U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM

8,143 posts, read 7,654,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
When you have time I would love to hear what made you choose Sarasota---from what I have seen it looks beautiful--another Florida town that looks interesting is Tarpon Springs. I find it fascinating hearing everyone's stories.
I chose Sarasota for the housing in close proximity to the many beaches, its walkability and transit factors. And of course I prefer a warmer climate as well. It is beautiful here and I love that I am a 10 minute ride, by bus from Siesta Keys beach, I can get to Lido and Venice beach in about 30 minutes by bus. It was important to me that I could easily get to the beaches in the area, I've never been able to do that with such ease without a car before. So much is in walking distance to my apartment complex. A few buses stop just up the street and one right out front of the building; suprising, since there's rarely ever more than five people on the bus down in this area of Sarasota. There are restuarants galore around here. We even have a Hooters. that seemed out of place but hey, the old guys have to have something firm to look at ever so often. now where the chippendales?

I can tell you, I've never seen so many grey haired people in one place at the same time in all my life other than in a retirement community, which this isn't. But it's nice that most of the people in my building are seniors, I enjoy being around kindered spirits not and again. Across the street in the other part of this complex, have a bit more families with youngins. We mostly have youngins of the four legged kind in my building.

All I know, is I lucked out moving here, made quick friends, people helped me in ways I will always be greatful to them. I moved in without furniture and two ladies instantly started finding things to make my first nights more comfortable. I tear up just thinking about them. I've bought things of my own since, but I was just amazed at the generosity of these women that didn't know me or anything about me other than they didn't see a bed in my apartment when they were helping me with moving the few items I was carrying in. Yep, the very next night, I had a bed compliments of these ladies and one of the complex managers. Good things haven't always happened for me in my lifetime, but more often than not, I've found more of the people I've encountered to have great spirits. Then again, I generally stay away as much as possible from bad energies.

Anyhoo, Sarasota has been better to me than I had. expected.

================================================== ======

Wisteria,

Good to see ya, I'll check in with ya a bit later, I still tire easily, so I'll chat you up soon. So glad things worked out with you SS. What nightmares we both encountered, but at least we got through them. .

Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

62 posts, read 88,165 times
Default Narrowing down Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I visited Tarpon Springs as I was exploring retirement locations. I found it to be pretty run down, though there are newer parts that I didn't get to explore. Just south of there is Trinity/Newport Richey which I much preferred. There is a beautiful 55+ community -- Heritage Springs -- which I was seriously considering but in the end, the bugs and humidity (and the alligators!) made me count Florida out. If you like those things, there are many communities north of Tampa that might suit you.
Thank you for the information--it is always good to hear another person's perspective when looking at potential retirement locations. I must admit I am not that keen on humidity--I much prefer the four seasons. I am still looking longingly at Maine but I have a little grandson(almost 3)in N California and the pull on the heartstrings is getting stronger especially now that both parents are gone and I am what I have heard described as being an adult orphan.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:37 PM

62 posts, read 88,165 times
[quote=TRosa;16499702]I chose Sarasota for the housing in close proximity to the many beaches, its walkability and transit factors. And of course I prefer a warmer climate as well. It is beautiful here and I love that I am a 10 minute ride, by bus from Siesta Keys beach, I can get to Lido and Venice beach in about 30 minutes by bus. It was important to me that I could easily get to the beaches in the area, I've never been able to do that with such ease without a car before. So much is in walking distance to my apartment complex. A few buses stop just up the street and one right out front of the building; suprising, since there's rarely ever more than five people on the bus down in this area of Sarasota. There are restuarants galore around here. We even have a Hooters. that seemed out of place but hey, the old guys have to have something firm to look at ever so often. now where the chippendales?

I can tell you, I've never seen so many grey haired people in one place at the same time in all my life other than in a retirement community, which this isn't. But it's nice that most of the people in my building are seniors, I enjoy being around kindered spirits not and again. Across the street in the other part of this complex, have a bit more families with youngins. We mostly have youngins of the four legged kind in my building.

All I know, is I lucked out moving here, made quick friends, people helped me in ways I will always be greatful to them. I moved in without furniture and two ladies instantly started finding things to make my first nights more comfortable. I tear up just thinking about them. I've bought things of my own since, but I was just amazed at the generosity of these women that didn't know me or anything about me other than they didn't see a bed in my apartment when they were helping me with moving the few items I was carrying in. Yep, the very next night, I had a bed compliments of these ladies and one of the complex managers. Good things haven't always happened for me in my lifetime, but more often than not, I've found more of the people I've encountered to have great spirits. Then again, I generally stay away as much as possible from bad energies.

Anyhoo, Sarasota has been better to me than I had. expected.

================================================== ======
Lovely to hear your story about finding your special place to be. How nice of all those people to be so very helpful and kind. How have you adapted to the humidity? I know that for some people it is a deal breaker but on the other hand many others are not bothered by it. How nice that four legged creatures are welcomed in your building

Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
FlyingScot,

You landed safely in the States. Welcome!!! Nice that you love your new place. When we make a right choice we know it. When did you move? Everything OK with daughter? Best wishes!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM

8,143 posts, read 7,654,313 times
[/quote]
Lovely to hear your story about finding your special place to be. How nice of all those people to be so very helpful and kind. How have you adapted to the humidity? I know that for some people it is a deal breaker but on the other hand many others are not bothered by it. How nice that four legged creatures are welcomed in your building[/quote]

I detest the humidity and the bugs, but not enough to not love this area and live out the rest of my life here, besides, NC wasn't much better when it came to bugs and humidity. There are three pools on the property and beaches everywhere, so the humidity doesn't really interfere with my day to day life.

PS, thank you to those of you that upped my rep points. I do appreciate the kind words. I would have thanked you individually, but you didn't leave names.

Last edited by TRosa; 11-02-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM

4,411 posts, read 5,936,697 times
Loveautumn, I've seen some type of device that emits a sound that is annoying to dogs and is supposed to stop them from barking. Supposedly you can even use it to stop your neighbor's dog from barking. However, I just don't like the idea of my little ones being hurt in any way. Can you imagine hearing some kind of high-pitched sound -- I think that would hurt! I just love them so much...I'm hoping things settle down soon. Thanks for the suggestion though, I do appreciate it.

TRosa, yes, that's my issue with FL too -- the bugs and humidity, hate them -- but then we had a horribly hot/humid summer here too....and you'll have such mild enjoyable weather while we're freezing here.

Flyingscot, I know Sarasota because my Mom lives in nearby Bradenton. I wasn't at all familiar with the Gulf side when she moved there. A couple things I like about the area: The geographic layout...if you look at the map, you can see the many bodies of water and barrier islands along the shoreline (Palma Sola Bay, Sarasota Bay, Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, etc.). So much turquoise water and spectacular scenery! The sand is also sugar-white and grainy -- not the kind that sticks to you. Sarasota itself is a sophisticated city, with lots of art galleries, upscale shopping and good restaurants. There are probably other lovely areas of FL as well, but the Sarasota area sure has a lot going for it in terms of the things that are important to me.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
TRosa wrote: I detest the humidity and the bugs, but not enough to not love this area and live out the rest of my life here, besides, NC wasn't much better when it came to bugs and humidity. There are three pools on the property and beaches everywhere, so the humidity doesn't really interfere with my day to day life.

I would love to visit Florida but first I want to know where all those snakes are on the loose. The PBS special the other night on this scared me out of my wits.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,959,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
TRosa wrote: I detest the humidity and the bugs, but not enough to not love this area and live out the rest of my life here, besides, NC wasn't much better when it came to bugs and humidity. There are three pools on the property and beaches everywhere, so the humidity doesn't really interfere with my day to day life.

I would love to visit Florida but first I want to know where all those snakes are on the loose. The PBS special the other night on this scared me out of my wits.
I happen to live in Homestead, FL which is about 20 minutes from the Everglades. I go hiking in the pinelands in Everglades National Park (ENP) lots during the dry season (winter and spring). I've only seen a python....maybe twice? I've never watched the PBS special, darnit! You just have to keep your eyes open and be alert - pythons don't scare me, its the occasional rattlesnake or coral snake that would give me the hee bee jeebeez!! I really am a nature lover and know most of the native plants down here.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM

The little geckos or salamanders or whatever they're called freak me out. They're always out on my Mom's lounge chair on her lanai, and sometimes in her house. They look like mini-lizards (which I guess they are?). It's so funny -- my Mom's lounge chair is brown and the geckos like to sun themselves on it. When I would bring my little dogs out on the lanai, the geckos would FREEZE. They would not move a hair, trying their best to blend in with the chair so the dogs wouldn't notice them. I love watching the wonders of nature!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Wisteria, I forgot to say "thank you" for the update. Glad to hear you're doing well and still checking in here occasionally. I had been out-of-touch last year during my move from NJ to PA, so I never knew how Nancythereader had come to decide on Santa Cruz or how you guys had hooked up....all I knew was, when I left she was still deciding where to go, and when I came back, she was in CA with you! As you may recall, I had been wanting to come back to CA, so I was impressed and a little envious that she had actually pulled it off. However, CA is quite an adjustment for East Coasters, and many (like myself) never do fully assimilate and end up back here. (I only lasted two years....and sometimes kick myself when it's freezing or hot/humid here.) Hence, I was really interested in her thoughts and reactions, though I'm sure living in Santa Cruz is very different from living in the sea of humanity and traffic in Orange County. Well, best regards to you both...wish I could come visit...but then I'd start wanting to move there again....oh well, I'll just try to enjoy the spectacular fall foliage and weather we're now having here in the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement