U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,057,438 times

Advertisements

Dancing Earth and Anomaly- New homes!

Wisteria- Graduated a college bound daughter from high school!

Nancy the Reader- Retiring!

Did I miss anybody else achieving happy milestones?

Congratulations all! No moss growing under the feet of the ladies on this forum.

Nancy, did you decide to accept the part-time consulting position or are you going to be a lady of "leee-zuure" for a little while?

Interesting, I basically think the rest of the world is all taller than me. ( I'm 5'1".) I was heartened to read a couple of you are in my same height range.After you read someone's postings for a little while, you start to get a visual image of them. Not that I picture all of you on here as athletic, Amazon women, but I did have everybody in this adventurous, talented and accomplished group pictured as several inches taller than me. Just reinforces the old adage that good things often come in small (or at least shorter) packages. And taller ones, too. Vive la difference!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:14 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
molly ~ thank you for asking. I do not think that I will take that consulting position (though I have until Sept. to make up my mind). I have been waiting for this freedom forever.
AND , I am 5'1" also . I used to be taller, but .....

annabella ~ I wish that I could say that I felt brave. Mostly I feel frightened that I might make the wrong move. Sure you can make friends at 57. That is not exactly ancient . lol.

wisteria ~ thanks for remembering. How are things going with your own beautiful place?

tesaje ~ I am not exactly a beaming ray of extroverism either. I would have the tendency to hide away for weeks, but I kind of force myself to go out to meet with people. And, look ! We both wound up here. That is a little bit of reaching out, right ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I am 5'2!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
As usual, I'm the giant of the bunch - 5'7 here. Seems like most of my women friends are tiny like you folks.

I was wondering how you were reacting to your impending retirement, Nancy. And yes, we found this wonderful place with lots of single middle aged women, too! I think the trepidation must be normal. It has to be one of the very biggest life changes one can meet - and we get to meet it all on our own.

I marvel at how Tressa is making so many huge changes all at once, but she does have her husband to do it with.

I'm almost glad there is so much work left to do on my house before I can sell it and move. It forces me to stay put for a year after I retire so the retirement is one step with time to get used to it before I do the next step of moving to a new location.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think the trepidation must be normal. It has to be one of the very biggest life changes one can meet - and we get to meet it all on our own.

I'm almost glad there is so much work left to do on my house before I can sell it and move. It forces me to stay put for a year after I retire so the retirement is one step with time to get used to it before I do the next step of moving to a new location.
When I make changes, I take one step at a time. A friend taught me the mule step when I hike--I use to push to get up hills and he said "slow down and do the mule step." Now I do that whenever I'm overwhelmed with anything. Go into mule step mode, make lists, do one thing at a time. Right now my goal is to pack five boxes every night to get ready for this next move. I worried about how I was going to physically move the stuff again now that I have no family here and my few friends are old and I don't want to ask them to help and I don't want to spend a lot of money moving it a few miles. I know I could go to a temp agency but I don't want strangers knowing where I live. Two weeks ago a co-worker walked into my office and asked how I was going to move and offered her husband and his trailer and he also knows reliable people I could pay. It was a huge relief. It seems to always work out.

A motivation for me to forge ahead and make changes is when I see I am NOT doing something I want to do because I am afraid. That just pisses me off enough to find ways around my fears--treating the fear gently as a child. I do that by researching, thinking about it, finding ways that aren't quite so uncomfortable--putting a toe in the water easing into what I want to accomplish and then sometimes I jump in and shock everyone (quitting a good job and moving cross country and going to college and doing an AmeriCorp VISTA stint.) I was surprised they were shocked since I had researched and considered it for two years! Still on my list is learning Spanish by going to Mexico to a immersion school. Someday.

The good thing about being short is you don't see the dust on top of the frig. At least until you climb on the stool to get something out of the cupboard.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
When I make changes, I take one step at a time. A friend taught me the mule step when I hike--I use to push to get up hills and he said "slow down and do the mule step." Now I do that whenever I'm overwhelmed with anything. Go into mule step mode, make lists, do one thing at a time.

A motivation for me to forge ahead and make changes is when I see I am NOT doing something I want to do because I am afraid. That just pisses me off enough to find ways around my fears--treating the fear gently as a child. I do that by researching, thinking about it, finding ways that aren't quite so uncomfortable--putting a toe in the water easing into what I want to accomplish and then sometimes I jump in and shock everyone
This is how I gain courage too.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM

433 posts, read 991,525 times
I'm 5'5".

Dancingearth, I hope you get a firm closing date soon.

I have an update of sorts: I'm not going to move out of San Francisco this year. After many hours of research, I've realized there are few, if any, other locations where I can walk outdoors comfortably and safely 365 days a year and where I can get along easily without a car. My main reason for moving would be to get a larger place (I lease a small apartment in a good location right now). I'm loving getting up early in the morning and taking long walks along the shoreline, so I'll put up with the small apartment for another year. Sigh. Everything is a tradeoff.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM

The good thing about being short is you don't see the dust on top of the frig. At least until you climb on the stool to get something out of the cupboard.

I never thought about it like that, but very true........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
nancy thereader--Are you counting down the hours yet? Next week you're finished right? Oh, I'm so jealous!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:58 PM

hi , dancingearth. Almost. Once Monday comes , it'll be practically a memory. And, thanks for remembering.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.