U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 AM

433 posts, read 992,314 times

Advertisements

I worked and lived in SF for several decades. I walked or took Muni everywhere and not once did I have an incident where I was harmed or robbed. Of course I paid a high rent to live in a safe, convenient area (on the edge of North Beach) and I used common sense.

I agree with livecontent that driving is more dangerous. I am still troubled by a whiplash injury from a car accident that happened in 1984.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
On another thread I recall reading a post where some claimed that it is a sport to ride "loot" buses. It is common knowledge that some S.F. bus lines are out right dangerous. Any thoughts to share? Yes, I know, always be aware of your environment.
When you ride the bus remove all jewelry, dress in black and wear a babushka, carry a large bag with celery sticking out. You'll be safe.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When you ride the bus remove all jewelry, dress in black and wear a babushka, carry a large bag with celery sticking out. You'll be safe.
And try this: drool and shake a little, which annoys them, and perhaps pass a little gas

Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
And try this: drool and shake a little, which annoys them, and perhaps pass a little gas
You made me laugh because that was exactly what I was going to repeat. Also, stink a little; wear old clothes; talk to yourself; drench yourself with Booze... The idea is that is you look like one of the people that should be avoided on public transit--you then will be left alone--even by the thieves. It has advantages--I get a seat to myself.

Actually, I use my rollator and arrange it like a shopping cart with my dirty bedroll and a few crushed aluminum cans

Livecontent

Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
SR - You sure get around! I am so jealous that you got to go where I so want to go. Spring is my busiest time around here: get the yard cleaned up (between storms) - ...
Spring, What Spring?? (has not arrived in PNW yet....)
I had forgotten how nice it was to see stars and sun before 5th of July!

Las Cruces doing 'eldercare' today, AZ tomorrow, back to Den to catch a flight to PDX on Tues. THEN spring activities (I see a partly cloudy day in the PDX forecast for the 21st of June). Back to DEN on 23rd for a drive to Southbend, Ind, then a weekend in Nebr for Memorial Day Services at a rural graveyard where I planted my dad a few yrs ago. Maybe Spring will come to PNW in June. I did take the tractor around the yard, as the grass was over a foot tall, but still raining. (Got 11+ inches in March) Wettest April on record.

For the NM bound... LC is very nice, I did Farmers Market today (One of biggest in USA). Talked to several 'retirees' who were selling products. They all seem to like it, especially the 'intelligent & engaging' retirement community, available recreation, and activities. If I didn't have my mom here, I might consider it too . Dusty and windy would take some getting use too, after 30 yrs of Wet, Mold, mildew, moss (on roof and walks + car), and 300' tall trees in my backyard (with ferns growing out the sides of them). A prairie kid from birth could get used to it The sunsets and sunrises are great with Mtn ranges on 3 sides. Mom has what she calls her Colorado House, it is very nice w/ brick & stone inside and out, and really nice woodwork inside w/ a wood, open beam ceiling and 270 deg views.

I'm glad I won't have to clean this joint out, it is pretty big...
I got 'disinherited' through the legal system back when mom was threatening to have me 'biffed'. I am happy with being disinherited by mom, my father left me with a mountain of debt for an inheritance (+ 30 yrs of senior caregiving for him). I don't need anymore BILLs or eldercare, I am quite capable of muffing that up myself

BTW, the majority of Colorado snow I dealt with was 'skiffs'; light and blowing. I rode my bicycle to work every day but 3, the last yr I lived there. It can snow at night and be 70F by noon the next day .

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
I had a woman friend when I lived on the south side of Chicago, many years ago, who would walk around freely even at night carrying on an animated conversation with her shopping bag. No one bothered her.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
I lived on the North side of Chicago for many years. I used public transportation a lot. I never wore jewlery. I would keep it hidden in my purse and put it on after I got to where I was going.

But I didn't wear black or carry celery. Just tried to blend in without drawing attention to myself.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM

796 posts, read 777,190 times
I love reading the comments here. A lot of you have a real sense of humor and have given me a much needed laugh! You all sound like you are making good decisions on where to move and are very busy accomplishing things. Whatever you are drinking, eating or breathing to give you this energy and ability to follow through with things let me know what it is. I definitely need to make decisions about my life and can't seem to figure out what to do.

Here in Pennsylvania it is a real treat this time of year. Everything is blooming. Last week was beautiful weather. I have lived here all my life and love Spring. You can drive down the street and see so many different colors - red, pink, white, green, purple, orange all within one block. I have to enjoy it while it lasts because before you know it summer will be here and I'll be complaining about the heat!

NewEnglandGirl: I have a question for you. You mentioned in an earlier post that you sold your home yourself but paid a 2% realtor commission. Could you explain how that worked? What type of advertising did you do? Did you have open houses? Around here it seems like realtors don't want to take less than 6%. I'm wondering if they would even encourage their clients to look at a for sale by owner house if they don't get their commission. I'd appreciate hearing more about your experience.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post

NewEnglandGirl: I have a question for you. You mentioned in an earlier post that you sold your home yourself but paid a 2% realtor commission. Could you explain how that worked? What type of advertising did you do? Did you have open houses? Around here it seems like realtors don't want to take less than 6%. I'm wondering if they would even encourage their clients to look at a for sale by owner house if they don't get their commission. I'd appreciate hearing more about your experience.
I'm not NEG but someone I know sold her house and paid a realtor about $1000 to handle the paperwork. I plan to do the same. She had, and I have, special non-toxic formaldehyde free houses and can market them better than local realtors. You have to handle all the advertising and showings yourself.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post

I decided to sell the house myself not to avoid realtor fees so much (they generally work hard for their 5 or 6% commission), but to stay in control of the process. Nobody knows your home like you do, and I wanted to get the name and contact info of everyone who came through for a viewing. I wanted to market it myself. My son made a great blog for the property with a gallery of photos and all the basic info. I took a LOT of time photographing each room just so, took maybe 10 shots for each room and then selected the best (always put all the lights on when you take photos) and then cropped each one for the website. I also created a one page flyer in B&W (color not necessary, too expensive) and put them in a box attached to a professonally made sign (don't use the crappy FSBO signs they sell at hardware stores, get one professionally made- cost me $70). I then emailed every single individual realtor agent within 30 miles (I took the time to compile several hundred) and emailed them the announcement with the blog link, inviting them to bring their clients and offering 2% commission. I got so many showings I was overwhelmed. The realtors were incredibly polite and helpful and respectful. I have no complaints, other than about one, who really put me down for selling on my own. Around here, it's a great resale area, and I was super lucky that there were not many homes in my price range on the market in mid March--end of April (very little competition). That is the best time to list--mid March to first of May. After that, in the summer things go a bit dead, and in the fall people want a real bargain. I did sell for less than I wanted but it was a cash buyer and I was thrilled to be able to sell fast and not have to go through the hot summer. I also have a great RE lawyer, someone who knows FSBO and is savvy. I couldn't have done it wihtout him.

PS: I didn't have to have an open house, which I dreaded, as I cannot stand up too long. Open houses are mixed bag--some say they work well, others feel they are more for the realtor who will make lots of contacts for herself. It would have been stressful for me, being a perfectionist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement