U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
StealthRabbit, .. when do you see the market correcting? All I can see is a decade ahead with dropping and/or flat housing prices and then...the boomers unloading their country, suburban, and oversized homes, adding to the foreclosures all of which means tons of homes on the market till 2020. ...I must leave my place here now or never. I'm unable to manage it anymore. I figure I will take whatever I can get and move on. I can't wait to start my new life in my new location
No crystal ball, and each area / situation will be different, BUT... I see it as you do. Basically a long haul and possibly no housing recovery in some areas.

I'm glad you have a plan to move on, and I fully support that action.

On the other hand (i.e. tevya), I have not found my Anatevka YET, worth me selling current joint for a huge capital asset hit. (I have somewhat of an ideal house and location, all be it pretty spendy and a burden to maintain). BUT, I'm young, I can maintain it, I can afford it (probably a few consulting gigs a yr are in order to avoid dipping into retirement funds).

I can also figure out a plan B for current joint by making it a split residence
and renting to another ''retiree'' / antique student that likes to be home when I'm gone (often). Now to find that special renter who wants to live 20 minutes from an international airport (& TJ), 30 min to Portland, 6 minutes to Safeway, and a wealth of endless hiking, photo, windsurfing, salmon fishing, weather watching right outside the door (on 12 acres of its own with PLENTY of NFS property within the neighborhood.

Plan C is leaving the joint sit empty while I go try on a few spots. IF I FIND and absolute "MUST HAVE" place, I can use some retirement / Heloc / or savings to buy; then and sell 'Casa Grande' when I find the right buyer.

For my situation, I would rather find part-time work and ENJOY my current abode, rather than stomach the replacement properties I see ( plus I have absolutely NO CLUE where my Anatevka will be, BUT I expect some ole cranky Czar will appear and I'll be pack'n my life's treasures on my donkey cart (StealthRabbit) and heading down the road, (to the sound of a 'fiddler on a roof') Tzeitel was my favorite cast member, and we had a great time doing this play in Colorado HS in 1970 ish.

BTW: Welcome Frazl. I was a Nebraska / Kansas prairie babe~(y), before retreating to the heaven of Colorado (20 + yrs), then being captivated by WY (still my Fav), and then be CapTIVE to PNW (with interludes living in Asia, Canada (Gulf Islands) and Europe. Keep up the quest. I am looking at getting a place near Knoxville, as one of my USA investment props (with a tiny spot for me, on occasion).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-18-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM

79 posts, read 100,555 times
What an interesting life you have led, Stealth Rabbit, and I like that you plan to continue your unique choices. I spent time in Berlin last summer and was ready to buy a small flat. Berlin is less expensive than most cities in the US. The interesting mix of different sections of the city, its' energy, the surrounding villages, and access to all of Europe via mass transit, all had me excited. Some drawbacks were that very few Germans speak English, which made me wonder how welcome they would be to a transplant American. Second consideration was finding private medical insurance. In contrast, in Finland everyone speaks English, except for the very young. Of course, who am I to want others to speak English when I don't even know their language?

I agree that housing will continue to be hard to sell, especially with aging boomers wanting to relocate. I've read in the news that interest rates are expected to start climbing by the end of 2011. The last time rates were high, many could only sell their homes by being willing to finance themselves. I'm expecting a surge to sell/buy houses this Spring, then slowing as the rates rise.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,005,138 times
Stay away from NY too expensive!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
Stay away from California too, too expensive and there are no tax benefits for retirees here at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

433 posts, read 991,407 times
There's one tax benefit: California does not tax income from social security.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
oh yes, that's right. SS not taxed, pensions fully taxed. 8.75% sales tax in San Diego

Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,341 times
Cool Retiring and moving alone

I too will be moving alone. I am now retired and am looking into Manteo, NC. I like slow, easy pace and small town atmosphere. I love nature, paint and like the water. Any other suggestions. Also, I will be renting and prices there don't seem too bad.
Marciabarnett

Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 17,341 times
Cool Retired and moving

I too am moving alone. I like the water and warmer temperatures, warmer than New York, where I now reside. I have been looking into Manteo, NC. I love nature, the water, easy pace, small town atmosphere. The rents don't seem too bad either. Any other suggestions. The only thing about it that is a negative is that it is hard to get to.
Thanks
Marciabarnett

Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM

79 posts, read 100,555 times
Welcome, Marcia. Have you been to Manteo, NC? I'm always glad to hear of new places. Looking at Sperling, I see their population has grown 13%, so others must be discovering the island too. I see, looking at the map, that there are two crossing areas from the mainland. Let us know as you find more about Manteo. The area looks very interesting with nearby Nags Head, the wildlife refuge areas and Cape Hatteras. Where is the nearest hospital and airport? The mild climate looks very livable.

I've been researching online a town of about 23,000 located 20 miles West of Charlottesville, VA. Staunton, VA has a number of things I like, but the cost of housing looks comparable to Charlottesville, which is higher than I want. Staunton is located along Skyline Drive in the mountains, and has many arts and music events at reasonable prices. They are building a planned walking village which includes a number of artist's lofts for under $200,000. I see very few rental properties in Staunton.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,132 times
Good morning ladies (and gents if you're reading)....
I received the following from Women Living In Community group in Asheville NC - don't have a lot of details as yet but thought this could be something of interest. I will get further info including contact info as that part did not copy when I did a quick cut and paste.

What caught my eye was several posts from people who were interested - it appears these suites may be rentals and the price I saw was 400.00 to 900.00, all utilities included. I assumed initially it was a buy-in set up but that doesn't seem to be the case. However, I will get more details if anyone wants them, including contact people.

The person who runs the Meet Up group on this has been heavily involved in community building and has put her "stamp of approval" on this so I don't think this is anything to be concerned about as to legitamacy.............if that is spelled right.................and it might be..............i think it is bonafide.....if that is the proper usage of the word bonafide............

let's leave it at "sounds of interest".

I don't have any connection with this but thought it was kind of cool and will be interesting to follow the success. Having just figured out that I might actually be able to buy something in the near future if I can just figure out where, I'm becoming more attentive to the unorthodox and unconventional.

asheville community post follows in italics:

We are currently redesigning a large home on a beautifully landscaped lot with mountain views for community living. Four spacious, creative and natural lighted suites between 250 and 650 sq. ft. are available. Each suite has private bath and all utilities are included. Common space of over 1000 sq. ft. includes full kitchen with all appliances, dining area, living room with fireplace, reading room, screen porch, and laundry room. A 700 sq. ft. studio/workshop space is also available. Suites vary in price according to square footage and amenities.

We work with a variety of community building skills and are committed to facilitate a collaborative environment. If this sounds like a place where you would like to live and cultivate authentic relationships, contact me for more information.

Laurie

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement