U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,963,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I live in Florida. Another poster was correct. If you live near the ocean, your premiums are much higher. However, I live within a few miles of the ocean. My insurance for an inexpensive 1000 sq. ft. home was around $1,200 a year, but they kept canceling my policy after the first year, as it is an older house built in the 70,s. So this year, I said enough, and just bought a liability and fire policy for $600 a year., and decided to take my chances with hurricanes. Hope I don't regret it someday.
My house is 12 miles inland - nowhere near the water. Those who still have a mortgage must carry the windstorm insurance

Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM

1,983 posts, read 4,632,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
TRosa, Anyone who stalks a womens' retirement forum online is probably trolling for potential targets for con artistry. Unfortunately, women of a certain age are considered fair game by some unsavory types like the stalker.
On another note, I posted back in 2009 regarding facing losing my federal job and having to take early retirement. As it turned out, I have been gainfully employed by another federal agency and am living and working overseas in Europe. In one and 1/2 years, I will be able to retire with my full pension and am planning to return to the U.S. My 3 grown children live on the East coast but I last lived in Northern CA. and really miss it. The upshot of this is that I would like to buy an RV and travel around for a year looking for my perfect spot. Chances are, I will be doing half-time in the East and the other in the West IF I can afford it. Also, Europe has some great retirement possibilities that are "affordable" depending on your situation. But for me, being so far from my friends and family is difficult.
Please elaborate on where the great retirement possibilities are in Europe. My understanding is that a US citizen can only stay in an EU country for 3 months on a tourist visa and that retirement visas are non-existent in the EU. How could someone retire full time to Europe on a modest budget as a US citizen? And if this is possible, which countries and cities are you referring to? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,044,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
My understanding is that a US citizen can only stay in an EU country for 3 months on a tourist visa and that retirement visas are non-existent in the EU. How could someone retire full time to Europe on a modest budget as a US citizen? And if this is possible, which countries and cities are you referring to? Thanks.
It is possible, and maybe not too hard, for retired Americans to get resident visas for EU countries. These may range from one year renewable, to five years or more. You have to look at the consulate sites for your country of interest and see what they say, or get onto the expat boards and see what people say there.

I'm still hoping the person who posted about retirement places in Europe will come back and post more in response to our questions.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 AM

1,983 posts, read 4,632,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It is possible, and maybe not too hard, for retired Americans to get resident visas for EU countries. These may range from one year renewable, to five years or more. You have to look at the consulate sites for your country of interest and see what they say, or get onto the expat boards and see what people say there.

I'm still hoping the person who posted about retirement places in Europe will come back and post more in response to our questions.
I hope Arabian returns to answer these questions also. I have looked at various EU countries re: a US citizen getting a retirement visa and none of these visas exist to my knowledge. Getting a residency visa in an EU country requires showing a lot of money in the bank, or a lot of money being deposited monthly into one's bank account, as I recall. I haven't checked lately, but some EU consulate websites don't list an exact amount of money needed, and it becomes a moving target (in Italy, for example).

You also have to be self-sufficient in terms of health insurance living in an EU country. (Medicare doesn't cover international health care costs.) Finding private health insurance to cover you as a US citizen in an EU country after age 60 is difficult and very expensive. I've checked some international policies online. And I regularly visit expatforum.com. Again, I'd be interested in hearing from Arabian re: more details from their experience or knowledge.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

You also have to be self-sufficient in terms of health insurance living in an EU country. (Medicare doesn't cover international health care costs.) Finding private health insurance to cover you as a US citizen in an EU country after age 60 is difficult and very expensive. I've checked some international policies online.
Have you looked at the AARO site for overseas Americans? They offer health insurance and have all the prices and coverage spelled out on their website. I would go for that one, in France anyway.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,881 times
Default where have these baby-boomers gone? pls. tell: lavon.taback@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
A local Red Hat Society club would be a good place to start meeting other women in their late 50s. I was involved in one for awhile but got tired of it. It was a good way to meet 50+ women, though.
Churches, at least in the South, are also very good. I use the term "church" loosely. We have everything in Knoxville from the big Baptist churches to Jewish Temples, Seventh Day Adventists, Wiccans and Pagans (large group!), Korean, Quakers, Mennonites, etc. All are very active in the community. People are respectful of others beliefs.
Libraries are good, too. So are classes in things like quilting, pottery throwing, etc.
I've read somewhere about commune-type living arrangements being designed for aging baby-boomers, where everyone has their own house/apartment but shares meals and chores.
where have the baby boomers moved to in this communal setting? Any info you have is appreciated! thanks, lavon age 57 - soon to be single on a limited budget.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,881 times
here's to Windwalker 2 also Arabian -- about the location in the south of France you had mentioned. Go to SFGate.com and enter the name of the town -- or even "South of France" - an article was written recently about the benefits of retiring there. It is close to Spain and is a kind of hybrid community in Southern Europe. I am interested in going there as well! all best, lavon

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisparis View Post
here's to Windwalker 2 also Arabian -- about the location in the south of France you had mentioned. Go to SFGate.com and enter the name of the town -- or even "South of France" - an article was written recently about the benefits of retiring there. It is close to Spain and is a kind of hybrid community in Southern Europe. I am interested in going there as well! all best, lavon
Could you give us a link, or an approximate date? Nothing I searched on produced an article like this.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,565,072 times
I have read that a few of you ladies have addressed issues with driving. I am a male and I am in my sixties. I stopped driving on the highways many years ago, mainly because I do not like the speed and I am never in any hurry to get anywhere. I no longer work because of a disability, so I do not have a need to drive everyday. In the past years, I have been driving about 2500 miles a year, as I do not go on trips and get all my services around where I live. I strongly admire those who have always lived withoug a car.

I live in one of the nearest suburbs to Denver. Denver has a great public transit system with excellent bus service and a growing rail system http://www.rtd-denver.com/index.shtml I live about 1/3 mile from a major bus route which is in front of the King Soopers (Krogers) Grocery in my neigborhood. My neighborhood is very walkable with good services, ACE hardware, Walgreens, A movie Theatre, Banks, Auto Repair, Restaurants etc.--so it is all convenient to walk from my house. However, unfortunately, my physical condition has gotten much worse and I can no longer walk without a cane or my rollator/walker and only for short distances.

Because my disability is bad enough that I cannot always get to a bus stop, I qualify for the disabled bus van with pick up/return with day before reservation. It cost $4.50 each way. In addition, I am given a free pass for use on all buses and rail. This is done because it is known that people, who are disabled, sometimes have better days and can use a bus/rail without assistance, depending on destination, bus stop and weather. This puts less demand up the disabled van and is much cheaper. All buses and rail are equipped with wheelchair lifts or ramps. RTD also gives me a discount on cab fare for immediate occasional small trips.

Denver is a good place to live if you are disabled and being elderly may qualify as a disability, if you have difficulty walking. The qualifications are stringent and require a interview and testing at the March of Dimes, which is the evaluator for the Regional Transportation District (RTD) in Denver.

An important point to note is one must live with 3/4 miles of a regularly scheduled bus to receive service. This is a federal regulation for these paratransit services which get federal monies http://www.rtd-denver.com/accessARide.shtml (broken link) This is an important issue to plan when you are not able to drive. I understand that this regulation is applied by most public transit agencies all over the country. Many people, who have suddenly had problems in their families, have been stunned that they cannot have use of the disabled van to their house because they live out in far flung developments.

I am fortunate where I live because there will be a rail station built at 1/3 mile from my house on a new commuter rail line. RTD is investing heavily in adding to public transit under the Fastracks project, which is one of the largest public transit expansion in the nation What is FasTracks? In addition, I live about 1.4 miles from a new Super Walmart, on the bus route, which gives me close access to all the shopping, I usually need. When, the day comes when I cannot no longer drive, I think I can get around.

As others have said, it is important to plan for the day when you will not be able to drive. You have to pick your neighborhood that has good services and good public transit.

My father who will be 90 this year, stopped driving last year and gave me his car. Now, I have two old cars with very low mileage. I prefer, eventually, to be able not to drive, at all. However, my father does not live on a bus route but close enough for disabled service and I need a car to help him in his house.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-06-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
LiveContent, a very timely post, above. I have mobility problems--some days it is much much worse, and some days not so bad, but never "good." Some days I can walk 1/3 to 1/2 mile, others I have to completely stay off my feet. I am thrilled to have found a house in a small college town about 1/2 hour from my current house (I believe it just sold) where there is a bus stop at the end of my street and a senior center with senior van that will come if I need it. Do I look elderly?? I don't think so, so I'll have to show an ID for services. Finding this house in this town is a real blessing because I can foresee the day when I will not be driving. I intend to do a car share until then, as I only need a car maybe twice a week. I'm not sure if my "sharer" has to have driving insurance, will find out. Gas is very close to $4/gal here and that is a major reason for my move to this particular place. Supermarket, dentist, dog hospital, senior ctr, gas station, hair salon, library all around the corner (walkable on my better days). About one mile away is a college campus, movie theatre, bookshop, deli, p.o., and other shops. The only thing is that the property taxes are higher in that town, the only downside to the move! Your point about planning ahead (the years zip by fast) in terms of getting around in older age is very well taken, and you have influenced my decision to move to this particular place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement