Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times

Advertisements

Umbria, I spent a wonderful summer between my junior and senior year in college, working at the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum! I lived in Jonathan, MN! Good memories of that area - the many lakes, nice people, polka fests, Chaska, Grand Rapids, MN, apple pie with cinnamon ice cream........ but I digress....

Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Glad you enjoyed it - our summers are usually great. I'm ready to leave here - really need a change. I have that "in a rut" feeling.

My mission when I go out to CO is to get a better feel for the Ft Collins/Loveland area and Co Springs so when I eventually () move I'll know at least which direction to send my stuff.

Tesaje will have a family reunion to go to and then some playing around in the mtns with her brother - doesn't that sound fun!!

Think about it. No definite dates yet. I'm starving - off to make chicken!!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 PM

28 posts, read 67,268 times
Hi all...
Just dropping by this lovely thread to read about all your ideas of wonderful retirement areas.

I too am looking.....too long a story for here and now, but sort of forced into looking as circumstances (think evil ex and crooked judge) have resulted in my losing the 'dream' home I spent 5 years of my life building in the high country of Colorado.

Because of reasons like no state taxes, 100% homestead exemption of home proceeds and Florida friends and Disney World and the best reason: super low prices on houses, I see central florida in my future. But I can think of many reasons for Puerto Vallarta too. Just have to figure out how to afford my summers here.....not into Floriday or PV summers!!!!!!

Will come back soon and read all the old posts....started in 2007,so I imagine some of you have already relocated and have great stories, experiences to share.

CB

Old 04-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Belle View Post
Hi all...
Just dropping by this lovely thread to read about all your ideas of wonderful retirement areas.

I too am looking.....too long a story for here and now, but sort of forced into looking as circumstances (think evil ex and crooked judge) have resulted in my losing the 'dream' home I spent 5 years of my life building in the high country of Colorado.

Because of reasons like no state taxes, 100% homestead exemption of home proceeds and Florida friends and Disney World and the best reason: super low prices on houses, I see central florida in my future. But I can think of many reasons for Puerto Vallarta too. Just have to figure out how to afford my summers here.....not into Floriday or PV summers!!!!!!

Will come back soon and read all the old posts....started in 2007,so I imagine some of you have already relocated and have great stories, experiences to share.

CB
Welcome!! If you do visit Florida, might put Mt. Dora on your list...

Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,916 times
Good luck, ConeyIsBabe! You have difficult decisions to make.

And good luck to you, Popcorn. I hear you about hurricanes.

Welcome, Colorado Belle.

When I moved 1500 miles last August I swore it would be my last move. Like ConeyIsBabe, I barely had the mental and physical energy to complete the project. And yet here I am, deep into another cross-country move because the first location is wrong for me. This move so far is easier than the one last summer because I know how to do it, what to watch out for, etc. I'm tired at the end of each day, but I'm sleeping so soundly I barely change position in the night. And you know what? If this new city doesn't work out after a year or so, I'm going back to Northern California. I think I have one more move in me after this current one.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
It was interesting hanging out on this thread for a couple of years knowing that the time would come when I had to make the decision to relocate "alone" and where it would be

The time has come to face my reality ~~ to downsize, to sell the property, to relocate alone ~~ but where Florida still is my first option but California Dreamin' is still my favorite

It doesn't get any easier the older we get
Surely you can find an inexpensive place to move to in California ? I hate to see you give up on your California Dreamin'... there has to be a way.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM

28 posts, read 67,268 times
(thank you for the nice welcome to this thread) and let me jump on in re retiring in California: I have a daughter who went to santa barbara for college and never came back. She's soon to be engaged and both are working in SB; so moving farther away than I am now is definitely a negative when it comes to planning for future grandbabies!

Without knowing the full sitch re California Dreaming, I feel California isn't a particularly good state retirement wise if you have to budget and want to buy a home. (Renting in California is doable, but I think home ownership if you are talking near the beach, is difficult if retired. But then, if it's been a dream, then I say go for it for a year, rent a foreclosure (if you get a lease the new owners can't throw you out) and see what you think!

Re Florida: although I would love the nonstop activities (think The Villages), I just can't wrap my head around 'retirement communities'. I'm too spoiled and if I lived near a beach, I'd have to have a beach view....and that isn't happening even at 50% discount prices these days. So then I thought, I have so many cyber friends who have become real life friends through a Disney forum and we all meet up in Disney World at least once a year...So maybe live near Disney and then can go and play when my DVC friends come on vacation. BUT then there's the kid living all the way cross coun try. She and bf ski so living in ski country was a definite draw for visits. I don't think Florida holds much charm for them visiting me there and cross country flights are a lot longer than the 2 hours from Denver to SB.

So, long/long.....I'm starting to read this thread to find alternatives. I'll throw out St. Augustine as a Florida location for those of you thinking of heading south. College town and lots of history!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
I do have a question for those of you in Florida who own a home. I've heard that the homeowners insurance if very high because of the hurricanes. I would love to consider Florida but don't know if I can afford homeowners/hurricane insurance plus the real estate taxes. I moved from NY/CT to TN and sure do miss the ocean & seafood!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 AM

I live in Dade county, bought my 1345 sq. ft house in 1993 (built in 1956) and pay ~ $3,100.00 this year for homeowners insurance. My property tax is ~ $1,200.00

Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I live in Dade county, bought my 1345 sq. ft house in 1993 (built in 1956) and pay ~ $3,100.00 this year for homeowners insurance. My property tax is ~ $1,200.00

Holy Moley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement