U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 05:35 PM

121 posts, read 254,323 times

Advertisements

Hello all you great women retiring alone! I've not posted or followed this site for the past six months or so. I've lost track of what everyone is doing with their retirement plans. I've just closed on a second home in Sequim, WA. I visited the Olympic Penninsula many times and decided that this was the place for me. It was a difficult decision to make. It would have been easier to stay put but I was determined to move! I have wanted to live in the pacific northwest for most of my life. All I can figure is that I had such fond childhood memories visiting relatives up in that area. I know that I can't rekindle the past but I'm going to do my best! All but two of my immediate family have either moved or passed on. I'm now in touch with my neices, nephews and grand neices and nephews on Facebook. I'm getting to know these wonderful young people thru their social networking sites. I have great hope for the future, there are some great young people out there with something to say! I look forward to moving to my new home as soon as I can sell my present home. I'm not in a hurry as I've been blessed with a wonderful career and great co-workers. I need to move on to create a job for a deserving person who has their entire future ahead of them. I plan on becoming active in my new community at the senior center, the hiking club and the humane society. I have no fears about making new friends because the right people will be there when they need me and I need them. I will probably end up being so busy I'll have to go camping to get away! (LOL) The best part of this story is that my best friends of twenty years are also moving to Sequim! They went with me to Sequim when I went to look at homes with a realator and they bought a home before I did! That surprised me because I thought they were Miami or Phoenix kind of folks! I'm kind of secretly hoping they keep their home in San Diego so we all have a winter get-away when the weather turns foul! I'd keep my San Diego home but I can't afford it! Darn! I'm really looking forward to retirement! Several of the families at work have requested vacation visitation at my new home which I granted with glee! These young families have captured a place in my heart and I'll have plenty of land and room to put them up! I realize now that life is about people and connections. They don't have to be blood relatives to find a place in your heart. We make our own families as love and kindness draws us together. Merry christmas to all!
Fairwinds

Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM

2,629 posts, read 4,965,990 times
Fairwinds, your plans sound wonderful!! Congratulations!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,947,309 times
Newenglandgirl, I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. I have two little ones, aged 1 and 2...I just love them so much. I was crying the night before my little girl was being spayed. I felt so bad she was so happily oblivious when I knew what was happening the next day, and that she'd be away from me overnight. So, I can't even imagine what I'd be like in your situation. My thoughts are with you, friend.

TRosa, wow! Way to assimilate into the Sarasota society scene! :-)

Fairwinds, congrats on your decision too!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM

62 posts, read 88,230 times
Default Naming Your Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Hello all you great women retiring alone! I've not posted or followed this site for the past six months or so. I've lost track of what everyone is doing with their retirement plans. I've just closed on a second home in Sequim, WA. I visited the Olympic Penninsula many times and decided that this was the place for me. It was a difficult decision to make. It would have been easier to stay put but I was determined to move! I have wanted to live in the pacific northwest for most of my life. All I can figure is that I had such fond childhood memories visiting relatives up in that area. I know that I can't rekindle the past but I'm going to do my best! All but two of my immediate family have either moved or passed on. I'm now in touch with my neices, nephews and grand neices and nephews on Facebook. I'm getting to know these wonderful young people thru their social networking sites. I have great hope for the future, there are some great young people out there with something to say! I look forward to moving to my new home as soon as I can sell my present home. I'm not in a hurry as I've been blessed with a wonderful career and great co-workers. I need to move on to create a job for a deserving person who has their entire future ahead of them. I plan on becoming active in my new community at the senior center, the hiking club and the humane society. I have no fears about making new friends because the right people will be there when they need me and I need them. I will probably end up being so busy I'll have to go camping to get away! (LOL) The best part of this story is that my best friends of twenty years are also moving to Sequim! They went with me to Sequim when I went to look at homes with a realator and they bought a home before I did! That surprised me because I thought they were Miami or Phoenix kind of folks! I'm kind of secretly hoping they keep their home in San Diego so we all have a winter get-away when the weather turns foul! I'd keep my San Diego home but I can't afford it! Darn! I'm really looking forward to retirement! Several of the families at work have requested vacation visitation at my new home which I granted with glee! These young families have captured a place in my heart and I'll have plenty of land and room to put them up! I realize now that life is about people and connections. They don't have to be blood relatives to find a place in your heart. We make our own families as love and kindness draws us together. Merry christmas to all!
Fairwinds
How nice to hear of another poster finding their special place and naming it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM

434 posts, read 993,832 times
I'm glad about your new home, Fairwinds. I have friends who moved to the Olympic Peninsula several years ago and love it there.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:10 AM

967 posts, read 921,771 times
Fairwinds,
I'm happy for you and hope your plans are successful! I want to compliment you on your wording of the last sentence in your post-----it's wonderful! I quote:"We make our own families as love and kindness draws us together." Beautifully put.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,024,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
Fairwinds,
I'm happy for you and hope your plans are successful! I want to compliment you on your wording of the last sentence in your post-----it's wonderful! I quote:"We make our own families as love and kindness draws us together." Beautifully put.
I echo that (and your last sentence in your post). That should be added to the great quotes of all time.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,916 times
Congratulations Fairwinds!! Sequim is a great place!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 AM

434 posts, read 993,832 times
Happy New Year to all you women who post in this thread. I hope 2011 is our best year ever.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,024,159 times
I echo Riverbird, Happy New Year and many new adventures ahead!
Peace and blessings to everyone on this thread,
NEG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement