U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times

Advertisements

That's very interesting, Canine*Castle. When I lived in SF I thought about earthquakes often. Last summer, when I moved to an area that has tornadoes, I felt safer because at least we'd have some warning of a tornado while an earthquake happens with no warning whatsoever.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,136,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm ready for the day I can concentrate on helping out in animals shelters as well as becoming a bird watcher. Ahh, the grand and simple things in life are the best.
I think I've extended in invite to you before but we sure could use you here in Floyd. We don't even have a private shelter (yet - waiting for dogs to come up with winning lottery numbers since there is zero chance of raising enough finds from the community) our HS just does foster cats and dogs in members homes*. The municipal shelter has just 12 dog runs and no facility for cats at all.

What kind of birds do you want to watch? I've got an old barn full of swallows, it's amazing to go down there in the spring and see all the tiny, tiny peeps.

No earthquakes here and we're far enough from the New Madrid Fault to be OK. About once a year the National Weather Service says that conditions are right for a small tornado but have never had one in my five years here.

*ps: we won't make you take home a litter of critters from your very first meeting. No promises after that.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
That's very interesting, Canine*Castle. When I lived in SF I thought about earthquakes often. Last summer, when I moved to an area that has tornadoes, I felt safer because at least we'd have some warning of a tornado while an earthquake happens with no warning whatsoever.
Many do look at it that way. I'd rather not know and let it happen then freak out knowing one was coming or the potential was anyway. I don't know; I'm just that way.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I think I've extended in invite to you before but we sure could use you here in Floyd. We don't even have a private shelter (yet - waiting for dogs to come up with winning lottery numbers since there is zero chance of raising enough finds from the community) our HS just does foster cats and dogs in members homes*. The municipal shelter has just 12 dog runs and no facility for cats at all.

What kind of birds do you want to watch? I've got an old barn full of swallows, it's amazing to go down there in the spring and see all the tiny, tiny peeps.

No earthquakes here and we're far enough from the New Madrid Fault to be OK. About once a year the National Weather Service says that conditions are right for a small tornado but have never had one in my five years here.

*ps: we won't make you take home a litter of critters from your very first meeting. No promises after that.
Yes, you have extended an invitation to me before. I haven't given up on the Floyd area. Maybe one day, that's where I'll end up helping the animals in VA. As far as bird watching goes, I'm not sure yet. I haven't seen too many different birds in my part of Texas, so I'd love to just go out somewhere and discover many different ones. And I haven't started the "real watching" yet. When I retire, all that will change.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,749 times
Hi - I am new to this site and am amazed how many of us there truly are. I am a young 62, divorced, no children and currently live outside of NYC. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out where I want to move. I would also be a single woman moving on her own with my cats. I was looking at Savannah, GA. I am not religious but quite spiritual in a "new age" sort of way. So, I am interested in a city that offers a spiritual community but certainly not tea partyers or conservative right. Does anyone know anything about Savannah? I would be renting, not buying. Any information you can give me I would appreciate. Thanks, Kathy

Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Suggest you post your question on the Georgia forum.
What else interests you about Savannah? A gay women couple I know visit there often and have thought of retiring there, for the cost of living, the weather, and the beauty of the city.
My Chinese acupuncturist's daughter is going to art school there, and feels the art school is creating a sort of "creative class" community there.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,749 times
Default Knoxville?

I've heard the cost of living is lower and Savannah is a cultural area. Since I am open to new places maybe I will look in knoxville, TN - What is is like to live there? Any other ideas because my area is just too expensive.
Thanks, Kathy

Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,589 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayann062 View Post
I've heard the cost of living is lower and Savannah is a cultural area. ...maybe I will look in knoxville, TN - What is is like to live there? ...
basically the same between those cities, each below national average and certainly well below NY
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

This is better detail, and shows Knox @ 4% lower costs (26% lower for me to move to Knox (which I like a lot, just was there in Dec... I'm pack'n , see you there))
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 AM

205 posts, read 359,973 times
Quote:
Hi - I am new to this site and am amazed how many of us there truly are. I am a young 62, divorced, no children and currently live outside of NYC. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out where I want to move. I would also be a single woman moving on her own with my cats. I was looking at Savannah, GA. I am not religious but quite spiritual in a "new age" sort of way. So, I am interested in a city that offers a spiritual community but certainly not tea partyers or conservative right. Does anyone know anything about Savannah? I would be renting, not buying. Any information you can give me I would appreciate. Thanks, Kathy
Welcome to this site - it was invaluable to me a few years ago in my search for where I wanted to be. Found the process to be as much mental as physical. Savannah is wonderful and love the town proper. I would love to live there if I could live "in town" (as I would love to live in Santa Fe "in town"). I guess it all depends on the area you would choose. I agree with your philosophy on the TP'ers and conservatives. But, remember, Savannah is the south and is in Georgia so politically and socially it is going to be very conservative. Far removed from the more progressive north of NYC. Have you also looked at Asheville, NC? It is listed as one of the top retirement areas and has a wonderful art cultural and spiritual area. It is in the mountains and beautiful. I also love the Outer Banks area of NC (on the coast - Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Manteo). OBX (as the outer banks is known) is magical to me. My parents always had a beach house there until they retired to the area full time (both are now deceased - I am your age) and my kids practically grew up there. Another favorite, magical place is Cannon Beach, OR. Very expensive though but a wonderful, wonderful place.

I suggest you pick the areas that really interest you and spend about two weeks in each place. Rent a car (or drive) and just tool around trying to get a feel for the entire area, not just the cool parts.

It will be an adventure and a wonderful journey.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
I've heard the cost of living is lower and Savannah is a cultural area. Since I am open to new places maybe I will look in knoxville, TN - What is is like to live there? Any other ideas because my area is just too expensive.
Thanks, Kathy
Here is what a friend writes about Savannah. I've never been there so don't know how accurate her point of view is.

"The city itself is nice, very commercial but lots to do and great place for art and culture. About 3 to 5 miles to Tybe beach... great beach! Just outside the city is miles of ugly dangerous slums. Also the city can be a bit dangerous at night. Don't go out alone, stay in well lighted places and so on. Has lots of pluses but also some real concerns. Humid beyond endurance in the mid summer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement