U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Hello;
You and I have similar situations, although I am a few years older. Because I am also young at heart and have a lot of energy, I want to be in a stimulating environment. Have strongly considered moving back to my home state of Michigan, up near the Traverse City area. It is stunningly beautiful and is one of the most perfect little microcosms of living areas that I have ever seen. It's artsy, as social as you want, classy, educational classes, yoga center, foodie, and people are just plain nice, and obviously you get so much more for your money in the housing market and general lower cost of living. However, the caveat that I think of most often is the weather in winter. I do love the distinct four seasons. But now I am older and have lived in the Bay Area in California for almost 30 years. Will I be able to take the constant cold and uber snow season as I continue to age??? Life is so filled with challenging choices.
Because I love animals and consider myself a activist conservationist at heart, I volunteer at many places all over the planet to help animals. One of my fave, most endearing places in in San Andreas, CA. It is called PAWS (Performing Animals' Welfare Society) and they have also an animal sanctuary in Galt, CA (near Sacramento). At San Andreas, they have 2500 acres and on that land, they house and care for several elephant they have rescued from deplorable abusive conditions in circuses and zoos. There are other animals whose lives were saved, such as tigers, bears and lions from Bolivia. Now, these animals are free to roam and just be themselves, without having to be beaten or starved or otherwise manipulated by man in some fashion. So my heart is really with PAWS and their efforts to improve the lives of animals in all places. I have consequently been looking at real estate up and around Calaveras County. It is beautiful country there and I could certainly be able to continue to volunteer my services at PAWS, plus get a small "paying" job as well, to supplement my retirement monies. California definitely IS expensive area, compared to many other states. I think the area I am looking at (Valley Springs & San Andreas) is very rural. The first thing I checked is "where is the nearest Costco?????". Another upside is that I could keep my doctor, my dentist, and my hairdresser here in the Bay Area if I moved to Calaveras County. Lots of great wineries up there, coming into their own now and I think that many people in California are moving up into that area for the last several years, so we would have plenty of company in our age groups. So much to think about, eh?

aspen1

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
The first thing I checked is "where is the nearest Costco?????".

I checked for the nearest Costco when I moved, too.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
Karcon. I can relate. Know you will understand. I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles. My big awakening, without any warning, was Feb. 9, 1971 when we had a 6.4 earthquake. Swore I was getting out of southern California as quickly as I could. I managed to move north before the Northridge earthquake wreaked its havoc.

Compared to L.A., Sacramento is greener, but it's still high desert so it's very dry in the mountains. Every time I drive north through Oregon and Washington I feel so energized by the moisture and greeness everywhere. Sunshine is nice, but I'm not a big fan of all sunshine all the time. I traded earthquakes for forest fires and a chance of flooding. I think a move north would mean trading forest fires totally by flooding, with a little snow and volcano eruption from time to time.

Is the solution that we all meet up in Greece? LOLOL

Cheers!
Marganne
GREECE!!! Count me in!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I love the Flickr photos. Thanks for sharing. Well, our canine pals don't live long enough on Earth, but they will forever live in our hearts. My Lady is 12 1/2 now and Katy is 7 1/2. They are mom and daughter.
We are Elves and they are Humans

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM

79 posts, read 100,647 times
Welcome to the thread, aspen1. What an interesting life you have planned working with abused animals. I checked out Spring Valley and San Andreas, and it looks like median home cost in Spring Valley is $240,000 vs. $169,000 in San Andreas. You would be about an hour away from Lake Tahoe to cool off on hot summer days. I've visited California and always enjoyed my visits, but haven't spent any time there. It looks like the area you are interested in locating has July highs of 97, but the comfort index is much better than average in the US. because of the low humidity. I haven't experienced that combination, have always lived in hot, humid climates and stayed indoors during the heat of the day. Can you take daytime walks with the temps reaching into the mid-high 90's as long as there is low humidity? Or is the comfort factor rated so high because it cools off in the evenings. I've never liked humidity and would certainly like to get away from it.

An area I've been considering recently is Boise, ID. It looks to have a similar climate as Spring Valley/San Andreas, is four miles from pine mountain forests and many lakes. What I like about Boise is that it is a very walkable city, low cost living, low crime, vibrant downtown, very family oriented. Apparently with the University there, the city leans more left than most of the state. I've been hanging out in the Boise forum to read more about it.

I've found this website, Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address is very useful for finding cities that are walkable. You can look up a specific city, and/or a specific address within any city. It will show where everything is that you would want within walking distance. This website may have already been posted.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 AM

121 posts, read 253,763 times
For those of you considering Utah for retirement, may I make a suggestion? Cedar City is a nice little town, gets down to about 22 degrees at night in the winter but warms up during the day. For about $125,000 you can buy a really nice summer cabin at Brianhead just 30 minutes up the mountain from Cedar City and have wonderful cool summer temps. Brianhead is a ski area and is accessable all year around if you have all wheel, four wheel drive or a set of chains for the tires in the winter. There's a college in Cedar City and the summer Shakespear festival. If you want night life, most locals drive two and a half hours south to Las Vegas. Cedar City is a sleepy little town with good friendly folks and strong family values. The closest Costco is one hour south in Saint George but Cedar City does have a Super Wallmart and some pretty good restruants. If you like to hike, enjoy the great outdoors and don't mind a place that rolls up it's sidewalks by 9:00 pm, Cedar City may be the place for you. It certainly is affordable providing your home is well insulated and you have an energy efficient heating system. Summers are a bit warm (80-90 degrees F) but there is zero humidity. Summer afternoons often have thunderstorms that cool things down nicely. Cedar City is at an elevation of 4000' so it doesn't get overly hot in the summer. You'll still want air conditioning though! Swamp coolers work great there as well because the air is so dry. I considered retiring there but my skin can't handle the dry air. My sister lives there and loves it! Of course she's a hiker and spends her free time hiking in Zion, Bryce or many of the local trails just outside of town. The scenery is spectacular! There are lots of hidden slot canyons, waterfalls, mountain lakes and red cliffs with vistas of the national forest that go on forever. You have to get off the beaten path to discover these numerous hidden gems. The mountains just east of Cedar City are a favorite vacation place for residents of Las Vegas but they're never crowded because there is such a huge amount of national forest. On many of my hikes we never saw another soul on the trails and the mountain roads didn't have much traffic, even at the peak of tourist season.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 AM

121 posts, read 253,763 times
For all you dog lovers: I forgot to mention that Cedar City area (Iron county) is great for dogs because of all the national forest and BLM land surrounding Cedar City. I hike with my dogs off leash on BLM and national forest land there. Also, there are lots of petroglyphs throughout the area which I love to photograph. There are a lot of ranches that raise sheep and cattle just ouside of town. There is even a highway named Lund Highway that's a designated livestock trail. I've had to wait on the highway while drovers herded hundreds of sheep down the highway. It was kind of "cool". There is some serious wilderness areas in Iron County with deer, coyotes, mountain lion and the occassional bear. I've only seen deer, antelope, hawks, ravens, rabbits, squirrls, chipmonks and coyotes on my hikes. You can find arrowheads and nice collectable rocks if you keep your eyes open. There are lots on Pinon Pine and Cedar so you have greenery all year long. My dog found a nice deer antler which I kept. My sister and I also collect pinon pine cones and remove the pine nuts, shell and roast them for our salads. There's also some good trout fishing in the local lakes. Most of the trout are planted from the fish hatcherys.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I think having a community focus (like the animal work) or a church group or something in the wider world that works for someone might trump any other choices of place (unless you truly cannot afford to live in that place). Maybe it's just me, but I think finding a cause/group/community is hard, and I wouldn't want to give that up lightly, as much as I might prefer this weather or that scenery.
And then there's that aspect of becoming more car-dependent, rather than less... but maybe I worry too much about old-old age.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Fairwind ... Great writing about the Cedar City area for humans and dogs. I can't wait to check out the southern part of Utah.

aspen1 ... Your life and work sounds grand. I'm ready for the day I can concentrate on helping out in animals shelters as well as becoming a bird watcher. Ahh, the grand and simple things in life are the best.

I'm originally from Burbank, California and actually have relatives in Galt.

I'm afraid Michigan would have a little too much snow for me, but from whence you came sounds like a delightful place.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
Karcon. I can relate. Know you will understand. I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles. My big awakening, without any warning, was Feb. 9, 1971 when we had a 6.4 earthquake. Swore I was getting out of southern California as quickly as I could. I managed to move north before the Northridge earthquake wreaked its havoc.

Compared to L.A., Sacramento is greener, but it's still high desert so it's very dry in the mountains. Every time I drive north through Oregon and Washington I feel so energized by the moisture and greeness everywhere. Sunshine is nice, but I'm not a big fan of all sunshine all the time. I traded earthquakes for forest fires and a chance of flooding. I think a move north would mean trading forest fires totally by flooding, with a little snow and volcano eruption from time to time.

Is the solution that we all meet up in Greece? LOLOL

Cheers!
Marganne
I share the morning of February 9, 1971 with you. I was also raised in southern CA (Burbank) and was quite freaked out by the quake. I was also in one in 1952, but I don't remember it since I was only four. In 1978, I moved to Texas and now I'm freaked out about the tornadoes. I will never get used to the horrific storms here with the potential of producing tornadoes. The high winds, hail, torrential downpours, and lightning unnerve me. Along with the horrid heat I want to escape, I also want to escape any state that has really bad tornadoes as Texas does.

From a person living in earthquake country and tornado alley, I will take earthquakes any day. I've never been in a tornado but oh my, the threat of them is here often. They've been near me and around me, but thank God, my home has never been hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement