U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So have you settled on Ft Collins or Loveland or CS or Denver? They all sound like they have different kinds of amenities. What are winters like in these places--how many months of cold, how many months of snow? I bet summers are lovely.
I had the hardest time getting on here today - thought I was going to have to call the guys with the straight jackets ( -I think my patience is wearing these days).

Months of snow - well from what I've read - this can change each year - some years have less snow but generally not that much. Compared to here - piece of cake. Winters in CO beat winters in MN and New England - no contest.

But - NO HUMIDITY!!!!! The dryness can take some getting use to. A co-worker use to say, "Time to get out the Valvoline (car engine oil) and slather up!"

I believe I read somewhere that it snowed in Denver YESTERDAY! Just a bit and, of course, it disappears quickly. The snow is also usually that light powder compared to the wet stuff that weighs a ton.

Here's the problem with this moving prep - things use to be put away and out of sight. Now with all the bins for this and that I'm starting to get NUTS!@!! It's everywhere Simply can't operate in chaos. I don't know how hoarders do it. I have to frequently step outside and just breathe.

OK - the dog is barking so I guess I'll have to go out and beat her ( JUST KIDDING!)

Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you can afford the buy-in... I've gotta say to go with the college towns.

Aside from the generally higher level of discourse available, and often for free, in the event you need a bit of extra income there is almost always a nice and generally responsible tenant to be found there.

A grad student, junior faculty or someone on staff (vs undergrad).
This is one of the reasons I'm moving to a college town, plus the in-town bus system and senior transport when I need it. I have NOT liked living in this small suburban town that I'm leaving--14 years of loneliness!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Here's the problem with this moving prep - things use to be put away and out of sight. Now with all the bins for this and that I'm starting to get NUTS!@!! It's everywhere Simply can't operate in chaos. I don't know how hoarders do it. I have to frequently step outside and just breathe.

OK - the dog is barking so I guess I'll have to go out and beat her ( JUST KIDDING!)
I have been scaling down for over two years, made all the kids come and get everything they've stored here. I am not a hoarder, except of linens, blankets, and winter jackets (lightweight stuff). Dealing with my material possessions has me hating material possessions, I'm sick and tired of weeding through, considering, throwing out, packing and repacking, and worrying if I threw something out I should have saved. To be honest, I'd prefer living in a two-room apt with no storage. Stuff stuff stuff! Every room of my house was filled with stuff to pack till I decided to bring everything to one central room, the LR, and deal with it from there. The clutter was giving me nightmares!

So, where's your destination??

Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have been scaling down for over two years, made all the kids come and get everything they've stored here. I am not a hoarder, except of linens, blankets, and winter jackets (lightweight stuff). Dealing with my material possessions has me hating material possessions, I'm sick and tired of weeding through, considering, throwing out, packing and repacking, and worrying if I threw something out I should have saved. To be honest, I'd prefer living in a two-room apt with no storage. Stuff stuff stuff! Every room of my house was filled with stuff to pack till I decided to bring everything to one central room, the LR, and deal with it from there. The clutter was giving me nightmares!

So, where's your destination??
My destination has yet to be determined. Somewhere in CO - but in the Ft Collins, Loveland, Colorado Springs and maybe Denver. I want to keep it smaller than Denver ( I think).

MrRational - I keep the option of the housemate in the back of my mind.

If it doesn't stop raining here I'm going to turn into a big blob of mold. It feels colder inside with that dampness than when it's below zero outside.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My destination has yet to be determined. ... I'm helping another friend flee the We_tern WA rain :ok: Somewhere in CO - but in the Ft Collins,(stayed there Sat night) Loveland, (visited there Sunday AM) Colorado Springs (stayed there Tues, with a newly 'relocated CD user) and maybe Denver (flew in Tues 10 May, out 17 May).

MrRational - I keep the option of the housemate in the back of my mind. (CS CD transplants got a nice place with daylight basement full handicapped access and living on each floor. View of Mtns from AF Academy to Cheyenne Mtn (NORAD)) Could be a good choice for a future 'house mate'

If it doesn't stop raining here I'm going to turn into a big blob of mold. It feels colder inside with that dampness than when it's below zero outside.
Rain --- don't even mention that (11" last month). And to think I'm away today and missing one of our 80 days / yr of sunshine

I drove a moving truck from WA State to Dallas last weekend, after helping friend load it for a few days and them realizing they had WAY too much to take without more cargo capacity (added their cargo van and a trailer, and still left stuff, which I will inherit and sell (or WORST!! keep...). I did get snapshot #3 of 2011 'helping early retirees' to their new transcontinental abodes'.

Hint - downsize, downsize some more, THEN when you are down to just a duffel bag, 'Hit the road!!. My theory is that we ought to move with only our suitcase, as junk is junk, and we can't find it anyway. Tho I have a lot of family heirlooms. (stuff coveted enough to ride to the prairie in a covered wagon)

Umbria - Each of your chosen 3 towns in CO will work well (I excluded Denver, tho it works for some, it would never be in my top 100). I will admit, the "Brown Cloud" and astronomical growth (suburbia, Northern Colo and CS) would not allow this CO kid to move back, BUT it can still be a great spot for others.

Personally, I would be doing lots of those SWA CHEAP tickets to DEN and check out each place thoroughly. ( I just got a DEN last minute $70 fare from Dallas, and a $74 fare to PDX). My Rental car was less than $15/ day including tax (only $8 / day to car company, Santa Fe yesterday, Las Cruces for a few days, then SE an E AZ). I will be back for this Loveland High Plains Arts Council tho I hate to miss any AUG in PNW. (a dry month).

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM

SR - You sure get around! I am so jealous that you got to go where I so want to go. Spring is my busiest time around here: get the yard cleaned up (between storms) - where do these leaves come from- thought I had them all cleaned up last fall but now have a bunch more; fertilize/weed yard; take off storms & wash all windows; change out wardrobe; plant flower pots, etc, etc, etc,,,, I both love and hate this yard.

Oh, and l-a-d-i-e-s!!!!! Remember I said I hired 2 sophmores (H.S.) to mow my yard? I was thinking they were about my size (5'3") - holy moly - these two look more like SRs in college - almost 6' with an athletic build - gorgeous!! I had to remind myself that I was (whispers) 40+ years older than them.

More news: I took my dog out to pee - since I am fertilizing/weeding my back yard and do 1/2 half at a time due to the dogs (don't want them to get the chemicals in their paws) - I had him on a leash so I could connect him to the tie out (only use the tie-out when fertilizing) and heard some noise and there were 2 geese, a male and a female. My dog barked but instead of them flying away they just waddled about. I'm glad the tie-out was on the opposite side of the yard and I'm also glad I have a big yard. I got the other dog and then we all sat and watched these geese. They stayed in the far corner but made no attempt to flee so I discussed this with my buddies and we think she may be getting ready for a family so then we will have baby geese in my yard. It's so funny because normally the dogs would have barked at these birds but they sat so quietly - like they understood they shouldn't disturb her. I'm going to be a grandma!!! (with tons of bird crap in my yard).

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Umbria - Each of your chosen 3 towns in CO will work well (I excluded Denver, tho it works for some, it would never be in my top 100). I will admit, the "Brown Cloud" and astronomical growth (suburbia, Northern Colo and CS) would not allow this CO kid to move back, BUT it can still be a great spot for others...
I have been in the Denver area for over 32 years and the "Brown Cloud" is much less today and the air quality has improved greatly because of mitigation done to reduce pollution.

I feel Denver is much better today than when I arrived. Neighborhoods that were declining are now in renewal. People are moving back into the city. New building, convention hotels have gone up downtown. Platte river valley is being built with new parks and housing and the 16th street Mall was built.

Denver has built a new modern airport, enlarged the convention center (twice), football stadium, arena, baseball stadium, children museum, new art gallery, opera hall, new concert and event halls, renewed the zoo and science museum, big new library. Public transportation has improved greatly and that to me is the most important.

All over the city, this is renewal and building of walkable neighborhoods and transit oriented developments near the rail station. Denver is in the process of further expanding public transit with Denver Union Station, now under redevelopment as the hub.

Denver is a good city for seniors, as it is not too big but not too dense--just about 600,000 which is good size for good public transit and excellent expansive medical care. It now has a new Medical Center complex, in Aurora, and a new VA hospital is being built. Denver is well known for the extensive network of public parks and trails.

The suburbs have also improved because if a city declines, the first ring suburbs also decay--not so in Denver. Yes, it has expanded out more than when I arrived but Denver works well with integrating development, highways and public transit over a multiple county region.

I once thought that I would like to live in a small town. Now, as a senior, I realize that good public transit and healthcare are much better in a larger city, with many small towns having no public transit and inadequate healthcare.

I guess you can tell that I like the Denver area. I do not think it is the best city but I think it is among the best cities in the country. It certainly is better than the decayed city of Buffalo which has got much worse, since I left over 40 yrs. ago.

Livecontent

Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Denver is a good city for seniors, as it is not too big but not too dense--just about 600,000 which is good size for good public transit and excellent expansive medical care. It now has a new Medical Center complex, in Aurora, and a new VA hospital is being built. Denver is well known for the extensive network of public parks and trails.

Livecontent
What about the snow? Wouldn't it be hard to get around with a walker or wheelchair in the snow?

A week or two ago the American Lung Association released its grades on air quality in major cities. Denver was rated a C while Ft. Collins and Boulder got an F. This surprised me a lot and I'm wondering what the pollution source is in Ft. Collins, since I had looked at moving there. Do you know?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What about the snow? Wouldn't it be hard to get around with a walker or wheelchair in the snow?

A week or two ago the American Lung Association released its grades on air quality in major cities. Denver was rated a C while Ft. Collins and Boulder got an F. This surprised me a lot and I'm wondering what the pollution source is in Ft. Collins, since I had looked at moving there. Do you know?
I use a rollator/walker and it has not been an issue because I am retired and I do not go out in very bad weather. Heavy snow is much less and melts fast. This is a semi-arid area with little rain and snow. If you using a assisted walking device/wheel chair, you really are not going to do that much walking/rolling in bad weather. For me, I am able to get door to door service with the handicapped bus; all people who need these mobility devices can qualify for this service.

I have not idea about their ratings. The only information I know is that the air is Denver has vastly improved over the years--that has been reported in the news and by the government. I do not have problems with the air and I have mild asthma.

I suspect Boulder and Ft. Collins have become more dense over the years and more people drive, as these areas are becoming more affluent. Boulder is not a small quiet, idyllic town--in many places it has more traffic and congestion than Denver. Fort Collins is suffering from its popularity; the population is increasing and it does not have the good public transit system, as in Denver. Boulder public transportation is good in the denser areas of the city; but not so good in and around the fringes and Boulder County.

Livecontent

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I use a rollator/walker and it has not been an issue because I am retired and I do not go out in very bad weather. Heavy snow is much less and melts fast. This is a semi-arid area with little rain and snow. If you using a assisted walking device/wheel chair, you really are not going to do that much walking/rolling in bad weather. For me, I am able to get door to door service with the handicapped bus; all people who need these mobility devices can qualify for this service.

I have not idea about their ratings. The only information I know is that the air is Denver has vastly improved over the years--that has been reported in the news and by the government. I do not have problems with the air and I have mild asthma.

I suspect Boulder and Ft. Collins have become more dense over the years and more people drive, as these areas are becoming more affluent. Boulder is not a small quiet, idyllic town--in many places it has more traffic and congestion than Denver. Fort Collins is suffering from its popularity; the population is increasing and it does not have the good public transit system, as in Denver. Boulder public transportation is good in the denser areas of the city; but not so good in and around the fringes and Boulder County.

Livecontent

Denver is looking better and better!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement