U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM

434 posts, read 993,404 times

Advertisements

One more thing that fits in with this thread: On 12/28/09 I put a reminder in my google calendar for 12/31/10, listing four things I wanted to accomplish in 2010. I forgot about the reminder until today, when an email from my past self arrived. I'm glad to have accomplished three of those four items. Today I'll create a new reminder in google calendar of a few things I want to accomplish by the end of 2011.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,963,173 times
Happy New Year everyone! May 2011 be the best year of all!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,064,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Happy New Year everyone! May 2011 be the best year of all!
Ditto. Happy New Year to all. May all who have made their changes find 2011 continues to reward.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM

2,227 posts, read 2,044,038 times
Happy New Year to all. And may those of us who were thrown off track by the economic crisis find our way again

Old 01-01-2011, 08:24 PM

6,055 posts, read 5,830,458 times
I'll second that emotion. May all of you looking to better your lives through means of employment, exercise, quitting smoking, getting in shape, etc., do just that in 2011! I'm sure hoping 2011 will be a lot better than 2010 was, yuk! What a nasty, nasty year 2010 was. Be done for and bring on a happier year of 2011!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,590 times
Default to Wisteria

I am a teacher in San Diego, CA and plan on retiring June 2011. Since my retirement pay is rather skimpy, I am going to retire in the Redmond/Bend, Oregon area. Redmond, which is about 16 miles from Bend, offers brand new homes from Hayden Company for about 139,900 dollars. I am talking about a three bedroom plus den, two full bath home a little over 1500 square feet. You can also get a USDA loan at zero down and about 4.3 % interest because the houses are on rural land. If you want a newer pre-owned home and like two story houses, they run about !25-140,000 dollars. As for the social aspect, Bend offers just about everything. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,545 times
Hello,
Happy New Year! I am new to the forum... and happy to find this topic somewhere. I currently live in Metro NY and there is no way I can afford to retire here. I have lived in a number of cities in the US and know that the quality of life can be greater eventhough living on less income. I am a planner, so I may have started this process too early, but nonetheless - Iam currently 55.

If I stay in the U.S. I will most likely go south. I want to move to a place that has access to an international airport since I do like to travel and the least number of connections the better. I would like an area that has good light rail or metro/bus system since I do not want to be tied to a car and I want a walkable place without extreme weather. Is this asking too much? Oh yes, and I would like to be around a university - since I have worked in higher ed for the last 15 years -- the kids keep you young ;-)

In my head, I see the Atlanta metro, parts of Florida and parts of the Carolinas. My regional airport has direct flights to Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft Meyers & Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa… also Cincinnati – where I lived for a decade, as much as I liked it, I don’t know if I would retire there. My thinking was that one of those places has potential and the transition could be easier.

The next issue - yeah, I am full of them. Is that I am at an age where I SHOULD buy long term care insurance... but many of the plans are tied to states... who knew?? That being said, I would also like access to good medical facility.

Have I asked too much? Of course I want this all on as little money as possible. I have always lived in apartments or co-ops (the strange living that seems to be only in NY). The concept of a planned community, townhouse is new to me... not sure how I feel about a 55+ place.

Thanks for listening.... I just started reading all the posting -- so if I repeated a earlier question forgive me!

Cheers,
L.A. living in N.Y.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,075,448 times
I heard on a radio program that long term care insurance is going by the wayside...insurance companies don't want to sell it anymore because it will cost them too much in the long run.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM

434 posts, read 993,404 times
Happy New Year, laadams! Before you buy LTCI I suggest you do a lot of research. There's a topic on it in this forum:

Long Term Care insurance...

I posted my experience in response #23 in the above thread. In short, I purchased LTCI several years ago and last year the premium was raised drastically even though it was indexed for inflation. Turned out the carrier could raise premiums if the usage turned out to be higher than expected and if the carrier's investments didn't do well. As loveautumn said, it costs the companies too much. So I cancelled it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laadams View Post
Hello,
Happy New Year! I am new to the forum... and happy to find this topic somewhere. ..
If I stay in the U.S. I will most likely go south. ...access to an international airport since I do like to travel and the least number of connections the better. I would like an area that has good light rail or metro/bus system ...I want a walkable place without extreme weather. Is this asking too much? Oh yes, and I would like to be around a university - ...

In my head, I see the Atlanta metro, parts of Florida and parts of the Carolinas.
... I would also like access to good medical facility.

...I have always lived in apartments or co-ops (the strange living that seems to be only in NY). The concept of a planned community, townhouse is new to me... not sure how I feel about a 55+ place.

L.A. living in N.Y.
While I'm not fond of Atlanta, it is probably the best scenario to your requests. (I don't do heat / muggy real well)

There are some decent and safe walkable communities, I kinda liked College Park (Near Airport) last time I was there. Close to Metro line, and a decent small city center. IIRC MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

I would look to Raleigh, NC as another choice and see how it fits you (decent airport Hub). (Maybe Nashville too)

Here is a website for senior housing co-ops. nothing in South YET, but you can start one! Senior Cooperative Foundation
this one is nice and near a U (but in WEST TX). Palo Duro Retirement Village_Home

There are some advantages (and disadvantages) to 55+. Each will have to determine.

Another source of potential housing is Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops, but for multi-generational, you may have kids and pets crawling all over your dinner table during shared meals. (some 'parents' these days )

Unfortunately I already have LTC, as my parents and some family were health disabled pre-age 50. My plans (since I can't afford medical) are to move overseas till I need LTC, and probably come back to OK, where it is cheap and good care (facilities in many OK small rural towns).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement