U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Reputation: 6866

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the sisters (and LiveContent wherever he may be.)

I first posted on this thread in November 2008. Several of the earlier regular posters, DancingEarth, Anomoly, PNW-Type-Gal and KnoxGarden, appear to be gone but are not forgotten! I also want to thank the early posters who either provided a wealth of information, made me think a little harder or made me laugh out loud. They include, but are not limited to (legalese for "I'm probably forgetting someone") StealthRabbit, Tesaje, Karcon, Wisteria, Coney, Avalon08, NancytheReader, Popcorn247, LauraC, BrightDogLover, NEG and Umbria. A special thanks to TRosa for making me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes!

I believe it was my first post in which I complained about the cold in Maryland. I'm still here and I'm still cold! I recently learned I have a rare disorder that makes me hypersensitive to cold. I really want to move near my children, but it looks like they will all end up in the New England area. My current plan is too either be a snowbird or suck it up and move north. I just hope I don't spend my whole life planning!

Anyway, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 
Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,134 posts, read 7,642,583 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all of the sisters (and LiveContent wherever he may be.)

I first posted on this thread in November 2008. Several of the earlier regular posters, DancingEarth, Anomoly, PNW-Type-Gal and KnoxGarden, appear to be gone but are not forgotten! I also want to thank the early posters who either provided a wealth of information, made me think a little harder or made me laugh out loud. They include, but are not limited to (legalese for "I'm probably forgetting someone") StealthRabbit, Tesaje, Karcon, Wisteria, Coney, Avalon08, NancytheReader, Popcorn247, LauraC, BrightDogLover, NEG and Umbria. A special thanks to TRosa for making me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes!

I believe it was my first post in which I complained about the cold in Maryland. I'm still here and I'm still cold! I recently learned I have a rare disorder that makes me hypersensitive to cold. I really want to move near my children, but it looks like they will all end up in the New England area. My current plan is too either be a snowbird or suck it up and move north. I just hope I don't spend my whole life planning!

Anyway, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Ah shucks, thanks for the special mention. That made my day.
Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

To all my sisters and others that make this thread so enlightening and often fun, I hope all of you that celibrate the holiday, have a great Gobble Gobble day.
 
Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
 
433 posts, read 991,957 times
Reputation: 389
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Reputation: 17765

I believe it was my first post in which I complained about the cold in Maryland. I'm still here and I'm still cold! I recently learned I have a rare disorder that makes me hypersensitive to cold.

Gosh, I wonder if I have that. I am someone who can not seem to warm up. This week has really been cold here in Central California (it was in the low thirties last night , very very unusual ) .

Thanks for your kind words. And, you have a great Thanksgiving too.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
 
Old 11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Reputation: 3824
Default Happy Thanksgiving to all

For me tomorrow is a day to think of all the things throughout my life that I am grateful for.

Retiring to a new state is off the table for me until Arizona real estate recovers, and by then I may be past the age to relocate. It was fun thinking about and planning it though.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
For me tomorrow is a day to think of all the things throughout my life that I am grateful for.

Retiring to a new state is off the table for me until Arizona real estate recovers, and by then I may be past the age to relocate. It was fun thinking about and planning it though.
Windwalker,

Isn't Arizona where many folks want to retire to? I'm curious to know what you would prefer.

Also, how bad is the housing market in your state?
 
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23704
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Windwalker,

Isn't Arizona where many folks want to retire to? I'm curious to know what you would prefer.

Also, how bad is the housing market in your state?
Also elaborate on any feelings about SE AZ. I hear the Cochise Mtns have a very moderate climate (such as highs in the 80's during the summer, and rare dusting of snow in winter) Paradise, AZ sounds enchanting.

I'm helping a friend move to Willcox, AZ in January, (Yes, I will do ANYTHING to leave the PNW in January)
 
Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Reputation: 3824
I can't stand the heat in the summers any more. I seem to tolerate cold better. I'm not that familar with SE AZ. I'm in the Tucson area.

Real estate here has dropped about 36% statewide and more in rural areas. Prices are not expected to recover any time soon.

The state is in quite a financial mess and doesn't have the political leadership needed to fix it. Taxes will go up, services will continue to decline.

Water will become increasingly scarce and more expensive. Climate change will make life more difficult, more heat, etc.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
...Taxes will go up, services will continue to decline.

Water will become increasingly scarce and more expensive. Climate change will make life more difficult, more heat, etc.
Thx, Sounds all too familiar.

The water issue is very significant in several western states. And yes AZ is quite dry for my tastes.
(280 days of drizzle has it's drawbacks as well). It appears the climate cycle will be drenching the PNW again this winter. (since I just had 3 days of freezing rain / very early cold and wet). Unfortunately, my firewood did not get a good drying out this last summer, so the heat value is decreased and consumption is UP.

I was pretty impressed with NE TN last week and it seems to have some opportunities for providing a better winter Clime. Maybe May - Oct I could rent out my 'yet-to-acquire' TN mtn joint and return to PNW for our great summers. (I don't do Air Conditioning...)

Cozy tonight
 
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Winter Park FL
205 posts, read 359,955 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by durcot View Post
i'M SOON TO VENTURE ON MY OWN,WITH RETIREMENT MONEYS ONLY, SCARED AND ALONE FOR THE FIRST TIME . A TWICE DIVORCED PERSON OF OVER 40YEARS OF MARRAGE, i DONT WANT LONELYNESS IN MY LIFE. BUT I'M SHOCKED THAT A WOMAN WOULD MOVE FROM THE SAFETY OF THE WEST TO MOVE TO THE DANGERS OF THE EAST COAST. WHY?, HOW STUPID

Durcot, you are new to this thread and probably (as we all did) found it because you were looking for like-minded, single women of a certain age. But you seem so angry (or scared). Am sure it is somewhat intimidating to find yourself after 40+ years of marriage, and for the first time in your life, to be on your own. But that is the beauty of this thread. Some of us have been on our own for many years, even with raising children. For some, like yourself, this is the first time on their own.

Change is always scary. But life is about change - kids grow up and leave home, parents and loved ones pass away, marriages and relationships end through death or divorce. Jobs we once loved are gone, friends move away. The one constant in life is - change. We either fight and scream or we embrace it, roll with it. We can fight the wave or ride it for the thrill of our lives.

I don't know where in "the west" you live that you feel so safe and secure. But then you talk about how lonely you are afraid of becoming - doesn't sound very safe and secure there.

But, the one thing that saddens me the most about your post is to call anyone of these women who had the courage to change their lives, have bonded and shared hopes, dreams, failures, fears, insecurities as "stupid." These are all brave and amazing women. We have laughed, cried, and inspired each other and most of us have never even met. What an amazing "reunion" that would be if we could all get together.

I hope you take the time to read all of these postings - from beginning to end. Hopefully, you will learn something about us - and yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top