U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 03:58 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,283,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Hate to take up this space, but I can't give a link--they were copied into my notes from various internet sources, for reference. It helped me really understand the concept, so hopefully it will be of use to someone considering the options.
-snip the rest-
I strongly recommend that one does not rely on dimensions given! DH and I rented one for a couple years awhile back. It was 32' if I recall, with a living room tip-out. Lovely location on private property on the bank of a stream.

BUT - the 6' bed wasn't really 6' - it was supposedly a double bed, but I, who am 5'6", had to sleep diagonally on it. DH ]who was 6'4"] got stuck with the couch - he couldn't fit even diagonally. The water heater capacity was fine for doing dishes, but one had to take showers in stages - first stage, shampoo and soap up, wait a bit, second stage, rinse. And there was no room for STUFF. Fortunately, we also had a storage shed available. It was fine in the beginning, especially since we'd been staying with another family member who really wanted us gone asap, and we managed to save enough to buy another place, even though it was a fixer. It was good for short-term living, but the thought of living in one permanently gives me cold chills.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I likely will stay where I am- dream house in the woods, 25 miles from Cambridge, close to anything one could want for culture, medicine, part-time work, etc., although very car-dependent.
I think finances wil determine final choice. It's not cheap around here, but I'm noticing that no place I like is particularly cheap. At present, I am putting nose to grindstone for the next several years in hopes of having the money to make a true choice. I really just want to spend summers away from the East Coast more than anything.
I think I'd have issues of community and social life and friends anywhere, being a sort of isolated 54 with no family.
Hi,
I agree,financial part makes the decision.
Do you think will be easy to make new friends at this age(I am 57 years old,city woman,no family) ?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 9,417 times
I like the idea, more informations , more secure we feel. I am so pleased to read about all you ladies, you are no scared to start a new life.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:52 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
Default "Like attracts Like"

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella 7 View Post
I like the idea, more informations , more secure we feel. I am so pleased to read about all you ladies, you are no scared to start a new life.
Annabella, welcome! I'll bet you're overestimating most of us, thinking we're "not scared to start a new life". I think part of the reason this thread has become so popular is that we share common dreams AND common fears!
Like you said:
"the more ideas and information, the more secure we feel".

You also asked if it was 'easy' to make new friends at your age. Again, I'm not sure it's easy, but I know that for me, it's important enough to make it a priority. And I've been delighted to find so many women I'd actually like to be friends with!

So, join in, and add your thoughts to the mix!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I strongly recommend that one does not rely on dimensions given! DH and I rented one for a couple years awhile back. It was 32' if I recall, with a living room tip-out. Lovely location on private property on the bank of a stream.

BUT - the 6' bed wasn't really 6' - it was supposedly a double bed, but I, who am 5'6", had to sleep diagonally on it. DH ]who was 6'4"] got stuck with the couch - he couldn't fit even diagonally. The water heater capacity was fine for doing dishes, but one had to take showers in stages - first stage, shampoo and soap up, wait a bit, second stage, rinse. And there was no room for STUFF. Fortunately, we also had a storage shed available. It was fine in the beginning, especially since we'd been staying with another family member who really wanted us gone asap, and we managed to save enough to buy another place, even though it was a fixer. It was good for short-term living, but the thought of living in one permanently gives me cold chills.
Not sure what you mean about the 'dimensions', but I agree that it's not for everyone.
But, for me, I came to the conclusion that after traveling in a 27' RV for 3 years, that I didn't need as much space as I thought, like in a condo or home, and that a more suitable RV would accomodate my needs, and my freedom. So, for me, the 40' Park Model is perfect! I'm only 5'1, and live alone, so I never have problems with short beds, etc. What I always complain about is that cabinets are always so darn high!
And, about the water heater: again, maybe because it's just me, but even in my RV, I have plenty of hot water to shower AND do dishes. The one I'm buying has a tank double the size of this one.
So, your 32' trailer, and 2 fairly tall people, would be a whole different situation, and I can understand how you'd be cramped.
But, for me, it's like Goldilocks: "it's just the right size".

Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
And, if I'm not mistaken, you changed up your profile a bit, eh? No more 'NY' looking pic? Is that part of your transition?

Someone told me (much to my dismay)that the old quote I had were the last words that Timothy MacVeigh said as he was lead away . Yeech. So , it was QUICK. Get the Barlett's .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella 7 View Post
Hi,
I agree,financial part makes the decision.
Do you think will be easy to make new friends at this age(I am 57 years old,city woman,no family) ?
Welcome and come join in the fray here. In answer to your question, in a word, no.

But when I look at my "social" life now while I'm still working, it isn't easy to make friends now. I have very little free time that is not spent working, commuting, or taking care of my property. I don't really have deep social connections now like I built in college. But in college, I had time to go get coffee and talk about life and how the universe is put together. It is hard to have solid deep friendships (if you can find such a compatible person is the first stumbling block) when you just don't have any time for regular socializing. The socializing I do is mostly with people with whom I work and a lot of it is Dilbert-esque griping. Plus a lot of my friends have been men and outside of work, they tend not to be friends - wives don't seem to like platonic female friends for their husbands.

After I retire, I should have a lot more time that isn't automatically chewed up by those things. I'm hoping that after I relocate, I'll be able to find other people who are retired and have time enough to chew the fat with some regularity or go on walks with, etc. If not, that could become a problem. I envision joining some organizations and do some volunteer work as a means to meet people. Maybe take some classes. Join senior hiking events, etc.

My nature is not very outgoing among strangers and it takes me a little while and getting to know people before I feel comfortable. So I know I will have to make an effort to not be isolated. I keep thinking that we baby boomers are numerous and there are a large percentage of us out there who are facing middle-old age as single women. So we should be able to find each other, shouldn't we?

As far as the braveness goes - I comfort myself with the knowledge that every time I've moved before, I've found some friends. So this should work too. Also, for the very first time in my life, where I go and where I choose to live will be only because I want to be there within the constraints of my income. Also, once I retire, even here will very different because I won't have those daily relationships (for good or bad) that are at work.

Any way you cut it, retirement means forging a whole new life for myself. So I may as well go live in a place I really want to live in.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
Quote:
Tesaje: After I retire, I should have a lot more time that isn't automatically chewed up by those things. I'm hoping that after I relocate, I'll be able to find other people who are retired and have time enough to chew the fat with some regularity or go on walks with, etc. If not, that could become a problem. I envision joining some organizations and do some volunteer work as a means to meet people. Maybe take some classes. Join senior hiking events, etc.

My nature is not very outgoing among strangers and it takes me a little while and getting to know people before I feel comfortable. So I know I will have to make an effort to not be isolated. I keep thinking that we baby boomers are numerous and there are a large percentage of us out there who are facing middle-old age as single women. So we should be able to find each other, shouldn't we?

As far as the braveness goes - I comfort myself with the knowledge that every time I've moved before, I've found some friends. So this should work too. Also, for the very first time in my life, where I go and where I choose to live will be only because I want to be there within the constraints of my income. Also, once I retire, even here will very different because I won't have those daily relationships (for good or bad) that are at work.

Any way you cut it, retirement means forging a whole new life for myself. So I may as well go live in a place I really want to live in.
Hi Folks, I have been -- and am still -- involved in getting my daughter graduated from high school (which she just did), and now doing the college orientation away from home, etc..... so I will be in and out of here for awhile.

Tesaje, you are correct. Actually, that is the situation I am currently in...ironic how we can be working, and yet do not have a big social circle outside of work. I, too, feel the same way -- it will be nice to have more down time and to be able to putter around in things that I really enjoy. I enjoy my paycheck at work...but I think I would enjoy having more free time to explore interests, better!

Anomoly, I hear you! I am only 4'10"!!! A shrimp! Reaching those cupboards are tough!! If I didn't have my little stool I drag around with me throughout the house, I'd never be able to use much space at all!!

I heard from my friend, Linda, who is now in Truth or Consequences. She is busy unpacking (451 boxes -- hard to believe!) -- and she is on Poplar in Truth or Consequences. Once she is more unpacked, I will give you her number and all, as I know she is looking to meet more people, too. Although she's married, she's very social, and she's already met someone from our Santa Cruz (Boulder Creek) area! Small world.

I have also had contact with a woman in Las Cruces (not on City Data), who said that Las Cruces actually has a lot of spiritual activities and people there. So, I think that is another place to re-check for me.

Also, I have heard from another woman who is retired who is interested in Albuquerque. Anomoly, would you be willing to meet her at some point up there in TorC? I thought that maybe if we could have a central meeting point in New Mexico, that would be a good start. What do you think about TorC being the central meeting point from where we start checking out other cities -- or maybe TorC being "the" city? We could have a big meet-up at the local hot springs!!!

I will be gone for a few days and may not be able to visit here, so stay well! This is becoming a great thread and I think it's time we start really figuring out how to meet up. Even if we just have mini-meetups, it's a start.

Nancy TheReader: Yikes, I can see why you changed your profile!! The big day is coming up quickly!! Congrats to you!!

How are you doing, DancingEarth? I bet you are busy getting settled into your new place!

Good ideas, great women, I can't wait to meet in person!

P.S. Anyone want to buy a small home in the Santa Cruz area....so I can get out of here???

Old 06-15-2008, 02:52 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
Smile I feel the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Welcome and come join in the fray here. In answer to your question, in a word, no.

But when I look at my "social" life now while I'm still working, it isn't easy to make friends now. I have very little free time that is not spent working, commuting, or taking care of my property. I don't really have deep social connections now like I built in college. But in college, I had time to go get coffee and talk about life and how the universe is put together. It is hard to have solid deep friendships (if you can find such a compatible person is the first stumbling block) when you just don't have any time for regular socializing. The socializing I do is mostly with people with whom I work and a lot of it is Dilbert-esque griping. Plus a lot of my friends have been men and outside of work, they tend not to be friends - wives don't seem to like platonic female friends for their husbands.

After I retire, I should have a lot more time that isn't automatically chewed up by those things. I'm hoping that after I relocate, I'll be able to find other people who are retired and have time enough to chew the fat with some regularity or go on walks with, etc. If not, that could become a problem. I envision joining some organizations and do some volunteer work as a means to meet people. Maybe take some classes. Join senior hiking events, etc.

Tesaje, I am in much the same situation. I live 20+ miles from work, most of my time is spent at work or taking care of my property. I've done some volunteer work, but have found it difficult to connect with other people who share some of my passions. I am only 57 years old, but cannot wait until retirement to move out of south Florida. This area is just too transient and too touristy. I want to live in a small community close to a bigger community with good health care and necessities close by. I am single and it is difficult to develop relationships with married couples. I am sort of quiet but love to go out and hike, garden, go shopping, antiquing, so many things. I hope you can find your place to settle, too.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
How are you doing, DancingEarth? I bet you are busy getting settled into your new place!
Hi Wisteria (and all), Are people looking at your house? I don't have a closing date yet for my new place. This is the strangest way I've bought a house yet. I called last week and gently nudged them. I'll call again this week to see what the progress is. Rather odd considering the agent wanted me to buy it in three weeks a month ago. They have to get the county to give a seal of approval of the finished house before proceeding. I told her my housemate needs a firm date so he can rent the place out hoping to get a final date.

I would like to meet everyone but TorC is a distance to drive for a weekend and friends and family want to visit and I'm running out of vacation days. If you do get together and come north, let me know.

Annabella: I'm 55 and don't find it more difficult to make friends than when I was younger. It takes time, patience, and effort. When I get discouraged I remember "to have a friend, be a friend" and then invite someone to do something. If they don't seem interested move on although you never know what happens with your invitation. I recently saw a woman who I gave my number to at the clay studio a couple months ago who seemed totally disinterested in doing anything together and this time she said "we should do something sometime." Since we have similar interests I will probably see her next fall in the studio and maybe then we'll do something together. Friendships do take time to grow. It is hard with working and having solitary interests that take up time to fit it all in. I am pretty sure I won't want to move after I've made new friends since I found this house that would be great for retirement (one floor, not too big, in town and a small private backyard) and although I appreciate my friends from around the country, I want to stay put and put more effort into other things other than starting over again. If I can't afford the house on my own after retiring I'll consider renting out one bedroom which has it's own bath. Perfect house for retiring.

I spent the last five days in Raton at the rendezvous having a great time. Danced a waltz in the middle of a field with a good looking man from CA who knew what he was doing (fun!), found shady spots to put a blanket down and read and nap, did a little spinning, went shopping on trader's row and bought a huge Spanish style hat, met new people, cooked stir fried pork & veggies for a bunch of men who told me for days what a good cook I am (nice to be appreciated), took lots of walks up the canyon with a friend and her dog--very relaxing five days. Today-- back to work and other than starting a beginning drawing class at the community college will be packing getting ready to move, hopefully the last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement