U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM

8,140 posts, read 7,645,536 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd drop by say hello and keep ya all up to date.

Relocated to Sarasota Oct 2010, still exploring the area and loving it here. Don't hate me, but I spent the most perfect weekend on the beach and having fun in the ocean.

We've had a bit of a cold spell here and there and I couldn't wait for the Nov-Jan, holiday season to be over, that time was as usual not so great without my sisters and other family. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to get through that time of year. I had some fun times thrown in, but I just dread end of year holiday season. Though New Year's Eve and there after was great.

Thank goodness we're back up into the 70's and 80's temp wise. I am now able to get in more beach days and I am experiencing pure joy. Yep, this, for me was a great place to move to.

Wishing all great happiness in their upcoming moves or just new adventures

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,062,229 times
A very good friend of mine moved to Sarasota when she got remarried...seems like a very nice place. But you really haven't experienced Florida summers yet, right?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
A very good friend of mine moved to Sarasota when she got remarried...seems like a very nice place. But you really haven't experienced Florida summers yet, right?
This is my first time living in Sarasota, not Florida, I lived three years in Kissimmee, three years in Tampa. I'm very familiar to FL summers am looking forward to them.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,751 times
Thanks for the valuable info and especially the downside to Savannah. I am also looking into Delaware and Maryland, but will check out No. Carolina as well. Keep those ideas coming!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
update here as well..................
sitting on the porch, with a view of the atlantic...(well, sort of - don't get to move in until tomorrow)
not the permanent location but a one year experiment of beach living in coastal carolinah
(this time actually ON the coast)
wearing my mad social scientist hat as i concoct but another approach to living in the " here and now" while designing the inevitable "then"

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
update here as well..................
sitting on the porch, with a view of the atlantic...(well, sort of - don't get to move in until tomorrow)
not the permanent location but a one year experiment of beach living in coastal carolinah
(this time actually ON the coast)
wearing my mad social scientist hat as i concoct but another approach to living in the " here and now" while designing the inevitable "then"
MZ, are you in Wilmington?

What's your winter been like?

I have a son in Cary (not near the coast).

Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Default Yes, MsFrog~~~

Where the heck are you - I think I'm jealous

Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Talking Hiya TRosa ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Just thought I'd drop by say hello and keep ya all up to date.

Relocated to Sarasota Oct 2010, still exploring the area and loving it here. Don't hate me, but I spent the most perfect weekend on the beach and having fun in the ocean.

We've had a bit of a cold spell here and there and I couldn't wait for the Nov-Jan, holiday season to be over, that time was as usual not so great without my sisters and other family. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to get through that time of year. I had some fun times thrown in, but I just dread end of year holiday season. Though New Year's Eve and there after was great.

Thank goodness we're back up into the 70's and 80's temp wise. I am now able to get in more beach days and I am experiencing pure joy. Yep, this, for me was a great place to move to.

Wishing all great happiness in their upcoming moves or just new adventures
I see a little light at the end of my relocation tunnel ~~ and it looks like the Venice/Sarasota area of Florida ! Maybe I'll see ya on the beach

Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Hi back at ya CIBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I see a little light at the end of my relocation tunnel ~~ and it looks like the Venice/Sarasota area of Florida ! Maybe I'll see ya on the beach
It will be awesome to have one of the gals so close by. I enjoy the area very much; it has it's faults, no place is perfect, the positives are too many to even bother commenting on the things that could stand improvement. There are enough complainers as it is, don't need my help in that department.

This weekend, just about all the meetup groups I participate in, have some gathering planned around the area I of course am choosing to attend the gathering that centers around the beach. They have the drum circle, I believe you might be familiar with that activity. I just want to enjoy the company of the group, the food we're bringing and the sound of the ocean.

Something I don't talk about much
Let me just say, that not everyday is a perfect day for me, I try to make the very best out of all my good days, because I do have days when I can't get out of bed, no matter how hard I try to will it. Those bad days, I know, will come when I least expect them and I accept that, I let them take their toll and look forward to my days when I have my wits about me and am able to walk and move in comfort and kick (sorta) it up with the best of them. I try not to talk too much about my medical stuff, it's there, it limits me in some ways, (for one, I can no longer drive) but heck, as long as I get to go to the beach, I'm good, I might fall asleep and get disoriented, because of my vertigo, but there's nothing like waking adjusting and running off into the ocean to cool off after a nice nap on the beach.

ConeyIsBabe, I hope you do choose to move to the area, it really would be nice to meet ya and hopefully get to spend some time at the beaches together.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Trosa,
Like you, I do not drive - I'm wondering how Sarasota is for a non-driver, and also how getting to the beach and for example, getting to the drum circle is, by bus, I assume.

I looked into moving to Sarasota a little over a year ago, and looked at apt rental ads and the bus system. I have not been to Sarasota, but I did a lot of research on it using the internet.

I decided not to move to Sarasota for right now, but I'm not ruling it out in the future.

Can you tell me how being a non-driver is in Sarasota? The bus system looks pretty good. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement