U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
I am retiring in Bend, Oregon. Housing is much cheaper than in CA---$150,000 for a new three bedroom home and even cheaper in Redmond which is about fifteen miles away.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,588 times
Default retirement

[quote=jilltucker56;16590346]I am retiring in Bend, Oregon. Housing is much cheaper than in CA---$150,000 for a new three bedroom home and even cheaper in Redmond which is about fifteen miles away. The problem is my six cats that hate carriers, driving in cars, and one another. Any solutions?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,809,925 times
Instead of a carrier, use small rabbit cages that are open is a possibility. I know when we moved, our vet gave us some pills we could use to relax them if they got stressed out. They never needed the pills and did better than we did on the long drive.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Wisteria, thanks for the update, great to hear from you. These few years of working at the job will go fast and soon you can drop so much stress from your life. You will be awarded a special shoestringer commendation and speak at an international forum for shoestringers!

I am staying on the east coast even though my kids are scattered in all directions (the married one is here, with a hope of a grandkid some day). I have figured out ways to cut some primary costs and I liked having a housemate. If I stay in this particular house I will find one. If I don't stay in this particular house I will still be in this general area, unless my daughter convinces me to move to Maine with her and her partner.

I still wish we could collectively write a book and go on Oprah. Would sure be great to all meet in person some day too!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

205 posts, read 360,449 times
Just returned from visiting my son and his girlfriend who live in Berkeley, CA. I now really hate living in Florida (the elections were bad enough). Oh, don't get me wrong - still love my townhome. Just wish I could move it to Berkeley or somewhere in the Northern CA area. My son really wants me to move out there. Think he is worried about me "getting older" and would like me to be closer. Very sweet. Who knows, the seed has been planted. I'm still young 60's so have my second chapter of retirement coming up maybe in the next five years or so ........? Anyway, something to think about.

I am in love with the area. Have visited SF before (on business) and liked it a lot. But love the other side of the bay. Know there are other areas around even down to Santa Cruz and some others east. Will have to start seeing what is out there.

My visit with my son was great. Getting ready for my daughter coming on Monday to bring me my "grandcat" Blix. Like all good older New Yorkers (he was born in and lives in Manhattan and is now 7) he is "retiring" to "FLArida." Actually, her work is just keeping her so much away from home that her room mates are taking more care of Blix than my daughter and it's wearing a little thin. He just can't go any where else but here. So, they're flying down on Monday morning. Blix will be sufficiently sedated as he is not the best traveler. Think my daughter will be too.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,406,670 times
Karcon - Sounds like a wonderful trip! Since you like it so much, you could move and be near Wisteria!! And your son Sweet that he worries about dear ole ma Sounds like a plan

Hello to all the W/MRATANC/S. NEG - sounds like you are narrowing down your future options. If you love it where you are, why move anywhere? I would love it in New England. The geography and architecture gives me a warm fuzzy for some reason. If we are going on Oprah, we'd better hurry up - she is done in May Always a day late and a dollar short

I NEED to take a trip out to CO and check out the 2 areas I'm thinking about (Ft Collins/Loveland & Colorado Springs) so I can maybe narrow it down a bit more and focus on one area. Tesaje - do you have any plans on going out early next year?

More later~~~

Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Default Confuesd and Concerned

i'M SOON TO VENTURE ON MY OWN,WITH RETIREMENT MONEYS ONLY, SCARED AND ALONE FOR THE FIRST TIME . A TWICE DIVORCED PERSON OF OVER 40YEARS OF MARRAGE, i DONT WANT LONELYNESS IN MY LIFE. BUT I'M SHOCKED THAT A WOMAN WOULD MOVE FROM THE SAFETY OF THE WEST TO MOVE TO THE DANGERS OF THE EAST COAST. WHY?, HOW STUPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria

Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durcot View Post
i'M SOON TO VENTURE ON MY OWN,WITH RETIREMENT MONEYS ONLY, SCARED AND ALONE FOR THE FIRST TIME . A TWICE DIVORCED PERSON OF OVER 40YEARS OF MARRAGE, i DONT WANT LONELYNESS IN MY LIFE. BUT I'M SHOCKED THAT A WOMAN WOULD MOVE FROM THE SAFETY OF THE WEST TO MOVE TO THE DANGERS OF THE EAST COAST. WHY?, HOW STUPID

What are the dangers of the East Coast?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What are the dangers of the East Coast?
glad you asked that question, neg - here i was, feeling very secure, working at my computer, on the east coast, of all places and i'm wondering if i should be scared i'd fly out west in a heartbeat but i just can't handle being molested by security at the airport.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:26 AM

13,349 posts, read 25,612,945 times
East Coast is no more dangerous that any other huge swath of the U.S. Maybe the reference was to dangerous part of a bad part of some big city (which would be dangerous no matter where in the U.S.)
Regarding the absurdity at the airport- it's my understanding that the "patdown" (grope) is only if you refuse the body scanner or set off something in the body scanner or choose the patdown instead of the body scanner. And not all airports have the body scanner.
I personally think I'd go through the scanner if necessary but would refuse a physical patdown, and wouldn't fly if it were required for some reason. It's way overboard.
Plus, it doesn't make anyone one whit safer. But that's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement