U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Are condos in the Boston area very very expensive?
What do you define as expensive?

If you don't need car, that makes a big difference in the cost of owning a Boston condo.

There are many converted mills in and around Boston. You could go out from the city to a place like Salem where my nephew lives. Or Framingham.

The best realtor site imo that shows property taxes and condo fees is newenglandmoves.com

When you log on, use the Advanced Search button (in gray) to type in all the towns you're interested in and the price range.

I'm finding that condo fees can vary quite a bit, and also some only cover exterior maintenance but a few include heat or other amenities. Un fortuanely this is not indicated on the listings.

Boy would I love to live close to Boston again!! I never had a car there (of course I was young) but never missed one either.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Thanks, n.e.g. I will check that out.

Well, expensive would be over $400,000. Yes, I would want my car probably.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Hey, Nancy! Are you thinking of moving back east? Care to share why? Good info for those that may be considering moving there.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks, n.e.g. I will check that out.

Well, expensive would be over $400,000. Yes, I would want my car probably.
Oh Gosh, you can well afford Boston! Check it out. The commutable towns around Boston will also get you a very nice place.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
My son lives in Somerville , but I would not have to live there or even in the next town.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
My son lives in Somerville , but I would not have to live there or even in the next town.
I would check out the Burlington, Wakefield, Andover and Peabody, maybe Salem. For $400K you can easily get a nice condo. You can also live closer to Cape Cod, many lovely towns like Falmouth. I love Falmouth and its beacues.

In this price range, you'll pay $300-$500/mo in condo fees, plus prop taxes, which can run $2,500K - $4k or more/yr.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:35 AM

966 posts, read 919,361 times
Hello there!
I just wrote very long post, in response to several others, and relating trials of long distance move and possible tips. I took time and re-read it, etc. Of course, i tried to post it and lost everything. *sigh* I just don't do well with computers....I hate them and they know it!!

Anyway, it's been a long time. I've thought of you often. It's been incredibly tough lately. I've been here almost 6 months and thought I'd be further along than I am. But still glad I made the move, still love it here. (Az.) Moved from NW IL. after difficult divorce, in hopes of feeling better physically and emotionally. On the whole it's been good. But so darn hard!!!

It's very late and I'm too tired to try to recreate my former (lost) post. I'll try again another time. But sending thoughts of encouragement to all you brave souls attempting or planning or hoping to make that desired move. Good luck. You can and will make it. Maybe not as soon as you hoped. And maybe it will cost more than you anticipated. Maybe it will take a toll on your energy and your emotional health,(almost certainly will). but I think it will be worth it. Despite how very hard and draining it's been for me, I can tell you that I am sure it was worth it. Hope you will be, too!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:49 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
I haven't put the condo on the market yet because I've still had no luck finding someone to fix the closet door. Gah! I hate being stymied by something so small, yet maybe the delay is not all bad. I still haven't decided where to go from here. So far I've thought seriously of Fargo, Missoula, and Minneapolis.

I know for sure that I need to live in a high-density urban area where I can run daily errands on foot. I do not want to buy a car.

I'm not afraid of cold weather, although that may change after I go through my first real winter in decades!

I know for sure that I want to rent a nice apartment instead of owning a condo or house. I miss having a full-time maintenance staff.

More than anything, I miss being within walking distance of Trader Joe's.

I've never considered New England, but some of the posts here make me think it might suit me.

artangel, I'm sorry you lost your post. I write long posts in Windows Notepad (or Mac TextEdit), then copy and paste them into the response box. If something goes wrong, at least I don't lose the post.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I haven't put the condo on the market yet because I've still had no luck finding someone to fix the closet door. Gah! I hate being stymied by something so small, yet maybe the delay is not all bad. I still haven't decided where to go from here. So far I've thought seriously of Fargo, Missoula, and Minneapolis.

I know for sure that I need to live in a high-density urban area where I can run daily errands on foot. I do not want to buy a car.

I'm not afraid of cold weather, although that may change after I go through my first real winter in decades!

I know for sure that I want to rent a nice apartment instead of owning a condo or house. I miss having a full-time maintenance staff.

More than anything, I miss being within walking distance of Trader Joe's.

I've never considered New England, but some of the posts here make me think it might suit me.

artangel, I'm sorry you lost your post. I write long posts in Windows Notepad (or Mac TextEdit), then copy and paste them into the response box. If something goes wrong, at least I don't lose the post.

Not sure if you want to list your place with a realtor, but I bet they would know some handymen. Often houses need little things fixed prior to selling.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
Thanks, popcorn. I thought the same thing, but my realtor doesn't know of anyone. I've asked everyone I've talked to in the last two months, including my neighbors, with no luck. Lowe's referred me to one guy, but he keeps saying he's too busy. A relative recommended a carpenter, but he didn't return my call. I think this job is too small to interest a contractor, although I'm willing to pay well to get it done, and there are no all-purpose handymen here in this town of around 55,000 people.

Sorry for ranting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement