U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In San Jose there are a lot of people with ties to Portland so I hear a lot of mixed opinons, some say it is wonderful others complain about the rain, drugs and other crime. The rain doesn't need to be shoveled like the snow, and crime can't be avoided. Portland is only a train ride away from San Francisco. At some point, I would like to see for myself but that faultlline going through the center of Portland makes think. If you are leaving or staying in Portland, why?
I don't mind the rain and there are drugs and crime everywhere one goes. They have nothing to do with why I want to leave.I am leaving mainly because I can no longer afford to live here. I don't find it a great place for older people unless they are pretty well-off or at least better off than I am.

It's just no longer the place for me and I am keen to move on.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's just no longer the place for me and I am keen to move on.
I can appreciate that.
on the other hand.... I was sick of the rain 30 yrs ago, but (sometimes) I can cope, (not by choice, but life is not frequently 'made-to-order').

The $39 fares to SMF (Sacramento) are my escape, tho today I sit in 70F sunshine in Tucson for a couple days

In PDX region I have the benefit of some low costs that I really appreciate. (Fresh fruits and veggies for very cheap).

But... I'm holding a beautiful home in the restricted Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area that has dropped over 50% in value, so I won't be getting rid of that joint anytime soon. I will rent or leave it vacant so I can travel and live overseas. It will be an ez sell when market corrects due to being a VERY EZ 20 mi to PDX airport. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to replace the place due to the gorgeous view and restrictions to future building. It can be quite peaceful and recharging to have an uninterrupted view as far as the eye (clouds) can see.

Vancouver (much slower / limited activity is just right for some, but is generally a bedroom community of Portland. There is decent DAYTIME public transit between the two. It takes 10 minutes to drive to downtown PDX, or 40 min by light rail (from North Portland). I go to PDX at least a couple times / week for supplies. Vancouver was a draw when I had income, but lost much of its benefit as unemployment loomed. I personally can't deal with the intensity of politics in Oregon (WA is bad enough, but at least it is digestible and tolerant of voters having a choice). Unfortunately, each state has a 3 county voting majority that controls the legislation and rules for the entire state ~ 50 additional counties (Very tough for farmers, employers, small businesses).

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,015 times
Lots of earthquake swarms going on here this week so maybe we won't have to worry about selling our condo. Riverbird, are you sure you want to come back to his part of the country?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM

433 posts, read 991,850 times
Eeeek! Ha!

StealthRabbit, your home sounds lovely.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM

79 posts, read 100,620 times
I've been reading your thread from the beginning, and feel I have come to the end of a long, lovely story. Now the bonus is that I can interact too!

What was said about the 6 "colors" of geographic, financial, biological, medical, psychological and social resonates with me. I will consider all of them when choosing my next locale. I usually have an immediate, visual reaction to whether I like and connect to a new area. Driving into the Pacific Northwest the first time, I'll never forget my excitement and reaction to driving under the tall pines. I grew up and lived the first 20 years in the plains of Kansas, so you understand. I felt a kinship to the people in Seattle that I haven't felt living in Washington DC, Dallas, or the South. I lived for 6 years in a log house near Breckenridge, CO. Once again, I loved the tall pines and animal life--feeding chipmunks and the birds that flocked to my deck. I liked exploring the mountain roads, never knowing what new would be discovered. This was in my late 50's. The high elevation, risk of "living on the edge," and need to care for family, finally brought me back to the rolling hills of Missouri. After time there and when family needs were finished, I sold my house, threw my cat (gently) into the subaru, put my things in storage, and road-tripped to the East coast, exploring Virginia and NC for a year. Now I'm in Alabama living in my son's house and trying to get it sold for him. I've been reading this thread to get ideas on where to go next. I've found, at age 66 and 10 years out of the corporate world, my life has continued to evolve and there are still new places out there that I want to explore. My husband deceased 15 years ago, and since that time our two sons are now married and I have 6 wonderful grandchildren, but they are living out of the country in Europe and S. Korea! So I visit when I can afford to do so, use Skype, and send things that I make to them, like Princess dresses for the little girls.

I'm considering two places that I haven't seen discussed here: Northwest Arkansas and Lexington, KY. I drove through NW Arkansas and, once again, had an immediate connection to it's tall pines and the opportunity for wild life. There are many retirees living in the area between Fayetteville and Bentonville, AR, especially in Bella Vista, AR. Fayetteville lets Seniors take classes free at the University, there are many arts festivals, lots of live music, and Bentonville, the home of Walmart, is building a world class art museum with walking paths through the pines surrounding it. Housing is very reasonable. The PNW population is expected to grow to 1M people in the next 15 years. I'm not sure if that is a plus or minus. One downside is the tornado activity around Centerville, near Bentonville. Growing up in Kansas, I never saw one even though there were many warnings.

Access to international airports and good hospitals are important to me. Lexington is better in both these areas than NWA. I haven't seen Lexington yet, and want to take a roadtrip up there. How I wish for a "B" RV van like you have talked about! My kitty and I both like to explore new places. The Charlottesville, VA and Asheville NC areas are what I liked best in the East. Charlottesville costs more than I could sustain, and Asheville has steeper mountain climbing than I could continue into later years. What I've realized most in retirement is that it continues to evolve. I've so enjoyed the availability of time--time to explore painting, sculpting, sewing, reading, seeing new things, meeting new people and having new experiences. It has been a wonderful discovery in this thread to find there are other single women out there like me.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM

"...and feel I have come to the end of a long, lovely story. Now the bonus is that I can interact too!"

Thank you for contributing your story to ours. I don't think this is the end of the story but a daily newspaper about how to find our own place. At times I am reminded of the song Simple Gifts"...turn, turn, till you come down right." I can relate to your story as I left Ohio for the wrong reasons, fifteen years later I left Phoenix for the right reasons with no regrets. My last stop has been the Bay area and now must leave for financial reasons. So, do I stay on the West Coast where I am familiar with or return to where my roots are? I have a cousin who was in the habit of marrying millionairs so she has built a huge home in Charlottesville, VA - for me, I can't afford that area. I have heard good things about Asheville, but it might be a little isolated and I've read about a lot closed boarded up store fronts. Lexington Ky,/Nashville/Knoxville are they similar? I remember driving through that area once but other than what I hear on CD don't know much. After growing up in Ohio I can't tell you much thunder/lightning upsets me and I don't enjoy shoveling snow. A man I do volunteer work with a man who is from PA and there is something about him that really makes me miss my roots. You just can't beat a good ol' farmer's sense of humor, integrity and love of the land. Keep us posted.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM

79 posts, read 100,620 times
Heidi60, sounds like you have been an explorer too. I like your quotation. Have you thought of moving to the Bend, Oregon area, as some others have mentioned here? That would be on my list, except it would cost too much to move my things that distance. I hadn't heard about boarded up stores in Asheville. It has been a couple years since I was there and the economy has changed in that time. I've driven through Nashville and Knoxville, but not Lexington. They are very scenic and green, with homes sitting on the hills above the city. Nashville and Knoxville are listed in the top 20 asthma capitals in the US, so I've cross them off my list. Lexington may have that problem for me too. If anyone is interested in the list, see www.asthmacapitals.com I agree with you completely that I want to stay away from shoveling snow! There was a lovely young neighbor, a fireman, in MO who shoveled my driveway when it snowed. One of the perks of being "old!"

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM

433 posts, read 991,850 times
Hi, frazl. I know little about the areas you're thinking of, so I'll just wish you luck. Sounds as if you have a great attitude!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
But... I'm holding a beautiful home in the restricted Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area that has dropped over 50% in value, so I won't be getting rid of that joint anytime soon. I will rent or leave it vacant so I can travel and live overseas. It will be an ez sell when market corrects due to being a VERY EZ 20 mi to PDX airport.
StealthRabbit, when oh when do you see the market correcting? All I can see is a decade ahead with dropping and/or flat housing prices and then...the boomers unloading their country, suburban, and oversized homes, adding to the foreclosures all of which means tons of homes on the market till 2020. That's why I'm saying screw it, I'm selling now. I bought a foreclosed home at a very very low price and am about to put my house on the market....as soon as the snow clears. If it doesn't sell, I may be forced to rent it (arrgggh). But I must leave my place here now or never. I'm unable to manage it anymore. I figure I will take whatever I can get and move on. I can't wait to start my new life in my new location

Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?
Is this forum being hijacked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement