U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I like shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. So, my theory is why not take advantage of the tons they spend on market research and see where they have located their stores. They pick good locations with lots of transportation. Of course, that is not my only source but at times, it has led me to places I did not know about such as Cary, NC. Cheers!
When I was looking to relocate out of New England I googled all the places that TJ's and WF's are located. Not that I would always shop there (the prices are quite high), but the places where these stores are located are "trend" places and they're chosen for lifestyle demographics (I am a true boomer in that respect, need people who somewhat share my lifestyle and values). I have a son in Cary NC, quite a nice place (hot and humid in summer). Close to Raleigh. When I visited I was very impressed, their WF and TJ are great (in Cary and also Chapel Hill). But these places (although lovely) are not small contained places with good public transport, or easy to get around in old age. I decided not to make a move there. I wanted a place with great senior public transport.

 
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: California
4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Reputation: 9608
There are also earthquakes in western Tenn and I read the state isn't prepared for them. Since Nashville/Franklin are to the east, I'll still consider it. Within one block in San Jose we have a Costco, WF, and TJ - that will be a hard act to follow. Does anyone have any suggestions for cities with good transportation? In Morgantown, WV seniors can ride the bus for quarter! Buses make me car sick so I would rather use a light rail system if at all possible.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Reputation: 23716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
... Since Nashville/Franklin are to the east, I'll still consider it. ...
If TN is even an option, please consider Knoxville region, I recently looked at Greeneville and Johnson City too. Many great choices in NE TN, but 'Light-Rail' is gonna be a tough sell in NASCAR country

Many smaller cities have great regional senior services including transportation and meals. Oak Ridge is especially interesting to me (despite Nuclear Contamination ) I really enjoy the active, intelligent, engaged senior demographic near national labs. Since I grew up in Colorado, digging in the dirt (more uranium contact from soil in NM and CO, than the 3 -Mile Island 'release') & UNDER POWERLINES I'm hosed.

At this stage of life I'm ready to take a few risks. After helping assist so many seniors, I'm not real keen on living to a 'too-ripe' old age

(bring on the donuts!)
 
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When I was looking to relocate out of New England I googled all the places that TJ's and WF's are located. Not that I would always shop there (the prices are quite high), but the places where these stores are located are "trend" places and they're chosen for lifestyle demographics (I am a true boomer in that respect, need people who somewhat share my lifestyle and values). I have a son in Cary NC, quite a nice place (hot and humid in summer). Close to Raleigh. When I visited I was very impressed, their WF and TJ are great (in Cary and also Chapel Hill). But these places (although lovely) are not small contained places with good public transport, or easy to get around in old age. I decided not to make a move there. I wanted a place with great senior public transport.
Quote:
Not that I would always shop there (the prices are quite high), but the places where these stores are located are "trend" places and they're chosen for lifestyle demographics (I am a true boomer in that respect, need people who somewhat share my lifestyle and values).
This is also true of Portland. These stores know where the money is.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Reputation: 4222
I have a TJ's right down the street from me too...hummm, guess I must have more money than I think I don't often shop there, but that place is a goldmine...bet they sell more wine than food! And now there's a Peet's Coffee right next to it, so even better.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have a TJ's right down the street from me too...hummm, guess I must have more money than I think I don't often shop there, but that place is a goldmine...bet they sell more wine than food! And now there's a Peet's Coffee right next to it, so even better.
Sorry, I see I gave the wrong impression. TJ's is reasonable compared to the other grocery stores around here. I was thinking more of New Seasons and Whole Foods when I was talking about expensive stores. You can't get as much at TJ's as in other stores but I love what they have that's exclusively theirs.

One in my area has an organic produce supermarket next to it and another has a Panier's bakery next to it.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: California
4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Reputation: 9608
So you feel Knoxville is better than Nashville in terms of where to retire? I have a wish list and good transportation is on it but I also know there will have to be some trade offs since I didn't win the Mega Lottery. After putting my husband through ASU, he went to Boulder for a job and eventually married a young lady complete with kids...I don't know what I would do if I saw him again but I do know, it wouldn't be pretty, so it is in my best interest to stay away from Colorado. It is a wonderful state otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If TN is even an option, please consider Knoxville region, I recently looked at Greeneville and Johnson City too. Many great choices in NE TN, but 'Light-Rail' is gonna be a tough sell in NASCAR country

Many smaller cities have great regional senior services including transportation and meals. Oak Ridge is especially interesting to me (despite Nuclear Contamination ) I really enjoy the active, intelligent, engaged senior demographic near national labs. Since I grew up in Colorado, digging in the dirt (more uranium contact from soil in NM and CO, than the 3 -Mile Island 'release') & UNDER POWERLINES I'm hosed.

At this stage of life I'm ready to take a few risks. After helping assist so many seniors, I'm not real keen on living to a 'too-ripe' old age

(bring on the donuts!)
 
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: California
4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Reputation: 9608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sorry, I see I gave the wrong impression. TJ's is reasonable compared to the other grocery stores around here. I was thinking more of New Seasons and Whole Foods when I was talking about expensive stores. You can't get as much at TJ's as in other stores but I love what they have that's exclusively theirs.

One in my area has an organic produce supermarket next to it and another has a Panier's bakery next to it.
I really like TJ's products also but they do short you a little on package size on many products so as usual, buyer beware. The new WF that opened near them is really expensive so it will be interesting to see how long they last. We like to spread their sun dried tomatoes on pizza. What is your favorite product?
 
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Reputation: 4222
I have a WF and a Jimbo's close by too...they are very expensive, IMO. But it's a place "to be seen" I guess, a status thing. I like to go to a store that has everything I need in one place, because I don't like to grocery shop (least favorite chore). Personally, I shop at Stater Bros with all the other old folks. Their prices are low compared to all other grocery chains here, amazing how much I save by shopping there.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: California
4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Reputation: 9608
Hi All, I have a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? for Retirement which lists additional resources at www.Parachuteretirement.com. Hopefully, someone finds this useful. Jimbo's - aren't they in Ohio? Someone compared them to shopping in San Francisco but I haven't been to Jimbo's so I can't say. I can't wait to get out of this condo so I can get back to growing my own veggies again! Someday....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top