U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Reputation: 4238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Still on my list is learning Spanish by going to Mexico to a immersion school. Someday.

That's a coincidence because I have always wanted to go to Guatemala or Mexico and live and teach in a small village for awhile. I did not really want to join the Peace Corps , though as I am not sure that I could represent the policies of the United States. Maybe there is another organization, though.
Have you checked into Mercy Ships?

A few months ago, I bought some basic books to begin learning Spanish. The cashier was a young lady, who was a newly minted teacher. She had spent the last year teaching Spanish in our local school system.

To shorten this up, she was volunteering for Mercy Ships for the summer, and was headed to Africa (to help teach English, I believe).

She told me that Mercy Ships has positions open in Spanish speaking countries - in Central America, I believe. Also, I think it's a faith-based Christian outfit.

Just a thought.


PS : Congratulations!!!!!

 
Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,236 posts, read 18,519,100 times
Reputation: 17765
Thanks, seebee. I will check into that. I do speak , read and write Spanish somewhat (about a fifth grade level) so that's why I chose those countries.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
 
Old 06-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Status: "Could be worse" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
510 posts, read 1,309,505 times
Reputation: 452
Default Happy Retirement, Nancy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
hi , dancingearth. Almost. Once Monday comes , it'll be practically a memory. And, thanks for remembering.
Its Monday, so you must be RETIRED! Congratulations!
 
Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Status: "Could be worse" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
510 posts, read 1,309,505 times
Reputation: 452
Default Can you believe what's going on here?! YES WE CAN!!

Boy, where to start, with all the activity!

Riverbird: sounds like you've found 'peace of mind' with your decision to stay put!

JustmeCFB: Welcome, keep us posted on any ideas!

Desert Spirit! Wow! You're inspiring!! Good luck, and how fun to meet up with DancingEarth!

DancingEarth: Excited about your upcoming move, but.. hate to admit it, but I'll miss your hilarious stories about your 'wierdo' roommate! In fact, haven't heard any for awhile....

Molly: Thanks for thinking of me, and I too, think of everyone as taller. I was certain Wisteria was 5'6...? How bout (other threads) when you assign the wrong sex?

Tesaje: One step at a time!

Plantlover: "TinyFolks", I believe Tesaje called us?

Nancy: Enjoy yourself!
Re: Peace Corp-- I love your comments below:
"though as I am not sure that I could represent the policies of the United States"
because that's exactly how I felt, after I learned more about it!

short people and dust on top: Even though we can't see it...
Not so good when everyone else can see all the dirty areas, and they just assume 'you're not very clean'!

SeeBee: ?Como estas? Are you thinking about joining something like Mercy Ships?
Keeper: Where'd you come in, and why do you feel like a "lug"?

Hope I didn't miss any other important events or comments.
(Wisteria next)
 
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Status: "Could be worse" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
510 posts, read 1,309,505 times
Reputation: 452
Thumbs up About that MeetUp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Anomoly, I heard from my friend, Linda, who is now in Truth or Consequences. She is busy unpacking (451 boxes -- hard to believe!) -- and she is on Poplar in Truth or Consequences. Once she is more unpacked, I will give you her number and all, as I know she is looking to meet more people, too. Although she's married, she's very social, and she's already met someone from our Santa Cruz (Boulder Creek) area! Small world.
Yeah, let me know when she's settled in a bit. That will be great to meet her.
I have also had contact with a woman in Las Cruces (not on City Data), who said that Las Cruces actually has a lot of spiritual activities and people there. So, I think that is another place to re-check for me.
Yeah, one of the first things I remember reading about it.
Also, I have heard from another woman who is retired who is interested in Albuquerque. Anomoly, would you be willing to meet her at some point up there in TorC?
Dont think I can right now, considering price of gas, my moving, etc....
I thought that maybe if we could have a central meeting point in New Mexico, that would be a good start. What do you think about TorC being the central meeting point from where we start checking out other cities -- or maybe TorC being "the" city? We could have a big meet-up at the local hot springs!!!
This is becoming a great thread and I think it's time we start really figuring out how to meet up. Even if we just have mini-meetups, it's a start.
About a "MeetUp": Been awhile since we discussed this, but I think I suggested TrC for that purpose, considering:
1) low-cost
2)peaceful
3) retreats/lodges
4) hot springs district
5) funky tourist town
6) Artist town
7) gateway location.
This town is at it's best for tourists! Lots to see in the area!
*Elephant Butte Lake/Rio Grande,
*Art Galleries with a "Gallery Hop" (1 Sat night a month, downtown shops open),
*Mining/Ghost towns,
*Hillsboro/Kingston to beautiful mtn pass drive to Silver City,
*70m S to Las Cruces (NMSU) & Old Mesilla,
*70m N to Socorro (Wildlife Refuge, NM Tech),
*on I-25 150m to Albuquerque, 175m to Santa Fe)
But like I said before, OCTOBER would be perfect weather.
And, I'm sure I could find a nice 'group rate', so I'm glad you brought this up again.
It's almost July, and a good time to plan something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Because I have been so busy, and involved with just trying to get my own things done here, I haven't had time to think so much about "my" space in New Mexico. However, I did have a small contact with a journalist in Las Cruces and she gave me some useful information about spiritual activities there.
Wisteria, I'd love any info you get! Maybe DM me?
I was hoping I'd have more intuition about where I am going there, but not yet. Although, I feel that I am eliminating northern California. When I compare the two within myself, New Mexico seems to be whispering to me. When it shouts, then I know it's time to go!!
I'm still hoping for you to come to Las Cruces!! I'll be waiting!
Nancy, I, too, have thought about going abroad for awhile (it's been a long time since I've been to Europe), and I've only been to the Carribbean and Mexico and Canada in the past decade. I feel a longing to see more foreign places -- but, then again, New Mexico might be that nice combination! And...I finally did sign up for a Spanish class at our local community college for the Fall -- might as well see if I can regain any of my old high school Spanish!
I'll say this one again: Anyone wanting to retire down on the coast of Mexico (San Carlos, Mazatlan, etc), PLEASE, JUST SAY THE WORD, AND I'LL GO! The only thing that's stopped me before is not wanting to go alone, and not having any connections there. But, lots of 'Ex-patriats' happily living there!
 
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Status: "Could be worse" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
510 posts, read 1,309,505 times
Reputation: 452
Keep forgetting to post this GREAT, MOSTLY FREE, website...

Cafe Astrology* Astrology Signs, Horoscopes, Love
 
Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,085,842 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
DancingEarth: Excited about your upcoming move, but.. hate to admit it, but I'll miss your hilarious stories about your 'wierdo' roommate! In fact, haven't heard any for awhile....
COLOR=blue]short people and dust on top[/color]: Even though we can't see it...
Not so good when everyone else can see all the dirty areas, and they just assume 'you're not very clean'!
It's amazing how much more I like my housemate now that I'm getting my own space! I can't remember where I left it with the woman he was dating but that lasted one week and she drove to Texas and brought back a man that lived in a van and is now living with her. I guess she decided she could stop after number eleven instead of dating fifty men. My housemate is still looking and writing to women online. Sunday he was meeting another one and told me if it went well he would offer to show her the house. Reaffirming that I need my own place. He's been into playing on the plaza for money and really enjoying himself interacting with people. It is fun hearing his stories but I'll enjoy it more when it doesn't involve bringing women he's just met to my home--at least this time I got some warning. For awhile I didn't think we'd remain friends but there goes that theory--I think we will on some level because he is really a very nice guy.

Dust - LOL now watch what you say about my housekeeping skills! My eyesight makes it even worst. When I packed a hanging lamp it was dusty! I forgot how dusty NM is. The great thing about friends and family are they either accept my home the way it is or they aren't welcome--or they can come help me clean Actually since my over 6' tall brother mentioned the dust on top of the frig, I check it once in a while. I'm very much an out of sight, out of mind person--if I don't see it, it doesn't bother me. If I climb up there and see it, I need to clean it. I don't like clutter---things need to be in their place but I'm not into spending all my free time cleaning when I could be throwing a pot, reading in the hammock, drawing my boot, watching the birds in the birdbath................ Sigh....I wish I could go sit on the plaza today and practice my drawing instead of work. I plan on doing that at lunch.
 
Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,085,842 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Everyone! It has been a wild week for me -- my daughter, who is now 18, graduated high school. We spent a few days in San Jose where she will be going to college for International Business and she registered for Fall classes. Since she now has a boyfriend who is Chinese, she signed up to take Mandarin in the Fall! Ah, what young love will do for motivation!

Because I have been so busy, and involved with just trying to get my own things done here, I haven't had time to think so much about "my" space in New Mexico. However, I did have a small contact with a journalist in Las Cruces and she gave me some useful information about spiritual activities there.

I also spent the last two weeks getting brush cleared from my property -- FIVE truck loads!! With it being so dry around here, one must be prepared. So, I've been climbing on rooftops and sweeping and raking, and gathering brush and hauling trash, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention I am working full-time, and I drive my daughter to and from work each day (she doesn't have a license yet). On top of that, my wonderful boss, whom I adore, is retiring this month -- it is so sad for me. We have become friends as well as co-workers. Then my daughter will be going away to college in August, and I just feel like my mind is not settling into an "intuition" groove, so to speak. If I could just tune in, then I know that the serendipity that both DancingEarth and Desert_Spirit talked about will help me. I am frequently "guided" by my gut -- that sounds kind of nasty -- okay, guided by my "inner spirit!"

I was hoping I'd have more intuition about where I am going there, but not yet. Although, I feel that I am eliminating northern California. When I compare the two within myself, New Mexico seems to be whispering to me. When it shouts, then I know it's time to go!!

Nancy, I, too, have thought about going abroad for awhile (it's been a long time since I've been to Europe), and I've only been to the Carribbean and Mexico and Canada in the past decade. I feel a longing to see more foreign places -- but, then again, New Mexico might be that nice combination! And...I finally did sign up for a Spanish class at our local community college for the Fall -- might as well see if I can regain any of my old high school Spanish!

I actually did attend the Peace Corps meetings a few months back and was thinking about going to Mongolia (don't ask me why -- it just sounded appealing!). However, since I am a social worker and tend to get into situations where I am "taking care of" others, I didn't realize consciously at first that this was similar. It was when my boss and I were talking and she wants to do some traveling, so I suggested the Peace Corps. She said she didn't want to have a daily schedule, to have to be at the beck and call of another agency, and that she wanted some free will. Suddenly, I realized that although it's the Peace Corps....it would still be a job!! I would be the one people would turn to! I just want some fun down time! So, now I'm back to refiguring that one out -- maybe a stint for several months elsewhere, or who knows? I'm waiting for my intuition to kick in!!! Anyone see my intuition around???

Sounds like we're starting to get our "messages" from wherever they emanate! Good going, folks!!
It was a huge relief to get my last child through high school. I had a big party and it wasn't just for him! Hang in there--even when you just work away at what needs to be done, you're part of the flow which leads you to where you need to be eventually. We just want to know NOW instead of being patient and having faith in the process. Heck, I never expected to be back in Santa Fe and now I'm feeling like this is where I belong. It feels good but who knows for the future? Congratulations on your daughter's graduation and her next adventure. Is she going to San Jose State? My uncle coached football there years ago. How's the back doing with all that yardwork?
 
Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,085,842 times
Reputation: 924
Today was my walk through and the guys didn't know I was coming. I am so NOT impressed with the woman in the office. The guys were a little embarrassed because they still had things to finish but I'm glad I went--now they'll finish it and I finally got someone to call the city to get the certificate of occupancy taken care of. The last time I talked to the woman in the office she said she "thought it was done but it's not in the file...I'll send it to the bank when I find it." Grrrr..... I go back July 7 for another walk through.

Here's my kitchen and living room! It feels like a little doll's house. Can't you just see a whole wall of built in bookcases along the living room wall? Just right for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-img_9722.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-img_9724.jpg  
 
Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Reputation: 2646
DancingEarth, that is sooooo cute! I love it!! It has a nice, cozy feel to it. You must be so excited!! Congratulations! It will be fun to see the photos once you move in and add your own personal touches!

Yes, my daughter is going to San Jose State Unversity. So, you know the area? I was thinking she'd go to San Diego State, where she was accepted, too, but she didn't want to go there -- I was surprised. She likes San Jose, and the city, although with a large population, is kind of "small." I think that's what attracted her -- she likes San Francisco, but also did not want to go to school there. At least San Jose has a good Business School, and she is majoring in International Business. I have today "off" because she is in Sacramento today with her "boyfriend," whom she met at her job at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (he is older than she -- he's graduating with a degree in math this year -- she likes older guys.....she never dated in high school because she felt the boys were too immature), and she is meeting his parents!! Big day! It's kind of weird having her over 18 now and starting college. True to her International flair, her boyfriend is Chinese! She will be taking Chinese (Mandarin) in the fall -- with her fluency in Spanish from living in Chile as a foreign exchange student, her native English, and maybe Chinese, she'll definitely have an advantage in International Business jobs. We shall see. I'm anxious to see how her visit to his parents go -- they have only been in the U.S. for 10 years, so I have no idea.....

I also went to my boss's retirement party last night -- it will be sad to see her leave. I saw a bunch of other people who had retired from our department, and they all looked so relaxed!! It was a real incentive for me to get going on this. I am not sure how I will pull it all off, but it's time to get the house ready, see what I can get, and if I will be able to buy or will have to rent elsewhere. Seeing so many relaxed and happy retired people was such a motivation to get going. I realized that I am just way too tired and over-worked to keep this up. It is time to finally leave the workforce.

My yardwork: that is another reason I'm so tired! I had five truckloads of brush hauled away, and more to do. All the roofs are cleared off, and lots of weed whacking done! I have trails in the back for dogs, but need to get those back into shape. Then I have to paint the inside of the house in order to put it on the market. Fortunately, I am not in the suburbs, so I don't have to conform to looking suburbanish!

And that is what is going on here. Too much to do, too little time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top