U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,058,764 times

Advertisements

Yay Nancy!!! Welcome to the world of the happily retired! The world is now your oyster.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
thank you, molly. (isn't this the greatest thread ???)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Still on my list is learning Spanish by going to Mexico to a immersion school. Someday.

That's a coincidence because I have always wanted to go to Guatemala or Mexico and live and teach in a small village for awhile. I did not really want to join the Peace Corps , though as I am not sure that I could represent the policies of the United States. Maybe there is another organization, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 PM

21 posts, read 54,283 times
Default BIG changes

I can't remember when I last posted and if I mentioned anything about what's been going on. So sorry if this is a repeat.

DancingEarth, I did go to Santa Fe around Memorial Day and decided to apply to Southwestern College's art therapy MA program!! Then I decided I would move back to Santa Fe area whether or not I was accepted, so I rented a little casita in Chupadero, in the woods, with a stream running by, about half an hour from the school.

I'm sure I'll be accepted, I just haven't heard definitely yet.

I then decided to sell my condo here in Tucson. Called a realtor that I had met before and liked and she came to see it and said she might buy it for her daughter!! If that isn't a message that this is the right thing to do.

So I'll be moving to New Mexico around August 1st.

When I was there in May, I looked at beautiful beautiful land in Abiquiu and decided it really is too far. Definitely if I'm going to be in school. Then I met with a woman who is involved with a community called Wits End. They have lovely mountainy land near Madrid, NM and are looking for a few more people for their community which hasnt even been built yet. I liked her, but it didn't feel quite right. But I want to meet with the rest of the people and see what it feels like.

My whole focus just shifted from wanting, now, to work on creating a sustainable, off-the-grid community, to going back to school and probably not being ready to do the community thing for a couple of years.

So I've been incommunicado because I've been so preoccupied with all these decisions. Writing application for school, getting portfolio together, now getting condo read to sell. Starting to pack. Egads!

So DancingEarth, let's get together when I get to Santa Fe! I hope you'll be in your new house by then.

And I'll stay more in touch with this group and if there's a meeting in TorC or elsewhere in the southwest, I'd love to come.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
I then decided to sell my condo here in Tucson. Called a realtor that I had met before and liked and she came to see it and said she might buy it for her daughter!! If that isn't a message that this is the right thing to do.

So I'll be moving to New Mexico around August 1st.
That's great Desert Spirit! Definitely let's get together. The place sounds nice--good for studying. Synchronicity is a wonderful thing.

So far, everyone says July 11 is very possible. I went to the home ownership workshop today that I have to attend to qualify for affordable homes. It was very helpful, especially since I met four people that will be my neighbors and we exchanged phone numbers. The young couple living across from me are setting up a studio in their garage too--she likes to knit and do pottery and is learning to play the violin and he likes to cook. She's interested in starting a knitting group. It's already feeling like a community.

Good luck - let us know when you get accepted.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Congratulations, Nancy on your newfound freedom and to our newest graduate! Be sure to let us know how your new adventure goes. We single women who are still looking forward to that step await the news!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Thanks, tesaje !

Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,920,246 times
Quote:
That's a coincidence because I have always wanted to go to Guatemala or Mexico and live and teach in a small village for awhile. I did not really want to join the Peace Corps , though as I am not sure that I could represent the policies of the United States. Maybe there is another organization, though.
I have heard of organizations where you can do this for a month or longer. IIRC you would have to pay for your flight but you live with a host family and get fed 3 meals a day. You would have to speak spanish though. I am sure there are other orgs out there that do things differently.

I would recommend not going in Sept or Oct which is the peak of hurricane season.

I feel like such a lug compared to you all.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 10,499 times
Hi everyone:
As you can see, I am brand new here, but have been reading this thread with great interest.

Briefly, I am "stuck" here amongst vinyl sided houses in a town in middle TN that I am not at all in love with. Though I am not in the position to be fortunate enough to be retiring, I am 55-yrs-young and slowly working towards figuring out where I'd like to move to for the rest of my life.

Lots to figure out (where or where do I really want to put down roots??) and finances are a bit of a concern at this point. However, I remain optomistic all will fall into place for me at the "right" time.

Glad I found this site and this thread.

Last edited by JustMeCFB; 06-22-2008 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi Everyone! It has been a wild week for me -- my daughter, who is now 18, graduated high school. We spent a few days in San Jose where she will be going to college for International Business and she registered for Fall classes. Since she now has a boyfriend who is Chinese, she signed up to take Mandarin in the Fall! Ah, what young love will do for motivation!

Because I have been so busy, and involved with just trying to get my own things done here, I haven't had time to think so much about "my" space in New Mexico. However, I did have a small contact with a journalist in Las Cruces and she gave me some useful information about spiritual activities there.

I also spent the last two weeks getting brush cleared from my property -- FIVE truck loads!! With it being so dry around here, one must be prepared. So, I've been climbing on rooftops and sweeping and raking, and gathering brush and hauling trash, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention I am working full-time, and I drive my daughter to and from work each day (she doesn't have a license yet). On top of that, my wonderful boss, whom I adore, is retiring this month -- it is so sad for me. We have become friends as well as co-workers. Then my daughter will be going away to college in August, and I just feel like my mind is not settling into an "intuition" groove, so to speak. If I could just tune in, then I know that the serendipity that both DancingEarth and Desert_Spirit talked about will help me. I am frequently "guided" by my gut -- that sounds kind of nasty -- okay, guided by my "inner spirit!"

I was hoping I'd have more intuition about where I am going there, but not yet. Although, I feel that I am eliminating northern California. When I compare the two within myself, New Mexico seems to be whispering to me. When it shouts, then I know it's time to go!!

Nancy, I, too, have thought about going abroad for awhile (it's been a long time since I've been to Europe), and I've only been to the Carribbean and Mexico and Canada in the past decade. I feel a longing to see more foreign places -- but, then again, New Mexico might be that nice combination! And...I finally did sign up for a Spanish class at our local community college for the Fall -- might as well see if I can regain any of my old high school Spanish!

I actually did attend the Peace Corps meetings a few months back and was thinking about going to Mongolia (don't ask me why -- it just sounded appealing!). However, since I am a social worker and tend to get into situations where I am "taking care of" others, I didn't realize consciously at first that this was similar. It was when my boss and I were talking and she wants to do some traveling, so I suggested the Peace Corps. She said she didn't want to have a daily schedule, to have to be at the beck and call of another agency, and that she wanted some free will. Suddenly, I realized that although it's the Peace Corps....it would still be a job!! I would be the one people would turn to! I just want some fun down time! So, now I'm back to refiguring that one out -- maybe a stint for several months elsewhere, or who knows? I'm waiting for my intuition to kick in!!! Anyone see my intuition around???

Sounds like we're starting to get our "messages" from wherever they emanate! Good going, folks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement