U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

433 posts, read 991,850 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry about your dog. I've been there. Peace to you and to her.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thankyou everyone for your good wishes. I truly appreciate it. This is such an emotional time, preparing to leave a place I've been in for so long, and also having to put down my dog in the next few days. She can no longer walk and has been having nighttime fits. While I am excited about my new situation there's a lot to be done! and I don't know how i'm going to handle the act of putting down my dear sweet dog. Lots of tears today.
So sorry about your dog. I had to do that for a 17 year old cat last summer. They don't last long enough.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
I am ..moving!
  • a smaller house
  • nice small yard
  • quiet street
  • one mile from a major college,
  • around the corner from the supermarket
  • everything I need is within a half to one mile including
  • public transit, doctor, chiropractor, dentist, animal hospital, restaurants, the senior center (with the sr. van for older years), and the lovely campus.

I'll be closer to one of my kids and not far from another, and closer to a sister.

I think I'll be much better off and happier in my new place ...good wishes!
Good wishes indeed NEgirl

It sounds wonderful and we wish you the best.

Sorry to hear about the failing Pooch. The other night I was thinking about how tough it will be to put mine down. Git'n up there in age, but oh such a good dog (Choc Lamb with considerable 'graying')

I have had a few get all stoved up and unable to walk before I finally had to put them down.

We'll be thinking of you during this difficult time. Life certainly comes with a (daily) 'mixed bag of emotions'

Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,805,987 times
NEgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Someone once told me that letting go was the biggest act of love we can show to our pets. Try to remember all the love & good times you've shared.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,221 times
NEGirl it sounds like you have found something many of us would like to find.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost a dog I was really close to in March and still miss him and expect I will for a long time. He died suddenly on his own from an undetected cancer. I did have time to say good-bye because even though the vet denied he was dying, I knew he was.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Thought I'd share a video of a dance I went to last weekend. You can catch a glimps of me at 3.41 into the vid. I'm holding up a bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iBy4PV9w-A
wow! quite the party! that was fun going thru all the pics! so totally sarasota...... thanks for sharing ...........and it was a lovely bow.....hope to see you sometime in the near future! just got to get myself in gear.....need some of that sunshine!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,129 times
Quote:
Thankyou everyone for your good wishes. I truly appreciate it. This is such an emotional time, preparing to leave a place I've been in for so long, and also having to put down my dog in the next few days. She can no longer walk and has been having nighttime fits. While I am excited about my new situation there's a lot to be done! and I don't know how i'm going to handle the act of putting down my dear sweet dog. Lots of tears today.
NEg, first , my tears flow with you on your faithful doggie. it is so hard....my kitty of 17 years experienced so many life transitions with me and when the time came that it was obvious he wasn't doing well, i couldn't take any more losses. but it was amazing how he softened that loss, even waving goodbye to me at the end. i still can see him and ya know, he's still here with me in so many ways. i'm so glad to have had a good kitty - you are so lucky to have had a doggie friend. cry and remember the healthy times.

and second, on the move, congratulations! such an answer to your many questions. it's been a delight "seeking" with you. keep us informed of the new start! don't drop out of the conversation.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM

62 posts, read 88,072 times
Red face NEG's Move

Quote:
I am happy to say I signed on the dotted line this morning and am moving! I was able to buy a smaller house with a really nice small yard on a very quiet street a few towns over. It's one mile from a major college, around the corner from the supermarket and everything I need is within a half to one mile including public transit, doctor, chiropractor, dentist, animal hospital, restaurants, the senior center (with the sr. van for older years), and the lovely campus. I am fortunate to a financial arrangement that allows me to move into the new house while still having my current one, so the transition will be smooth, then I will list my current house in March. I'll be closer to one of my kids and not far from another, and closer to a sister. This will be a strange and welcome transition from living in an upscale suburban town with nothing much to do here to living in a lively town with lots to do. I think I'll be much better off and happier in my new place though there are a few tradeoffs. Also fortunately I will have my kids to move me. All I have to do is stay calm! Thanks to the posters who sent me good wishes!
So happy to hear your good news. If you dont mind me asking what town did you move to? How wonderful to know everything is falling into place for you. It gives hope to those of us still struggling with where to go--for me it Im narrowing it down to Maine or California although right now here in Scotland it really feels like Maine what with all the snow. So sorry to hear about your beloved pet. I too have been there. God Bless

Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
wow! quite the party! that was fun going thru all the pics! so totally sarasota...... thanks for sharing ...........and it was a lovely bow.....hope to see you sometime in the near future! just got to get myself in gear.....need some of that sunshine!
Hope you get in gear soon, I have two sofas, (one pulls out ), ready and waiting. Thank goodness it's starting to warm back up out here; I'm really looking forward to some much warmer beach weather so I can get back in the ocean and not just sit on the sand. Though just sitting and looking out at the waves is quite enjoyable too, on cooler days.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
So happy to hear your good news. If you dont mind me asking what town did you move to? How wonderful to know everything is falling into place for you. It gives hope to those of us still struggling with where to go--for me it Im narrowing it down to Maine or California although right now here in Scotland it really feels like Maine what with all the snow. So sorry to hear about your beloved pet. I too have been there. God Bless
I love Maine. Ilooked at Maine quite a lot as my daughter had been wanting to move there. She brought me through some very lovely towns Down East and in the end, before she concluded that the move was not right for her and her DP, I concluded that I did not want to be that far away from the one adult kid who is married, settled for good around here, and does construction and home improvements ). In Maine, every place we saw was fine for her but the driving just to get basics was not at all for me at my age and mobility ability. I had been hoping to find everything I need within a very short drive within a town. I stayed in some great places including Damariscotta and Bath and also some river towns but in the end could not see myself making it in in the golden years any if the places we visited. That's not to say that other seniors wouldn't be able to love it and make it in Maine, it was just me and my very specific situation.

I found my new place by accident. I usually delete those daily real estate updates by email, I was about to unsubscribe when I got one on a Tuesday morning, begged the realtor to get me in by noon the same day, made a deposit within an hour. It has absolutely everything I need within a very short drive of a mile and walkable (when I can) to the supermarket, library and senior center with van service door to door. One mile to campus with parks and ponds. I will not be bored there as I am here.

There's lots more hoops to jump through before the move. I feel in a daze, mostly from losing my older dog. I still have one and we're sticking together quite a bit now.

More later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement