U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times
Reputation: 6931

Advertisements

Pic of pooch I've carried in bag and some pics from the drum circle event I went to with my fab women over 40 meetup group.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-finchie-again.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-drum-circle-nora-rosa-alyce-march   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-drum-circle-rosa-friends-march-2011.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-drum-circle-rosa-friends3-march-2011.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-drum-circle-rosa-friends2-march-2011.jpg  


 
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,607,366 times
Reputation: 1230
Default TRosa ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Pic of pooch I've carried in bag and some pics from the drum circle event I went to with my fab women over 40 meetup group.
That really looks like fun ~ wish I was there THANKS for sharing
 
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
 
79 posts, read 100,569 times
Reputation: 101
I've been reading about the ITN Charleston Trident transportation option in Charleston, SC. It makes so much sense to me. It's a simple concept, and could be implemented in any city or community. They have 24/7 automobile transportation to anywhere you need it for Seniors and people who are visually impaired. It's set up as an account, where you can build up your personal account while still driving, by driving other Seniors. Then when you are ready to give up driving, you can use what you've built up in your account. You can also donate your car to Trident and receive payment in the form of points into your personal account toward future rides. I can see myself doing this. It would be a way of meeting other people, giving back, and knowing that I could continue to be part of it as a future rider. My 1998 car still works great, but is getting up there in years and I've been wondering what I would do with it. I don't know if Charleston is where I will wind up, but I like some of the things I'm reading about it--near the ocean, great culture, music, art gallerys, low cost housing, suburbs in all directions with festivals, etc. The area I like the looks of is next to a small university, lots of medical facilities, banking, restaurants, etc, and is full of trees, azaleas and lots of flowers.

The older I get, the more I like living in warm weather areas. Charleston has a huge influx of people from out of state, especially NY. It has more of a European flavor than any other US city I've seen. Yes, hurricanes hit the shores of downtown Charleston, but with public transportation, including express buses, park and rides, etc., you can really live anywhere and still get the benefit of the downtown flavor. For 60 cents one way, a Senior can ride the express bus downtown. That beats the cost of a car, and you don't have to worry about where to park. You can rent downtown too, for a reasonable price. I still like a bit of green around me and would prefer living about 20 minutes from downtown, 15 minutes from the international airport, and 25 minutes from Hilton Head and several other beaches. I don't know if there are buses to the beaches. Still need to check that out. Actually, beaches aren't a priority for me, but I know they would be a big hit with my family for visits.

Last edited by frazl; 03-23-2011 at 08:39 PM..
 
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Reputation: 7121
Hey ladies, I'm just checking in...haven't posted in awhile. Nice to see some new faces (I mean names, ha ha) on the board. Just as background, I'm 61, a Phila.-area native who lived in So. CA for two years (99-01) and was thinking about moving back there. However, it was too big/overwhelming a move, so I bought a small house outside Philly with a yard for my two dogs. I've been here 8 mos. and am still trying to find the energy to complete the kitchen and bath renovation. (I have physical issues.) We had another rotten winter (after last year's blizzard-fest)....this year it wasn't blizzards, but it snowed just about every week. Now that I own a home, I'm responsible for shoveling. Luckily, my 31-year-old son helped me (somewhat, when he was able to rouse himself from his beauty sleep). I'm not thrilled with the neighbors (remember they complained about my dogs barking), so I've stayed to myself. Not looking to get too close to neighbors anyway. Even though I said I'd never move again, I've already fantasized about where I'd go next. Like, maybe CA when I'm 65. I don't know who I'm kidding, I'll never be able to afford that. But I am quite the rolling stone, having moved 8 times in 20 years. For me, the grass is always greener somewhere else.

TRosa, I'll be in your neck of the woods visiting my Mom in Bradenton in a few weeks. Looking forward to the warm weather! Glad you are liking your new location.
 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
 
433 posts, read 991,641 times
Reputation: 389
It's good to see you, Avalon08. Sorry you've had to shovel. The HOA here takes care of snow removal, fortunately for me. The little shoveling/sweeping I've done of the front steps and the deck is enough to wear me out! Let's hope winter is finally over.

There are parts of California that aren't as expensive as the coastal areas. Who knows, maybe you'll find the perfect house out there some day!
 
Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hey ladies, I'm just checking in...haven't posted in awhile. Nice to see some new faces (I mean names, ha ha) on the board. Just as background, I'm 61, a Phila.-area native who lived in So. CA for two years (99-01) and was thinking about moving back there. However, it was too big/overwhelming a move, so I bought a small house outside Philly with a yard for my two dogs. I've been here 8 mos. and am still trying to find the energy to complete the kitchen and bath renovation. (I have physical issues.) We had another rotten winter (after last year's blizzard-fest)....this year it wasn't blizzards, but it snowed just about every week. Now that I own a home, I'm responsible for shoveling. Luckily, my 31-year-old son helped me (somewhat, when he was able to rouse himself from his beauty sleep). I'm not thrilled with the neighbors (remember they complained about my dogs barking), so I've stayed to myself. Not looking to get too close to neighbors anyway. Even though I said I'd never move again, I've already fantasized about where I'd go next. Like, maybe CA when I'm 65. I don't know who I'm kidding, I'll never be able to afford that. But I am quite the rolling stone, having moved 8 times in 20 years. For me, the grass is always greener somewhere else.

TRosa, I'll be in your neck of the woods visiting my Mom in Bradenton in a few weeks. Looking forward to the warm weather! Glad you are liking your new location.
Thank you. I hope you will enjoy your time in Bradenton visiting with your mom. So far the weather has been great, even the ocean water tempeture was much more inviting, today, than what it was just a week ago. I'm hoping I misunderstood the weather report for the week, it sounded as if rain was forcasted for the entire week. I'll try not to be selfish, we need the rain to protect the crops and plant life. I'm sure, I'll still get in pleanty of swim days soon enough, once the storms pass.
 
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Reputation: 7121
Oh man, I will be furious if I get bad weather the week I'm down. I was down there for the month of Jan. last year and it was freezing...or cloudy. I was glad I didn't do that again this year, since again it was a cold winter. Hope the rain is out of the way by then.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: not where you are
8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times
Reputation: 6931
I hope for great weather, when you visit as well, most of the time you'll just get a short storm and the sun will be right back out in full blast, but there are those days, especially early spring, when April showers brings May's flowers We had a really loud, lightning, storm in my area last night and lots of clouds and rain this morning, but the sun is shining at the moment.

One of the reason's I rushed out to the beach Sunday, was because I had heard the rains were coming. I figured, I wanted to get at least one beach day in for the week. Next Sunday, one of my groups has a sand castle building/picknic day outing planned for the day, I'm hopping we won't get rained out.

As I'm typing this, the sun is shinning brighter and brighter. it might be a tease, but if not, I'll be heading to the beach this afternoon.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM
 
Location: zippidy doo dah
895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
I've been reading about the ITN Charleston Trident transportation option in Charleston, SC. It makes so much sense to me. It's a simple concept, and could be implemented in any city or community. They have 24/7 automobile transportation to anywhere you need it for Seniors and people who are visually impaired. It's set up as an account, where you can build up your personal account while still driving, by driving other Seniors. Then when you are ready to give up driving, you can use what you've built up in your account. You can also donate your car to Trident and receive payment in the form of points into your personal account toward future rides. I can see myself doing this. It would be a way of meeting other people, giving back, and knowing that I could continue to be part of it as a future rider. My 1998 car still works great, but is getting up there in years and I've been wondering what I would do with it. I don't know if Charleston is where I will wind up, but I like some of the things I'm reading about it--near the ocean, great culture, music, art gallerys, low cost housing, suburbs in all directions with festivals, etc. The area I like the looks of is next to a small university, lots of medical facilities, banking, restaurants, etc, and is full of trees, azaleas and lots of flowers.

, I get, the more I like living in warm weather areas. Charleston has a huge influx of people from out of state, especially NY. It has more of a European flavor than any other US city I've seen. Yes, hurricanes hit the shores of downtown Charleston, but with public transportation, including express buses, park and rides, etc., you can really live anywhere and still get the benefit of the downtown flavor. For 60 cents one way, a Senior can ride the express bus downtown. That beats the cost of a car, and you don't have to worry about where to park. You can rent downtown too, for a reasonable price. I still like a bit of green around me and would prefer living about 20 minutes from downtown, 15 minutes from the international airport, and 25 minutes from Hilton Head and several other beaches. I don't know if there are buses to the beaches. Still need to check that out. Actually, beaches aren't a priority for me, but I know they would be a big hit with my family for visits.
Fascinated by this concept on the banking driving hours for the future. Thanks for sharing this! Points once again that we may need to be the pioneers in whatever community we land in and "invent" (well, maybe borrow,steal,plaguerize,canibalize) these grass-roots solutions of inter-dependency. Spelling mistakes on last two words in parenthesis absolutely intentional to make it clear that i really don't know how to plaguerize or canibalize cuz if i did, i would know how to spell them. yeah sure....................
 
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times
Reputation: 6931
I'm beginning to understand why one of my fav people stopped posting. I know they had a stalker on the boards. Have any of you had people that make up phony profiles then follow you around and pose questions in other areas of cd forums to get info from you? I'm just curious, if others here have experienced this here, since it started when I began posting in this thread and now seems to follow me outside of this area and the retirement threads of cd. It's really kind of sad. To the phantom, I'm sorry your life is so unfulfilling that you must try to ripple others, I honestly hope you find some joy soon. Maybe you need to get oiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top