U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yea!!!! She is a cutie and her name is~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No dog has manners at 5 months - that's what makes them so much fun (and frustrating). Glad you got a rescue - you have a good heart

Congratulations on your new family member
Oh yeah, I named her Dirona after a Celtic goddess of healing who's totem animal was a wolf or dog - since she's mostly a Scottish collie.

Thanks, she is a pretty girl. And fun.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Wow, what a beautiful dog. I do favor the herding dogs (including mixes). Congratulations!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Wow, what a beautiful dog. I do favor the herding dogs (including mixes). Congratulations!
If you like herding dogs you would have loved my dog, Shadow. He was Australian Shepard, Border Collie and Great Pyrenees! Fully grown he weighed 112#, looked like a GIANT Border Collie and was THE most protective dog I've ever had. He was so good with anything "baby" from kids to other animals. And smart??? Oh my! At one point we had some goats and he was in heaven! lol I used to laugh my head off watching him play with the one baby goat. They'd run, butt heads, play like mad and then go take a nap together under a tree. He kept the goats out of my garden and I never figured out how he just KNEW they weren't supposed to be in it. Luckily for him we lived in the middle of 20 acres of forest so he had plenty of running room. I loved that dog and miss him to this day. I could tell lots of stories about him.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
If you like herding dogs you would have loved my dog, Shadow. He was Australian Shepard, Border Collie and Great Pyrenees! Fully grown he weighed 112#, looked like a GIANT Border Collie and was THE most protective dog I've ever had. He was so good with anything "baby" from kids to other animals. And smart??? Oh my! At one point we had some goats and he was in heaven! lol I used to laugh my head off watching him play with the one baby goat. They'd run, butt heads, play like mad and then go take a nap together under a tree. He kept the goats out of my garden and I never figured out how he just KNEW they weren't supposed to be in it. Luckily for him we lived in the middle of 20 acres of forest so he had plenty of running room. I loved that dog and miss him to this day. I could tell lots of stories about him.
Love these stories. Cool dog

Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sounds like a great dog. Both the shepherd & Pyrennies are guard dogs so no wonder he was protective. Border collies are drovers so they find the boundaries & keep their charges to them. Any of those working dogs were bred to be smart & be able to make decisions on their own. That also means they need to do things. It's good he had room to run. I'm starting to train mine to handle a long rope so she can do some racing about while we are outside.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times
Hi ladies! Just checking in -- I've moved into my new house (the little 1960 rancher) and have been VERY SLOWLY trying to get unpacked and organized. My chronic pain is really debilitating so it's difficult to muster the energy for all I have to do. I'm very happy to be out of the apts. with the complaining neighbors (about my barking dogs); however, this neighborhood is so quiet, I feel bad when they start barking at the squirrels or bunnies out back. And as terriers, they DO bark. Tesaje, congrats on the new dog -- she is ADORABLE!!! And I am enjoying reading about your adventure. My back pain has really limited my ability to drive long distances, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

Anyway, this is my 8th move in 25 years...hopefully this will be the last one. This is actually the first single home I've ever owned (always had twins, townhouses or condos) so I hope I'm able to keep up with it. My dream of moving back to Southern CA is pretty much out the window, I think. At age 60 and with all my physical frailties, I just need to stick close to family and friends.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Love these stories. Cool dog
He was SUPER dog. Unfortunately my ex got him in the divorce...but I DID have visitation.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Sounds like a great dog. Both the shepherd & Pyrennies are guard dogs so no wonder he was protective. Border collies are drovers so they find the boundaries & keep their charges to them. Any of those working dogs were bred to be smart & be able to make decisions on their own. That also means they need to do things. It's good he had room to run. I'm starting to train mine to handle a long rope so she can do some racing about while we are outside.
The first time Shadow "protected" me was when he was about five months old, walking down the snow covered road and came across a Moose in the road. I stopped, he stopped, walked in front of me and SAT DOWN! He didn't bark or make a sound. Traveling in OR I stopped at a gas station and when the attendant reached for the money Shadow growled at him. lol Another time, when he was grown, the UPS guy stopped to deliver something and when he handed me the clipboard to sign, Shadow nicely reached up, took his shirt cuff in his teeth and pulled the guys hand away! My mom was watching this and couldn't believe it. He also learned to play Hide and Seek walking on the Forest Service road behind our house. I started it by hiding from him when he'd get ahead, around a corner, and he'd come back looking for me. Get ALL excited when he found me! lol One day, walking along, he took off up the hill, jumped over a downed tree and sat down! I pretended to look for him and finally said "I see you!!" and he came running, all excited. He was a nut. We also had a LOT of wildlife going through our yard. We had a mama black bear and two cubs, morning and night, that went through and he never once bothered them. When a Moose or deer would come through he would chase them but ONLY to the end of the driveway and as soon as they were in the road he'd come back. He slept outside at night and I never, once, had any deer or other critters bother my garden at night but I never heard him bark at night either. There was an area just across the creek from our house where the deer bedded down at night too so I know they were around all the time.

I do miss him but he wouldn't be too happy where I live now. No room to run and nothing to keep him "busy".

Old 09-04-2010, 01:04 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi ladies! Just checking in -- I've moved into my new house (the little 1960 rancher) and have been VERY SLOWLY trying to get unpacked and organized. My chronic pain is really debilitating so it's difficult to muster the energy for all I have to do. I'm very happy to be out of the apts. with the complaining neighbors (about my barking dogs); however, this neighborhood is so quiet, I feel bad when they start barking at the squirrels or bunnies out back. And as terriers, they DO bark. Tesaje, congrats on the new dog -- she is ADORABLE!!! And I am enjoying reading about your adventure. My back pain has really limited my ability to drive long distances, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

Anyway, this is my 8th move in 25 years...hopefully this will be the last one. This is actually the first single home I've ever owned (always had twins, townhouses or condos) so I hope I'm able to keep up with it. My dream of moving back to Southern CA is pretty much out the window, I think. At age 60 and with all my physical frailties, I just need to stick close to family and friends.
avelon - congrats on your new home (well, new for you/very retro - sixties and all that) - good thing about a ranch is not having to deal with stairs! go easy on yourself on the unpacking - if you take long enough to unpack, it'll feel like Christmas as you discover possessions you forgot you had!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Oh yeah, I named her Dirona after a Celtic goddess of healing who's totem animal was a wolf or dog - since she's mostly a Scottish collie.

Thanks, she is a pretty girl. And fun.

Great name I wonder if she has Golden in her - she has those sweet eyes. Let's have an update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement