Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My dream of moving back to Southern CA is pretty much out the window, I think. At age 60 and with all my physical frailties, I just need to stick close to family and friends.
I've slowly come to the same conclusion myself. Amazing how only a few years (since I first thought of moving away from here) have changed me as health has taken on more dimensions and a grown child has married and settled close by (and will have kids). I've gone through a number of explorations of other places and now even that I am getting unable to do, healthwise and financially. I've gone through "grass is greener" syndrome for many years. Yes I would still like to move (for financial reasons mostly) and a milder winter, but I have had to weigh very, very carefully what I will gain by it and what I will lose of the things that are becoming more essential to me with each passing day (family, friends, support system, great medical facilities, and, as LiveContent once said in his "Five F" theory, familiarity that is so comforting and hard to replace). That said, I would not rule out a move if something seemed financially logical and doable realistically. It would have to make a lot of horse sense to me. Though I know what will probably happen for me, I remain open to possibilities.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi ladies! Just checking in -- I've moved into my new house (the little 1960 rancher) and have been VERY SLOWLY trying to get unpacked and organized. My chronic pain is really debilitating so it's difficult to muster the energy for all I have to do. I'm very happy to be out of the apts. with the complaining neighbors (about my barking dogs); however, this neighborhood is so quiet, I feel bad when they start barking at the squirrels or bunnies out back. And as terriers, they DO bark. Tesaje, congrats on the new dog -- she is ADORABLE!!! And I am enjoying reading about your adventure. My back pain has really limited my ability to drive long distances, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you!

Anyway, this is my 8th move in 25 years...hopefully this will be the last one. This is actually the first single home I've ever owned (always had twins, townhouses or condos) so I hope I'm able to keep up with it. My dream of moving back to Southern CA is pretty much out the window, I think. At age 60 and with all my physical frailties, I just need to stick close to family and friends.
I think you are making a wise decision. If you are close to family, it's great to be able to stay near them. I have two sisters; one in Toronto and one in LA. Experience has proven I cannot depend upon them if I need help in any manner so as for me, family is not a factor in my decision to relocate.

We all have to do what is best for us to make our lives the best we can in our Senior years.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM

239 posts, read 520,561 times
Default "Five F theory"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've slowly come to the same conclusion myself. Amazing how only a few years (since I first thought of moving away from here) have changed me as health has taken on more dimensions and a grown child has married and settled close by (and will have kids). I've gone through a number of explorations of other places and now even that I am getting unable to do, healthwise and financially. I've gone through "grass is greener" syndrome for many years. Yes I would still like to move (for financial reasons mostly) and a milder winter, but I have had to weigh very, very carefully what I will gain by it and what I will lose of the things that are becoming more essential to me with each passing day (family, friends, support system, great medical facilities, and, as LiveContent once said in his "Five F" theory, familiarity that is so comforting and hard to replace). That said, I would not rule out a move if something seemed financially logical and doable realistically. It would have to make a lot of horse sense to me. Though I know what will probably happen for me, I remain open to possibilities.
I'm guessing that in addition to familiarity that family is another one of the Five F's. What are the other three?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
I'm guessing that in addition to familiarity that family is another one of the Five F's. What are the other three?
As I remember them, LiveContent's five F's are:

Familiarity
Family
Friends
Food (access to the kind you can and like to eat)
Financial (can you afford to live there)

The first four fit well with me here. Financial is iffy, due to property taxes and grounds upkeep. However, I did just find out what some other parts of the country cost for town water & sewer, and I almost fell off my chair. Combined, w & s for me is $300/year. So maybe, if I moved out of NE, I would be paying much higher in this category and even though my taxes would be lower it would all even out... But, then again, I might not have to pay for snow removal...balances, balances....

Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 AM

239 posts, read 520,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As I remember them, LiveContent's five F's are:

Familiarity
Family
Friends
Food (access to the kind you can and like to eat)
Financial (can you afford to live there)

The first four fit well with me here. Financial is iffy, due to property taxes and grounds upkeep. However, I did just find out what some other parts of the country cost for town water & sewer, and I almost fell off my chair. Combined, w & s for me is $300/year. So maybe, if I moved out of NE, I would be paying much higher in this category and even though my taxes would be lower it would all even out... But, then again, I might not have to pay for snow removal...balances, balances....
Thanks for the list. I would have never guessed that food would be one of the five.

What you are saying about things balancing out makes me wonder if it's worth moving. The move itself is expensive and then there are the unknowns even when you've done your level best to compare costs. Since you have the first four of the five that seems pretty good to me. Financial is iffy for us, too. Unfortunately, that one is a biggy.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hi folks,

I haven't been here for awhile, but wanted to just check in and let you know that there are big changes at where I work, and I won't be able to be here during the week (unless I have enough energy and time when I get home at night....).

I noticed the concern for Knoxgarden (I did send her a private email, but no response), so I thought I'd just quickly check in now and let you know that my time is up for posting on C-D during the day...."The times, they are a changin'" or so it goes.

I'll lurk when possible, but probably will not get the chance during the day. Everything seems to be upside down here, many people jumping ship (we got a new leader who has such a different "leadership" style, that people are leaving)....and things have changed quite a bit.

Send me a PM if you want to check in, but, unfortunately, I no longer will have access to C-D during the day....

Hang in there everyone -- you're all doing a great job of figuring things out, and with all the new ideas, people helping each other, you have become a source of strength and happiness for so many of us on this thread.

I will check in when I can. In the meantime, the winds of change are blowing!

Wisteria

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Avalon, good to see your post, I was wondering what happened when last I heard you had bought a house! Glad to hear you and your doggies are doing good.

Wisteria, sorry to hear we won't be reading your posts as much but I know how the work thing goes...yes, lots of changes. They just always tell us to be flexible! Will miss your posts, hope you'll get back soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
Thanks for the list. I would have never guessed that food would be one of the five.

What you are saying about things balancing out makes me wonder if it's worth moving. The move itself is expensive and then there are the unknowns even when you've done your level best to compare costs. Since you have the first four of the five that seems pretty good to me. Financial is iffy for us, too. Unfortunately, that one is a biggy.
Isabella, I don't know how old you are, but if you're near retirement or retired it is a different kettle of fish than if you are still working. Anyone who has a job right now may be foolish to leave where they are for any reason. If a job is not in the picture (not needed), and you are "older," there are many many considerations to moving far away, esp if you are part of a couple and so there's TWO of you and all the separate wants and needs that presents.

If you are moving to a seriously cheaper place to live, it may well be worth it (complication: selling a house first ). If, in moving, you're gaining something really substantial (closer to family, better financial scene), it may be worth making the move at any cost. Or, it's worth it if the new location genuinely brings you personal happiness (near a beach, mountains, state parks, whatever).

What I found is that in doing my spreadsheet analysis of a half dozen targeted locations, where I am now showed the highest points. So that's logical investigation. But even after these results are in, your heart may play into it and draw you somewhere else anyway, defying logic. And that's valid. but for me, living on a shoestring, I can't afford to follow my heart. I have to be d#$% practical!

So, you either base your decision to move on investigative logistics, or on your heart, and sometimes these two ways coincide as they ahve for some folks on this thread who have made the right move. You will make a decision or it will be made for you! (Life has a way of doing that!)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi folks,

I haven't been here for awhile, but wanted to just check in and let you know that there are big changes at where I work, and I won't be able to be here during the week (unless I have enough energy and time when I get home at night....).

I noticed the concern for Knoxgarden (I did send her a private email, but no response), so I thought I'd just quickly check in now and let you know that my time is up for posting on C-D during the day...."The times, they are a changin'" or so it goes.

I'll lurk when possible, but probably will not get the chance during the day. Everything seems to be upside down here, many people jumping ship (we got a new leader who has such a different "leadership" style, that people are leaving)....and things have changed quite a bit.

Send me a PM if you want to check in, but, unfortunately, I no longer will have access to C-D during the day....

Hang in there everyone -- you're all doing a great job of figuring things out, and with all the new ideas, people helping each other, you have become a source of strength and happiness for so many of us on this thread.

Wisteria
Yes, in these times it's best to keep your head low to your work and assume a low but efficient profile. You will be more noticed (and hopefully appreciated!) with people jumping ship. Nothing traceable on your work computer!

Please do find the energy to post some lines from home!!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi folks,

Wisteria
oh miss wis, as they say "the only constant is change" - heart is with you. organizational upheaval is such a bummer. we'll try to do you proud here as we solve the problems of the world....or at least those in our own little corners.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement