U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times

Advertisements

Interesting comparing Florida to California ~ as both states have their pros and cons. As I've said previously, I've lived in Miami-Dade County for over 30 years and am familiar with all the cons.... mostly cons.... and can't think of any pros except my daughter still has roots in Florida.

When I sold my Coral Gables home in '05 my property tax was around $2,800 per year, and the insurance was around the same price. After the sale, the property tax jumped up to a whopping $13,000 ! The buyer was in the real estate profession, and I would have thought he would know that

California Dreamin' ~~ my problem is that I have expensive taste on a fixed middle-class income. La Jolla? Santa Barbara? Santa Monica? I want to be within a couple of miles from the ocean. I want to live where there are no harsh winters. I would probably be a renter at least for the first year

And a huge financial stumbling block is exploring these options before even making the move It's not easy, especially doing it alone

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,805,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I live in Dade county, bought my 1345 sq. ft house in 1993 (built in 1956) and pay ~ $3,100.00 this year for homeowners insurance. My property tax is ~ $1,200.00
Thanks for the info. I can officially say FL is too expensive for my pocketbook.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
I agree, it's very expensive to be visiting each of the places (about 4 of them) I'm considering retiring. And everytime I cross one off my list, another location pops up that appeals to me. I have about 2+ years to go (at least that the plan) and there's no way I can afford to visit each one. So I guess I'll need to whittle down the list somehow and keep visiting C-D Forums.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I agree, it's very expensive to be visiting each of the places (about 4 of them) I'm considering retiring. .... there's no way I can afford to visit each one. So I guess I'll need to whittle down the list somehow and keep visiting C-D Forums.
Whittle the list to 2 trips per yr.

$89 SWA one way ticket, $12/ day priceline rental car, and $10 / night guest homes. Makes it just about as cheap to travel as to stay home. (I'm currently in Madison, enjoying a snowy spring week (had a snowy week in WA last week...)) I Will take a trip per month for the next 6. Already booked and paid for except the guest homes, I pay those with cash or free labor. I eat fresh fruit and $.30 yogurt and can easily get by on $3/day for food. The Guest homes offer at least one free meal / day.

CIB- I would look to Santa Barbara or LaJolla, I prefer the smaller communities a bit away from the crowds (tho CA is pretty crowded alone the warm part of the coast.) If you stay away from the college rental areas, you might find something cheap enough to live in. Personally, I will try to keep an income real estate place rented out in a solid market (in a tax free state) that will hopefully give me an inflation protected income stream to let me live wherever I can afford to rent. I hope to never own another primary residence, tho if it is a place that can gain value I wouldn't mind that $250k tax free income on capital gains every two yrs... beats working

Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 AM

28 posts, read 58,020 times
Stealth, what are these guest homes of which you speak?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM

16 posts, read 30,787 times
Default New to this thread....

[SIZE=3]Hi ladies. I found this thread a few months ago, when it became clear that I would either be laid off or would have to quit my job because the situation had become untenable and I started looking for info about how other women had handled the prospect of retiring alone to a new place. Iíve been a lurker since then, trying to get up to speed and absorb as much of your wisdom as possible. Iíve been greatly inspired by the women on this thread who have shared their adventures and their courage. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hereís my situation: I live in Northern New Jersey and was laid off from my job in November. I always said that this area was too cold and too expensive Ė the taxes on my townhouse are over $9000. and my HOA fees are $400 a month, with additional assessments every few years for unscheduled improvements. It was affordable when I was working and making enough to support living here, but not any longer and, at 65, itís not easy to find a job that pays well, as most employers seem to want younger workers who are just starting out and are willing to earn less. Like many of you, Iíve been agonizing over where to move. One child is in the Atlanta area, the other is in CA. Iíve figured out that I donít want to be in the desert, need to be near the beach, and donít want to deal with the cold NE winters anymore. I want to relocate to an area that has a diverse population, is close to a sizeable city with educational opportunities Ė although I donít have to live in the city Ė and is culturally stimulating, offering a variety of interesting activities. Florida sounds good, and I spent a couple of weeks there this winter, looking at various places. I liked both Sarasota and Delray Beach, as both seem to offer the things Iím interested in and have plenty of relocated northerners, but Iím worried about the hot, humid summers. Of course, the weather in CA is glorious, but living near the beach is unaffordable, except in some of the more remote areas of the state, but that would leave me far away from my daughter and grandchildren in GA. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]There is a contract on my house now and Iím waiting to hear the results of the home inspection and the assessment, two critical factors. Once the sale goes through, Iím thinking of renting here, in NJ, for a few months, then, once Iím ready to take the plunge, putting my furniture in storage and renting in FL for a few months, to check out the areas and figure out what works best for me. At first, I thought I would put my belongings in storage after my townhouse sold and move to FL, but Iím just not ready for that yet. Iím finding the adjustment to all of these changes to be difficult and Iím not yet ready to leave my friends and the area Iíve lived in for the past 30+ years. I would love to hear your thoughts and any info about resources in either the Sarasota or Delray Beach areas.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM

16 posts, read 30,787 times
Sorry for all the extra symbols that came up on my posting.... I wrote it in Word first, so that I could save and edit my thoughts, before copying and pasting my posting into the thread. I'm guessing that's what caused the problem.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 AM

433 posts, read 991,850 times
Hi, njdreamer! The symbols are no problem, but I usually write in Windows Notepad first because it is plain text.

Congratulations on selling your house! I hope the inspection and appraisal go through with no problems.

$9000 taxes?!! That's shocking.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times
Default njdreamer ~~~

I'm in the same boat as you, except my house isn't on the market yet, as it is daunting to leave one's familiar surroundings, friends, services, etc. and start all over again making new friends, learning the layout of a new city, etc.

Sarasota FL was at the top of my relocation list, but the recent murders there made me aware of some undesirable activity going on in the area, and I just don't want to live in communities with gangs and violent crimes, as I do have many other choices

I'll probably visit this summer to check-out Venice, Naples, Stuart, Ormond Beach, ~~ if I can muster up the energy to do it all

Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, except my house isn't on the market yet, as it is daunting to leave one's familiar surroundings, friends, services, etc. and start all over again making new friends, learning the layout of a new city, etc.

Sarasota FL was at the top of my relocation list, but the recent murders there made me aware of some undesirable activity going on in the area, and I just don't want to live in communities with gangs and violent crimes, as I do have many other choices

I'll probably visit this summer to check-out Venice, Naples, Stuart, Ormond Beach, ~~ if I can muster up the energy to do it all
Have you considered some of the little towns in the Panhandle? I stayed a couple days last summer in Port St. Joe. It has a beautiful beach, wonderful parks, neat little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement