get it right), how would you prove that a place has certain effects on certain signs? I'm sure there are books on the topic but it doesn't hold much interest since I'm not going to test it out. It would be fun to hear your stories if you do though.
I agree that there are many variables. However, I did have an astrocartography done and found it very interesting. When I lived in Phoenix, I had a real mixed bag. Part of it was very successful -- I had gotten a job with a well-known holistic clinic with some top-notch people in the field. I had many interesting experiences there. On the other hand, I felt really depressed there and things seemed "difficult." It ends up that I had a Jupiter and Saturn intersection right on Phoenix! So, that explained the real highs and the real lows.

I moved to Boulder, Colorado, which I liked best out of all the places I've lived, although I am not going back there now. There was just a Uranus line, and I didn't see much else.

Then when I moved to Seattle, things just dropped into place. Seattle is on a Jupiter line for me (a "good luck" line). I knew someone from back east who hooked me up with a job at the college, I found an apartment to rent from someone who had lived in the same neighborhood as me from back east (!), and I met my husband there and had my daughter there. Unfortunately, my marriage also ended there. Plus....and this is something astrocartography cannot control -- the weather was just horrid. I knew I hated rain before I moved there, but I had heard it wasn't much compared to where I was from -- I was wrong. That constant mist, those heavy gray clouds, the very short summers, were just not for me. My Seasonal Affective Disorder was horrible. It was a beautiful setting, I had some really good things happen but the weather....

In California, I am on a Mercury line -- I have noticed that each time I have lived in California that I have much higher pay. Now, of course, California has higher salaries in general, but it made a huge difference to me. I never thought of Mercury as money, but for me it's turned out like that. It's been a stimulating environment, I've had to "think" a whole lot, but I haven't had the "easy" times of Jupiter, nor the "love" of Venus.

So, am I inserting my own explanation of astrocartography, or is astrocartography really working for me? In other words: Which came first? The chicken or the egg??

Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
For me, although I like the northeast, I cannot imagine being an old lady and slipping on ice, or shoveling snow, or being snowed in, or dealing with huge heating bills, bugs in the summer....the list goes on and on. I, too, like DancingEarth, have grown used to a Western lifestyle

Totally agree. I can't wait to start my new life. The next chapter, please......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
For me, although I like the northeast, I cannot imagine being an old lady and slipping on ice, or shoveling snow, or being snowed in, or dealing with huge heating bills, bugs in the summer....the list goes on and on. I, too, like DancingEarth, have grown used to a Western lifestyle

Totally agree. I can't wait to start my new life. The next chapter, please......

What's the count now? 20?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,275,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I wanted to say hi and welcome SeeBee. Are you thinking of moving when you retire? What are you looking for in a place?
And I must say thanks, to all of you who left messages, for the warm welcome. I am already retired, working part-time to help cover some necessay items.

Ideally, I would love a snowy winter, a small community, and not very harsh summers. To me, better snow than heat. As little hummidity as possible, etc. You know, the perfect place!

I love the idea that's been thrown around here, about a community feel; isn't that some what like the earthship communities were about? I'm not much a "commune" type person, but believe in sharing work and fortune (food, water, etc.).

Very good desciption of your being near water - you are now at the bottom of what used to be an ocean! Good imagery.

By nature, I am drawn to northern New Mexico, and the Black Hills. To me these are the most beautiful places I've ever seen. (But never been to SD). Alaska is gorgeous, but there's a reason the population is so low...well, there's my snow!

There's so much to share, but that's the short run of it! I like kelly237's description, except for that part about the states which have pretty high humidity - compared to what I'm used to!

Seems a lot of folks on here are into astrology, etc. Is that the case? A lot of artists, too. I must admit, I haven't read the entire thread. Still enjoy learning, even by bits and pieces....

Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Quote:
SeeBee: By nature, I am drawn to northern New Mexico, and the Black Hills. To me these are the most beautiful places I've ever seen. (But never been to SD). Alaska is gorgeous, but there's a reason the population is so low...well, there's my snow!
Where in northern New Mexico are you attracted to? I'm looking throughout the state. I'm open to more suggestions! Thanks!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Having lived in south south Florida for 35 years, I am ready to leave the humidity, long hot summers, and hurricanes far behind me!! I, too, like low humidity, would not mind a little snow, loved South Dakota when I visited the area many years ago. Southern New Mexico, does not really appeal to me due to its heat and dryness. Water availability is going to worse as the years wear on. Does northern New Mexico get more precipitation?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Where in northern New Mexico are you attracted to? I'm looking throughout the state. I'm open to more suggestions! Thanks!
North of and around Taos. Taos is pretty darned small, and overpriced. I had been looking around the area of Dixon. It's a very small town, and as I understand it, a lot of the Hispanic families have been there for centuries. I find the area very beautiful, and peaceful looking.

I also checked into Las Vegas...on the eastern foothills. It's obviously a lot larger than Dixon, or towns even more north, but has the availability of jobs that I'd been looking for.

Most smaller towns in the north by Colorado either have problems with water availability and/or contamination, and are too remote for me. It's been so long since we'd been there, I'm sure things have changed quite a lot.

Right now, I don't know how feasible all this is for me...I want to head over to South Dakota this summer and see the Black Hills in person, before a major move anywhere!

Gee, I probably am not a good source for you!. Maybe some of the folks who live there would have better info.

plantlover, I don't have any idea about the precipitation level in the north, but they can get a lot of snow, it's very cold at night, and that's a good deal for me!

You might try this site: birdiejaworski.com. She writes a blog about Las Vegas. She's a writer, teacher and transplant who lives there and loves the lifestyle of Las Vegas. Local Las Vegans blog on her site, and you can get some decent info there.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 AM

Default Wisteria,and everybody...

Forgot to give this site. If you are still checking out New Mexico, try this site: geraintsmith dot com. Of course, he's a professional photographer, but if his photos don't make you fall in love with northern New Mexico, nothing will~

Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,506,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Going to be 51, and originally from the cold midwest, living in the south now and can't afford to stay here, and want something new. Also looking for an affordable lifestyle. Being alone means living in a cheaper area for retirement costs. Interested in meeting wonderful people to do things with also, and if a man comes along........I won't complain MUCH! LOL.

I started on the west coast researching, ended up on the east coast, to the middle US, back to the west coast but also including CO, and a neat visit there. This would be a place I COULD DEFINITELY LIVE along with OR, and WA, CA but who can afford these places on a limited income, or budget ha?

Back to TN, and KY now........Next month I may be somewhere different, but I know I am learning alot.........LOL.

Have been on TN, and KY a while now maybe these area will be the ticket. LOL. The hardest thing is to find places w/o jobs long distance, and also finding a job......at my age I still have to work.

If you guys find something neat, and reasonable please give out your secret place.

Maybe we should get a map, blindfold ourselves, spin around and pick a spot.
Sillygal,
You sound like a woman after my own heart so to speak;
I love your post.. Up until now, I thought that something was wrong with me,
At least my kids and family members do.
Over the hill plus 14 puts me right smack dab in the middle of a crisis..
I am retired from the military, like yourself, I've lived practically everywhere
and I have yet to make up my mind (what's that??)
as to the lesser of two goods.
Empty nest syndrome is over, tired of living vicariously through my children/grands...
What's a girl like me to do, Well I wound up dangling on a bungee cord back and forth on the East Coast..(I have that much narrowed down..
I don't want to set anything a ground, just to have to pull it up by the root
again...Ex's att the top and the bottom, and going through mid-life crisis.
So I'll take the pink blindfold and why don't us two gals let someone turn us around a few times, and maybe there will appear a nice affordable, Semi-senior community, that has a well-rounded social atmosphere,
slow, but not too fast on the roads, everyone is in a hurry nowadays
Not too hot, not too cold, not too hot
Whew" I am winded just thinking about it......
Well that is what I get for being so picky...
I think I'm going to enjoy this thread,
I just wanna be somewhere in between N.Y. and Fla.
Ambivalent due to post-menopause, high gas prices, boring people, crime,
Let's build our own Habitat for Seniors" lol... that sounds like a perfect idea
Baby Boomers Acres", is where I'd rather be..
I can still hear the theme from "Green Acres" playing in my mind as I'm typing (pecking away at these keys
God Bless

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 05-31-2008 at 01:07 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Forgot to give this site. If you are still checking out New Mexico, try this site: geraintsmith dot com. Of course, he's a professional photographer, but if his photos don't make you fall in love with northern New Mexico, nothing will~
Very nice. Here's the link to his archives. Geraint Smith Photography, Fine Art Photography Prints, Taos, New Mexico, Photo of the Day Archive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement