Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

No, I am not in fantastic shape at all. Taking city buses does not put one into a good fitness level.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would like to hear the experiences of those who have stopped driving/given up a car and at what age. Was it a cost consideration? (with the gas prices, I'm wondering how retirees are handling it). How are you getting around? Do you feel dependent on friends and family to drive? How do you do grocery shopping, etc? Do you feel liberated or is a real hardship?
I just posted a similar response on another thread but I will address this here too.

I have never driven a car. I have always chosen neighborhoods where I could walk and take public transportation to wherever I needed to go. I rarely ever ask friends to drive me anywhere. I do occasionally take cabs.

I do not feel this is a hardship but for those used to having a car it is a definite change. You have to be there when the bus gets there as opposed to just hopping in a car and going. You have to be willing to put up with a lot of other people sharing the ride. This has never been a problem for me but I know people who refuse to take public transportation because they don't want to sit next to strangers.

You have to accept the fact that it will take longer to get to your destination than driving because the bus stops at every other corner or so to pick up other people. And public transportation may not take you everywhere you want to go.

Having said all that, I have to reiterate that for me, none of this has been a big problem.

Regarding grocery shopping specifically, I live two blocks away from a supermarket. I either shop on my way home if I have been taking the bus which stops right in front of the store or take my "old lady shopping cart" from home and walk up to it. I also take the bus to another supermarket farther away.

You are limited as to where you can live because obviously if you want to live in a secluded wood or mountain you will need a car.

So location has to be planned carefully to make certain that everything is walkable or busable. It isn't difficult, you just have to want to do it.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Newenglandgirl,
Always commuted to work by regular city bus. Used city bus for everything thruout entire life. Still do. Bad weather has no bearing on anything.

I've lived in eight different states - five midwestern and three eastern.
All with city bus systems. Some with additional university bus systems.

When I become more aged in my 70's or 80's, I will use special bus services for seniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just posted a similar response on another thread but I will address this here too.

I have never driven a car. I have always chosen neighborhoods where I could walk and take public transportation to wherever I needed to go. I rarely ever ask friends to drive me anywhere. I do occasionally take cabs.

I do not feel this is a hardship but for those used to having a car it is a definite change. You have to be there when the bus gets there as opposed to just hopping in a car and going. You have to be willing to put up with a lot of other people sharing the ride. This has never been a problem for me but I know people who refuse to take public transportation because they don't want to sit next to strangers.

You have to accept the fact that it will take longer to get to your destination than driving because the bus stops at every other corner or so to pick up other people. And public transportation may not take you everywhere you want to go.

Having said all that, I have to reiterate that for me, none of this has been a big problem.

Regarding grocery shopping specifically, I live two blocks away from a supermarket. I either shop on my way home if I have been taking the bus which stops right in front of the store or take my "old lady shopping cart" from home and walk up to it. I also take the bus to another supermarket farther away.

You are limited as to where you can live because obviously if you want to live in a secluded wood or mountain you will need a car.

So location has to be planned carefully to make certain that everything is walkable or busable. It isn't difficult, you just have to want to do it.

Great postings ladies, made me remember that I actually didn't start to drive till I was forced to when I moved to NJ and was in an area that didn't have a such a great transit system as many of my former living locations. I for one would have been happy to never have become a driver back then. I was quite accustomed to doing everything I needed to do using mass transit. up till age 25.

It's amazing how much things had changed once I started driving, just going around the corner, I had to jump in the car to get there, even going to visit a friend on the other side of a complex we would drive. I never thought I would go back to using mass transit. Driving got too much into my blood. But once you start using the transit system again, you adapt and of course if you can't get to the bus stops, they have services that come to your door.

Like, Minervah, said, you have to want it bad enough. Where there's a will there's usually a way. I will add, many of the areas I've lived in for the past 30 years, more that a few people tend to look down on those that use public transit. Seems to be this misinformation that if one doesn't drive it equates to them being less than or something. It would be funny if I didn't run into this so often. I say shame on them, especially the ones that are so concerned with being green, enviormentally kind and then jump into the biggest gas guzzlers you've ever seen.

The good thing about where I am, they are putting in more bike lanes and you do see more seniors starting make use of the buses. A lot of people are wising up to taking the bus to the beaches to avoid not even being able to get a parking space and grid lock when trying to leave. I took the bus to the beach and made the mistake of accepting a ride home on the way back from one my group members, we could have ended up stuck in line trying to get out for a good hour. Miss lady dangerously cut through where she wasn't supposed to and got us out of there in 20 minutes instead and hour. I was happy and scared for my life and worried about her being ticketed all at the same time.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Like, Minervah, said, you have to want it bad enough. Where there's a will there's usually a way. I will add, many of the areas I've lived in for the past 30 years, more that a few people tend to look down on those that use public transit. Seems to be this misinformation that if one doesn't drive it equates to them being less than or something. It would be funny if I didn't run into this so often. I say shame on them, especially the ones that are so concerned with being green, enviormentally kind and then jump into the biggest gas guzzlers you've ever seen.
Very true! I didn't get that so much when I lived in Chicago but when I moved to Portland some people thought I was handicapped in some way because I didn't drive. As a matter of fact, someone on the Portland forum on City Data commented that only "losers" and "poor people" rode public transportation.

I have also had people "jokingly" tell me they were afraid I was going to take advantage of them by asking them for rides.

But that's their problem. I'll keep my buses.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Very true! I didn't get that so much when I lived in Chicago but when I moved to Portland some people thought I was handicapped in some way because I didn't drive. As a matter of fact, someone on the Portland forum on City Data commented that only "losers" and "poor people" rode public transportation.

I have also had people "jokingly" tell me they were afraid I was going to take advantage of them by asking them for rides.

Yep, I've seen that kind of comment, (what I bolded), posted in a few city-data forums, Sarasota and Tampa comes to mind. Try telling someone in those forums you don't have a car. I dare ya to go ask what they think of someone moving there who doesn't drive. WINNING! I mean LOSER! Their thoughts not mine of course.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
No, I am not in fantastic shape at all. Taking city buses does not put one into a good fitness level.
But you've gotta walk or walk-run or run to catch the bus!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The good thing about where I am, they are putting in more bike lanes and you do see more seniors starting make use of the buses. A lot of people are wising up to taking the bus to the beaches to avoid not even being able to get a parking space and grid lock when trying to leave. I took the bus to the beach and made the mistake of accepting a ride home on the way back from one my group members, we could have ended up stuck in line trying to get out for a good hour. Miss lady dangerously cut through where she wasn't supposed to and got us out of there in 20 minutes instead and hour. I was happy and scared for my life and worried about her being ticketed all at the same time.
This would make a great "senior novel" if you can come up with a neat story line

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Where I am you see some business folks with briefcases and professors on the buses. Mostly students though. I feel young when I ride with them. Just wish I could bring my dog along, as we often walk on campuses together but I have to drive there with her

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Yep, I've seen that kind of comment, (what I bolded), posted in a few city-data forums, Sarasota and Tampa comes to mind. Try telling someone in those forums you don't have a car. I dare ya to go ask what they think of someone moving there who doesn't drive. WINNING! I mean LOSER! Their thoughts not mine of course.
Well nowadays we could say something like "Yes, I gave up my car, it was such in the dinosaur age. I love the new trend of busing around. Look at my designer 'bus bag,' isn't it cool?"

(now one of us has to design for us all some cool very big very colorful/patterned biodegradable bag that looks like vinyl or cellophane....)

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where I am you see some business folks with briefcases and professors on the buses. Mostly students though. I feel young when I ride with them. Just wish I could bring my dog along, as we often walk on campuses together but I have to drive there with her
It's funny you mention about the dog, I have a wheeled pet backpack that I carried a friend's yorkshire-terrier in when I rode the bus a couple of times. I won't be doing that again, but it was interesting traveling with Finchie on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement