U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Tesaje - So, you're home now? I think you made a wise decision buying your van. How was mom and how was CO??????????????? Gads, I am ready to take a trip out myself soon just to remind myself what my goal is. Glad you made it safe - now, get to work.
So it's Colorado? When are you moving? Maybe we should have a general meetup in CO. LiveContent can host an Italian dinner

PS: Welcome back Tesaje, just in time for some east coast gorgeous August weather!! Give us a report soon!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Welcome back, Tesaje.

"B's" seem to have a high resale value - even the ones that are 15 years old! So use the *heck* out of it and enjoy the toy!

I'm still jealous, LOL

Are we going to get a trip report?

Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 22,702 times
I am also in my 50's and disabled, so just as well be retired. It is hard to meet people in our age group and Nebraska is the worst...my husband and I r leaving Nebraska and moving to Colorado Springs in Sept. I have emphysema and need the dryer climate for my health. but it is lonely anywhere I think. I used to be a nurse and think I am just tired of people in general and I do a lot of computer forums and I occupy my time with sewing and quilting and crafts.One thing I have noticed is Colorado is the most animal loving state I have found, Nebraska is the most animal disliking state I have found. good luck to your indeffers and I hope you found places that meet your needs. Colorado Springs have fairly reasonable rent on their apartments and many are 55+ and would be nice to meet socailly

Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western Nebraska View Post
I am also in my 50's and disabled, so just as well be retired. It is hard to meet people in our age group and Nebraska is the worst...my husband and I r leaving Nebraska and moving to Colorado Springs in Sept. I have emphysema and need the dryer climate for my health. but it is lonely anywhere I think. I used to be a nurse and think I am just tired of people in general and I do a lot of computer forums and I occupy my time with sewing and quilting and crafts.One thing I have noticed is Colorado is the most animal loving state I have found, Nebraska is the most animal disliking state I have found. good luck to your indeffers and I hope you found places that meet your needs. Colorado Springs have fairly reasonable rent on their apartments and many are 55+ and would be nice to meet socailly
Another CO fan One of the first things I noticed when I moved there years ago was what a dog loving place it was. Every single house in my neighborhood had a least 1 dog and usually more than that. Also, I don't recall there ever being a dog barking issue so they are also responsible pet owners.

I will be moving back to CO - hopefully next year - to either CO Springs or the Loveland/Ft Collins area. Love the climate there, even the snow storms. I can say that now that I'm retired and don't have to go out in it

NEG - I've mentioned many times that we should have a meetup after I move to CO. It's beginning to feel like a figment of my imagination though. Enough already! We'll even have a bake sale to aid in travel expenses

If LC makes us dinner it will probably be lentils, beans & any bugs he finds under his couch. How about I make dinner - he may be a better cook but I have a feeling mine will taste better

Scrubbing floors so got to get back to it

Oh, guess what I did today - ran over my mower wheel with my CRV! Broke it off - now what the h*** am I going to do

Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Welcome back, Tesaje.

"B's" seem to have a high resale value - even the ones that are 15 years old! So use the *heck* out of it and enjoy the toy!

I'm still jealous, LOL

Are we going to get a trip report?
Yes, but B's also have a steep depreciation if bought new. Another reason to buy used like I did. I wrote a reply but it got lost in the ethers. Here's my trip report.

This trip wasn't to find prospective places to live but once I bought the van, I wanted to use it to give it a good test for that job in the future. I went to Denver for a family gathering that was great. I used the van to boondock at night and I have to say, I don't understand why anyone would pay $40 for hookups. It is so easy to boondock and there are lots of free parking places. Especially for a van size vehicle.

The trip took a day longer than it usually does in my car. Part of that was me learning the systems and some fumbling about as I figured out what worked and didn't. I also drove slower. My mileage ranged from 20 to 25 mpg. 20 at 65 going uphill and 25 mpg at 55 on the flats. Pretty good for driving a cabin with me.

The trip out was freeways all the way as usual but on the way back, I took US 34 to NE, down to US 36 in KS all the way to IN. In IN, I took state roads across the southern hills to US 50, then US 50 all the way to Winchester, VA where I took local roads home to MD. I took the van up to the CO mountains for a day and night. This trip confirmed that I am more allergic to CO than any other place. The van was not super fast but had no problems handling the altitude.

My 2 cats were interesting. Turns out cats need headroom over their litter box. I did have a detour on day 2 to a laundromat due to their refusal to use the too cramped litter box. Once I got that figured out, my female got into a snit and refused to use the same box as her enemy, the male cat. The evil male cat did not do anything more aggressive than park himself in front of her and look at her - and not much of that. I stopped that but she ended up in a crate with her own stuff. While in CO, I kept the 2 completely separate for about 10 days. The trip home was much better as they didn't seem to fight at all anymore. To my surprise, the female wanted to go out of the van and explore (on her harness & leash) while the extra cat that roams a lot at home wouldn't leave the van at all until the last 2 days. He spent most of the driving time on my lap or in a step well, occasionally on the dash. I think he was telling me "you're not getting rid of me this easily - I'm staying in here where I'm safe." Maybe I'll get lucky and the trip will lessen some of the animosity between the two.

I really like traveling this way and can see myself taking wandering tours where I just go to any side trip that catches my fancy along the way. Having the pets along makes it so I can take as long as I feel like. I did go to the exact center of the lower 48 states (middle of northern KS) and to the Fairfax Rock where the Potomac River begins and defines the boundaries of MD. George Washington might have helped in the surveying to place the rock.

It is also evident that I can use the van to not only explore prospective places but to live in for an extended period to test out a place I may wish to move to. My only real problem was the refrigerator was a sometime thing. I have to figure out what is wrong with it before another trip. I'm glad I bought it. Now I have to tally up all that I've spent on the trip. I'm confident that I could live in it for a couple months or maybe more while in transition if needed when I sell my house. It also means I can get a dog when the right one comes along.

Sure is a lot of grass and weeds out there at my house. I moved a bunch of retaining wall blocks to make more room for the van at my house today.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Sounds like a great road trip! Just one question, what is boondocking?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I used the van to boondock at night and I have to say, I don't understand why anyone would pay $40 for hookups. It is so easy to boondock and there are lots of free parking places. Especially for a van size vehicle.
I agree! The only reason to pay is if you absolutely want a campfire! Otherwise just park it whereever it's legal. (The America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Lifetime Pass only costs $10 to get all the discounts)

Quote:
My mileage ranged from 20 to 25 mpg. 20 at 65 going uphill and 25 mpg at 55 on the flats. Pretty good for driving a cabin with me.
Quote:
The van was not super fast but had no problems handling the altitude.
Wow - excellent!

Quote:
Once I got that figured out, my female got into a snit and refused to use the same box as her enemy, the male cat. The evil male cat did not do anything more aggressive than park himself in front of her and look at her - and not much of that.
Made me laugh out loud!
My sister travels in a "B" with a cat from Hades and a rescue dog about the size of a Scottie, for about 6 months of every year. They both hated it and complained for the first couple of weeks. Now they just sleep when she's driving. They both have harnesses for when she's parked - they protect their home from the vicious squirrels and birds. Or lizards.

Quote:
It is also evident that I can use the van to not only explore prospective places but to live in for an extended period to test out a place I may wish to move to.
This is exactly what I plan to do.

Quote:
My only real problem was the refrigerator was a sometime thing. I have to figure out what is wrong with it before another trip.
Is it a 3-way? Propane, 120V, 12V? They're known to be fussy. Maybe this will help RV Fridge Hints

Thanks so much for letting me vicariously ride in your van, Tesaje!

I'm still jealous

Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Is it a 3-way? Propane, 120V, 12V? They're known to be fussy. Maybe this will help RV Fridge Hints

Thanks so much for letting me vicariously ride in your van, Tesaje!

I'm still jealous
And I'm ok with that

Yes it is a 3 way. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Just one question, what is boondocking?
Boondocking is camping without using hookups to the grid (like electric and/or water & sewage) or paying for a campsite and just relying on the van's water tanks, propane, & batteries. Worked great.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Yes, but B's also have a steep depreciation if bought new. Another reason to buy used like I did. I wrote a reply but it got lost in the ethers. Here's my trip report.

This trip wasn't to find prospective places to live but once I bought the van, I wanted to use it to give it a good test for that job in the future. I went to Denver for a family gathering that was great. I used the van to boondock at night and I have to say, I don't understand why anyone would pay $40 for hookups. It is so easy to boondock and there are lots of free parking places. Especially for a van size vehicle.

The trip took a day longer than it usually does in my car. Part of that was me learning the systems and some fumbling about as I figured out what worked and didn't. I also drove slower. My mileage ranged from 20 to 25 mpg. 20 at 65 going uphill and 25 mpg at 55 on the flats. Pretty good for driving a cabin with me.

The trip out was freeways all the way as usual but on the way back, I took US 34 to NE, down to US 36 in KS all the way to IN. In IN, I took state roads across the southern hills to US 50, then US 50 all the way to Winchester, VA where I took local roads home to MD. I took the van up to the CO mountains for a day and night. This trip confirmed that I am more allergic to CO than any other place. The van was not super fast but had no problems handling the altitude.

My 2 cats were interesting. Turns out cats need headroom over their litter box. I did have a detour on day 2 to a laundromat due to their refusal to use the too cramped litter box. Once I got that figured out, my female got into a snit and refused to use the same box as her enemy, the male cat. The evil male cat did not do anything more aggressive than park himself in front of her and look at her - and not much of that. I stopped that but she ended up in a crate with her own stuff. While in CO, I kept the 2 completely separate for about 10 days. The trip home was much better as they didn't seem to fight at all anymore. To my surprise, the female wanted to go out of the van and explore (on her harness & leash) while the extra cat that roams a lot at home wouldn't leave the van at all until the last 2 days. He spent most of the driving time on my lap or in a step well, occasionally on the dash. I think he was telling me "you're not getting rid of me this easily - I'm staying in here where I'm safe." Maybe I'll get lucky and the trip will lessen some of the animosity between the two.

I really like traveling this way and can see myself taking wandering tours where I just go to any side trip that catches my fancy along the way. Having the pets along makes it so I can take as long as I feel like. I did go to the exact center of the lower 48 states (middle of northern KS) and to the Fairfax Rock where the Potomac River begins and defines the boundaries of MD. George Washington might have helped in the surveying to place the rock.

It is also evident that I can use the van to not only explore prospective places but to live in for an extended period to test out a place I may wish to move to. My only real problem was the refrigerator was a sometime thing. I have to figure out what is wrong with it before another trip. I'm glad I bought it. Now I have to tally up all that I've spent on the trip. I'm confident that I could live in it for a couple months or maybe more while in transition if needed when I sell my house. It also means I can get a dog when the right one comes along.

Sure is a lot of grass and weeds out there at my house. I moved a bunch of retaining wall blocks to make more room for the van at my house today.
fascinating!! an adventure! refresh my memory here as well - what is a "B"? you or someone used that term and is that what your van is (i know this will be a terribly self-evident thing for which my inner critic will need to crawl into a hole but my humerous applauder will simply slap herself upside the head and say "i knew that!" _

Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 AM

A "B" is a van-sized RV, usually completely contained.

An "A" are the monster buses.
A "C" is built on a truck chassis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement