U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

re: Women retiring alone to another state...

I was thinking this morning how great it would be if someone could go to a nice "relocation hostel" and stay two weeks in a particular place at a modest cost to check out the area. Not a hotel (too pricey) but some kind of "come here and check it out" kind of place, maybe with an optional guide, someone to show us around. I would love to do that in Tennessee. Does this exist anywhere?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I was thinking this morning how great it would be if someone could go to a nice "relocation hostel" and stay two weeks in a particular place at a modest cost to check out the area. Not a hotel (too pricey) but some kind of "come here and check it out" kind of place, maybe with an optional guide, someone to show us around. I would love to do that in Tennessee. Does this exist anywhere?

as i read the posts from all of us wandering souls here, i have thought a similar thing......some ideas have crossed my mind - ahhh, the ADD mind - so creative but so fleeting......................................

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default an idea ~~

Quote:

A great idea but IMHO it would take more than two weeks to evaluate a location for long-term residency ~ more like a year ~ to experience the local customs, etc. and all seasons of weather

Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
Quote:

I do not know of any "relocation hostels" in my area of TN. However, there is an extended stay hotel just off I-26 in Johnson City, which is very close to Kingsport. There is a bill board a mile or so before reaching the hotel and then a banner on the hotel advertising a week(or maybe its 5 days) stay for $199.00. The hotel is in a nice area and looks relatively new. I can't remember the name of the hotel, but I am sure it is a no frills type of place. I stayed in cheap hotels/motels when I was scouting for a home. The places I chose were clean & safe, but I still payed about $58.00 a night.

The City of Kingsport will assign you a "personal ambassador" to assist you in a possible relocation. They also have a "tour bus" that will take you on a guided tour. Move to Kingsport, Tennessee - Official Relocation Guide

A few months back, we had a discussion about Uplands Retirement Village. I contacted them and they sent me a very comprehensive package of information. Lots of information and great reading. They will put you up in one of their studio apartments for free if you are interested in visiting. Of course, the free stay is only for the benefit of checking out their facility. It is something that I definitely would consider if the need should arrise in the future.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
[quote=ConeyIsBabe;15552945]A great idea but IMHO it would take more than two weeks to evaluate a location for long-term residency ~ more like a year ~ to experience the local customs, etc. and all seasons of weather [/quote]

I disagree. If you spent a year evaluating possible relocation destinations, you would soon be too old to move anywhere. A two week stay should be ample time to decide if you would like to pursue the location. Once, you have selected one place above all the others, then a one year evaluation might make sense.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Quote:
Newenglandgirl:: I was thinking this morning how great it would be if someone could go to a nice "relocation hostel" and stay two weeks in a particular place at a modest cost to check out the area. Not a hotel (too pricey) but some kind of "come here and check it out" kind of place, maybe with an optional guide, someone to show us around. I would love to do that in Tennessee. Does this exist anywhere?
HI - Hostel HI - Knoxville - Harpers Ferry Hostel Youth Hostel Here's one. It's a hostel. They don't categorize hostels in terms of why you are staying, as I'm sure there are many reasons people stay at them (one, of course, being that they're inexpensive).

I'd highly suggest checking them out, if you're serious about staying in a place to see what it's like.

My daughter, a friend of mine from NYC, and I went through New Mexico and Colorado a few years ago, and stayed in hostels (and some inexpensive hotels). The hostels are great! I love meeting the new people, hearing the other languages, and they're usually centrally-located. What a great thing a hostel is!! And...many of us Baby Boomers who used hostels when we were young, are still using them now. My friend and I were surprised how many people our age -- mixed in with the young travelers -- that there were. We did not feel out-of-place at all.

The place we stayed at in New Mexico was (I later found out) a hostel, and it was wonderful!! Riverbend Hot Springs: Lodging and Mineral Baths on the Rio Grande

We stayed in one in Boulder, Colorado, which is known to be very pricey, and it was great fun to be so close to the Flatirons, and town!: Home : Boulder Hostel

There is one near me that is actually in a lighthouse: Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel - Welcome to the Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel

I have traveled very cheaply throughout the world. It just takes some footwork (or nowadays, some internet work) to find the deals -- but they are out there!

Grab a friend and have some adventures!! Seriously, I love the hostel idea, and have used them quite a bit. They also have loads of information for travelers, usually have a shared computer, are very friendly and accommodating. I highly suggest looking into them -- you may be very pleasantly surprised.

I bet StealthRabbit has some leads on places, too! She's a wealth of information for cheap travel!!

And if you don't relocate -- so what? At least it's a cheap, fun trip to a new place!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
After 4 weeks traveling in my camper van on our maiden voyage, I am confident I can both travel to and stay as long as I like in any potential areas to thoroughly check them out with my pets in tow. The only downside is the high upfront cost which did make a serious dent in my savings. But not having to pay for lodging is great. Not having to deal with/pay for/worry about the pets is very freeing. I will use the van for a long time so the investment is worth it for me.

But my house & large yard is in need of a lot of attention now.

My friend successfully sold her house this month. For full asking price which was at least 1/3 less than they were going for 2 years ago. She listed in May so there is hope. I need to get busy fixing up mine. Now that I have the van, I can also live in it for a while if my house sells. I will have a housemate for a while during her transition. :-)

Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
After 4 weeks traveling in my camper van on our maiden voyage, I am confident I can both travel to and stay as long as I like in any potential areas to thoroughly check them out with my pets in tow. The only downside is the high upfront cost which did make a serious dent in my savings. But not having to pay for lodging is great. Not having to deal with/pay for/worry about the pets is very freeing. I will use the van for a long time so the investment is worth it for me.

But my house & large yard is in need of a lot of attention now.

My friend successfully sold her house this month. For full asking price which was at least 1/3 less than they were going for 2 years ago. She listed in May so there is hope. I need to get busy fixing up mine. Now that I have the van, I can also live in it for a while if my house sells. I will have a housemate for a while during her transition. :-)
So, where did you go on your maiden voyage? See any places you might want to investigate further?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Tesaje - So, you're home now? I think you made a wise decision buying your van. How was mom and how was CO??????????????? Gads, I am ready to take a trip out myself soon just to remind myself what my goal is. Glad you made it safe - now, get to work.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
A great idea but IMHO it would take more than two weeks to evaluate a location for long-term residency ~ more like a year ~ to experience the local customs, etc. and all seasons of weather
If I sell my house here and move it will have to be on guided intuition after a short time visiting the new place. For me, I know that I need people around me into a more "wholistic" lifestyle, who are animal lovers, and artistic and creative. I know of a number of areas thick with writers and artists, so I would gravitate toward such a place without having to check it out too long. And I know I love the four seasons, yes with snow and the whole shebang (what true northerner can ever give up that??)...so these things focus my possibilities. It's like when I go shopping---I can pop into a store and tell in 2 minutes whether this is the place for me. Must be my ultrasensitive artistic antenna!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement