U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 AM

16 posts, read 53,610 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is long time since you posted, but I lived in CO and just wanted to share my thoughts. I lived in Denver for 11 years. Out west, I haven't traveled as much, but the city of Grand Junction is really nice. Whereas many of the western towns are tiny, Grand Junction is a perfect size for someone who likes a little more interaction and connection to the grid. It's near the Utah border, has an airport and lots of shopping. Yet it's still picturesque... i guess i liked it especially because it isn't falling into the trap of trying to be "cutesy" and "artsy" which can brand a small town and keep it from growing. In other words, it feels "normal."

Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 AM

54 posts, read 93,539 times
Hello! I discovered this thread a few days ago. Got to page 28 before realizing I'd be well into retirement before I finished the whole thing ... so I skipped ahead to the end. I see one or two familiar names (from the beginning). Did the group ever get anything going with the ideas they were brainstorming? It sounded so wonderful - I felt excited and hopeful about having a future that may not be as bleak as I'm fearing but it seems the OP is now in her own mobile home still in CA?

Thanks for any efforts at filling me in : ))

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,640,397 times
searching4, Welcome aboard; hope your journey goes a lot smoother than most.

================================================== ======

Ok ladies, I'm leaving for Florida on Friday. Monday a realtor is showing me a condo, not the one I wanted to see. I might take this one just to get acclaimated to the Sarasota area. Not up for too much searching, especially after my little fiasco. There's another place I really would have wanted to move into, but their process would tie up my micro-funds for way longer than I have time for. I just don't have the energy to run all over town searching, and as I mentioned in another posting, I don't want a prolong stay at friends. I did most of the leg work via net. It's amazing how much you can scope out an area internet resources. Even if I end up with a earth shattering head ache after, it's still worth the trouble, since my legs wouldn't ever allow me to get as much done.

I'm not sure when I'll be back on after I head out to Fl, but wanted to give an update. I hope someone gets me a kindle for Christmas, even though I don't celibrate it anymore, but I can have my delusional dreams. I want it for it's portability factor for browsing the net, more convienient than notebook.

OK people, Rosa Amazon Kindle fund over here.......<

Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,034,725 times
After spending a couple of years looking at moving to the Ft. Collins area, I've concluded that the real estate market in Arizona is just too bad to allow me to sell my house for enough to move to a state that's not in nearly as bad a state. Since my rural house/yard are getting harder for me to maintain as I grow older, and the long distance from town makes getting services harder and more costly, I've begun to look for a fixer upper in town. My goal would be to buy very low, rehab as needed, all for my lowest guess at what my current house would bring in. I still wish I could move somewhere cooler, and maybe there will still be time when things get better here.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
After spending a couple of years looking at moving to the Ft. Collins area, I've concluded that the real estate market in Arizona is just too bad to allow me to sell my house for enough to move to a state that's not in nearly as bad a state. Since my rural house/yard are getting harder for me to maintain as I grow older, and the long distance from town makes getting services harder and more costly, I've begun to look for a fixer upper in town. My goal would be to buy very low, rehab as needed, all for my lowest guess at what my current house would bring in. I still wish I could move somewhere cooler, and maybe there will still be time when things get better here.

I have concluded that I won't move anywhere based just on climate. the varying weather patterns within any climate are too unpredictable. I would move only for financial gain. If I were to move to a small fixer-upper, I wouldn't bother to do much fixing up. I would view it only as a roof over my head for the next 15 years and stash the cash profit from the first house. A house is no longer, in ailing states, an investment. Why pour anything into it? (other than fix a leaky roof so the RAIN doesn't pour in!!). I have no need to keep up appearances any longer, let the siding peel, let the floors be what they are!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
searching4, Welcome aboard; hope your journey goes a lot smoother than most.

================================================== ======

Ok ladies, I'm leaving for Florida on Friday. Monday a realtor is showing me a condo, not the one I wanted to see. I might take this one just to get acclaimated to the Sarasota area. Not up for too much searching, especially after my little fiasco. There's another place I really would have wanted to move into, but their process would tie up my micro-funds for way longer than I have time for. I just don't have the energy to run all over town searching, and as I mentioned in another posting, I don't want a prolong stay at friends. I did most of the leg work via net. It's amazing how much you can scope out an area internet resources. Even if I end up with a earth shattering head ache after, it's still worth the trouble, since my legs wouldn't ever allow me to get as much done.

I'm not sure when I'll be back on after I head out to Fl, but wanted to give an update. I hope someone gets me a kindle for Christmas, even though I don't celibrate it anymore, but I can have my delusional dreams. I want it for it's portability factor for browsing the net, more convienient than notebook.

OK people, Rosa Amazon Kindle fund over here.......<
Good luck TRosa!!! Your instincts will guide you and within six months from now you will be in a much better place!!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have concluded that I won't move anywhere based just on climate. the varying weather patterns within any climate are too unpredictable. I would move only for financial gain. If I were to move to a small fixer-upper, I wouldn't bother to do much fixing up. I would view it only as a roof over my head for the next 15 years and stash the cash profit from the first house. A house is no longer, in ailing states, an investment. Why pour anything into it? (other than fix a leaky roof so the RAIN doesn't pour in!!). I have no need to keep up appearances any longer, let the siding peel, let the floors be what they are!

A house may not be the investment it once was, but like anything else you have, if you don't take care of it you will pay when it comes time to sell - if you can. I just don't buy this house investment philosophy. If I added up all the rent I didn't pay in just the last 15 years living in this house plus even with the housing prices down, if I sold tomorrow I'd walk away with $200,000 profit in my pocket. Where else would I have made that kind of money. Rent would have been much higher than my house payment. There are a lot of other benefits (tax deductions, countless renting headaches I didn't endure, etc...) also. No one can convince me that this wasn't the best financial decision I ever made.

NEG - You were going to have a renter this month - did that happen? If so, how is it working?

Last edited by Umbria; 09-22-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
A house may not be the investment it once was, but like anything else you have, if you don't take care of it you will pay when it comes time to sell - if you can. I just don't buy this house investment philosophy. If I added up all the rent I didn't pay in just the last 15 years living in this house plus even with the housing prices down, if I sold tomorrow I'd walk away with $200,000 in my pocket. Where else would I have made that kind of money. Rent would have been much higher than my house payment. There are a lot of other benefits (tax deductions, countless renting headaches I didn't endure, etc...) also. No one can convince me that this wasn't the best financial decision I ever made.

NEG - You were going to have a renter this month - did that happen? If so, how is it working?
Owning a house is a savings, but in some areas, not an investment. Especially if one owes a mortgage that is more than what the house is worth. You saved a bundle so that should be factored in to the profit, I do agree.

My renter has been here a month (leaving this weekend, her new in-law apt is ready for her ) and it worked out fine because we are so similar in our lifestyle and habits. I don't really expect to find someone again that great, and what happens if I get someone as a housemate and it's a nightmare and she won't move out? I don't know about these kinds of housing laws.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
A house may not be the investment it once was, but like anything else you have, if you don't take care of it you will pay when it comes time to sell - if you can. I just don't buy this house investment philosophy. If I added up all the rent I didn't pay in just the last 15 years living in this house plus even with the housing prices down, if I sold tomorrow I'd walk away with $200,000 in my pocket. Where else would I have made that kind of money. Rent would have been much higher than my house payment. There are a lot of other benefits (tax deductions, countless renting headaches I didn't endure, etc...) also. No one can convince me that this wasn't the best financial decision I ever made.

I agree with this assessment. One of the pillars of my retirement strategy is to live rent & mortgage free. My reason for buying a house is to have a fairly stable abode cost. The outlier is property tax - a very regressive tax! I may not make money on my house but the money I would have spent on rent for the last 18 years would have been more.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Default Tesaje - UPDATE!

So, I imagine Dirona is fetching your slippers and morning paper by now.

What else? How's it going? Update!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement