U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What about the snow? Wouldn't it be hard to get around with a walker or wheelchair in the snow?

A week or two ago the American Lung Association released its grades on air quality in major cities. Denver was rated a C while Ft. Collins and Boulder got an F. This surprised me a lot and I'm wondering what the pollution source is in Ft. Collins, since I had looked at moving there. Do you know?
Why is this never discussed anywhere?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
...while Ft. Collins and Boulder got an F. This surprised me a lot and I'm wondering what the pollution source is in Ft. Collins, since I had looked at moving there. Do you know?
I'm thinking it has less to do with being a source of pollution...
as being higher up enough and that much closer to the mountain so the smog stays there more.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM

433 posts, read 991,748 times
I had not heard about this latest report on air quality. NOW you tell me! The city I'm moving from is the 5th cleanest in the country for ozone and the 11th cleanest for particles.

The county where I'm moving gets an F on ozone and an A on particle pollution.

City Rankings: State of the Air 2011 - American Lung Association

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Interesting report - thanks for the link.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Denver is looking better and better!!

Yes, Livecontent does make it sound good,always has.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
My initial assumption about the failure of Ft. Collins and Boulder was correct, after I read the report. These areas failed on high ozone which is a product of auto exhaust. When I look closely at the maps, it shows that areas around Denver, that have more auto driving, are the worse areas for ozone. Interestingly enough, the central core of Denver, that is the Downtown is cleaner. I think because there is not the driving all through the day while far out in suburbs you have continual driving back and forth; there is much more public transit in the central core.

It does show in Denver, as I said, that the pollutions measures in all categories show a decrease over the years. Denver is not listed as one the worse polluted city. This is contrary to the popular belief based on problems, years ago.

Again, reducing auto driving with good public transit improves the air. A report that was released this week by the Brookings Institution rates Denver highly for coverage of public transit, ranking 6th in access to jobs by public transit access

Denver area ranks high on access to public transit - The Denver Post

The complete report is at
Missed Opportunity: Transit and Jobs in Metro America - Brookings Institution

This data is a good indication for retirees, even if we do not work. The idea is that more destinations are available by public transit in the Denver area than most areas of the country. As a non-working senior and a frequent public transit user, I have other advantages because I have time to spare. So, taking a bus or train is not all that crucial if it is a little late or slow. As most days, I have no fixed scheldule and I go at my own sloooow pace. I have no timeclock to punch.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-13-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,468,926 times
I really like the idea of getting rid of the car and related expenses. I love to ride the train to S.F. for the day, but at times, I'm not sure how safe it is be on public transportation. On another thread I recall reading a post where some claimed that it is a sport to ride "loot" buses. It is common knowledge that some S.F. bus lines are out right dangerous. Any thoughts to share? Yes, I know, always be aware of your environment.

I agree with those of you who are in the moving stage that is a good idea to get rid of the old stuff, but, I just can't replace some of them with things not Made In America, so I will eventually pack up Grandma's Revere Ware pots and pans as they are a part of me at this stage of life. Hopefully, my turn to pack will get here someday and get out from under the CA COL.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I really like the idea of getting rid of the car and related expenses. I love to ride the train to S.F. for the day, but at times, I'm not sure how safe it is be on public transportation. On another thread I recall reading a post where some claimed that it is a sport to ride "loot" buses. It is common knowledge that some S.F. bus lines are out right dangerous. Any thoughts to share? Yes, I know, always be aware of your environment.

I agree with those of you who are in the moving stage that is a good idea to get rid of the old stuff, but, I just can't replace some of them with things not Made In America, so I will eventually pack up Grandma's Revere Ware pots and pans as they are a part of me at this stage of life. Hopefully, my turn to pack will get here someday and get out from under the CA COL.
I grew up near Buffalo and I lived in NYC during some of the worse crime periods. Yes, at those places and times, I had to be careful on public transit. Now, I would say public transit is much safer because of the implementation of all the cameras, listening devices, real time GPS location monitors and instant communications that are available by the driver and passengers.

I have been in Denver for over 32 years and I would say it has always been much safer than the cities in my past. I have never run into a major problem. Yes, I am male, large and very ugly

As a senior disabled, I am given my space and ignored. I am invisible, especially by the passengers who consider themselves the best and the brightest --the business class yuppies who ride to work on their express buses. If I see one that they will not remove their bags from the seat for others--I demand the seat. I drool and shake a little, which annoys them, and perhaps pass a little gas. The lower class accept me as one of their own and actual have no problem sitting near me, talking to me or helping me

Now, I rarely travel at night--it is too tiring for me. So, I assume that reduces the risks. Also, being older I am removed from the age range where some young punk wants to prove himself and inflate his ego. To him, I am just an old man which gives him no credit if he wins a battle.

In reality from my life experience, I have been put more at risk of injury and death in my own personal vehicle. Every trip, you drive by multiple people who are insane, murderous; drive dangerously; drive too fast and are impaired by age, drugs or alcohol. One the speeding highway, every few seconds you will run into a potential hazard from one or more of these people. On a bus or rail, the risk is much less for collisions. In addition, when driving, you cannot see the person and it happens too fast. On a bus or train, you can see the person and evaluate the hazard and avoid many problems.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-13-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
As a senior disabled, I am given my space and ignored. I am invisible, especially by the passengers who consider themselves the best and the brightest --the business class yuppies who ride to work on their express buses. If I see one that they will not remove their bags from the seat for others--I demand the seat. I drool and shake a little, which annoysthem, and perhaps pass a little gas. The lower class accept me as one of their own and actual have no problem sitting near me, talking to me or helping me

Livecontent
I think we really need to have a talk about this - ah - habit of yours. Didn't know you also used it as weapon.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,468,926 times
I have been in Denver for over 32 years and I would say it has always been much safer than the cities in my past. I have never run into a major problem. Yes, I am male, large and very ugly

As a senior disabled, I am given my space and ignored. I am invisible, especially by the passengers who consider themselves the best and the brightest --the business class yuppies who ride to work on their express buses. If I see one that they will not remove their bags from the seat for others--I demand the seat. I drool and shake a little, which annoys them, and perhaps pass a little gas. The lower class accept me as one of their own and actual have no problem sitting near me, talking to me or helping me

Now, I rarely travel at night--it is too tiring for me. So, I assume that reduces the risks. Also, being older I am removed from the age range where some young punk wants to prove himself and inflate his ego. To him, I am just an old man which gives him no credit if he wins a battle.

In reality from my life experience, I have been put more at risk of injury and death in my own personal vehicle. Every trip, you drive by multiple people who are insane, murderous; drive dangerously; drive too fast and are impaired by age, drugs or alcohol. One the speeding highway, every few seconds you will run into a potential hazard from one or more of these people. On a bus or rail, the risk is much less for collisions. In addition, when driving, you cannot see the person and it happens too fast. On a bus or train, you can see the person and evaluate the hazard and avoid many problems.

Livecontent[/quote]

Many females will relate to that!

Also, here is a new article about where to retire:

Best Places to Retire Abroad, Argentina, Belize, Costa Rica, France, Italy, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Portugal, Spain - AARP The Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement