U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Know what you mean about the weather. We moved from CT/NY to get away from the snow, but have to admit that I'd rather deal with the snow than the tornadoes we're getting here in TN. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to live up north or we'd be packing.
I've always been curious about Tenn.--seems like a great state. And as a northerner always concerned about property taxes and heating oil (always on the march up). How much are you actually saving from when you were living up north, and on what? Are you really saving that much? Do you have to spend money in other ways, say like to come back north to visit family? What part of Tenn. is getting tornadoes?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,674,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So what does? Where are you headed to avoid disasters?
A few posts above, you will find a few possibilities that I've listed. One can't totally avoid them, of course, but after living in Tornado Alley for 32 years, I want out.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've always been curious about Tenn.--seems like a great state. And as a northerner always concerned about property taxes and heating oil (always on the march up). How much are you actually saving from when you were living up north, and on what? Are you really saving that much? Do you have to spend money in other ways, say like to come back north to visit family? What part of Tenn. is getting tornadoes?
All parts of TN get tornadoes, but I haven't paid much attention to what part is getting them this Spring. It's very pretty, but it's too humid and too violent in the weather category.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Know what you mean about the weather. We moved from CT/NY to get away from the snow, but have to admit that I'd rather deal with the snow than the tornadoes we're getting here in TN. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to live up north or we'd be packing.
I moved to Texas from California (actually, my life began in New York) and wish I had never left. I hate severe storms, the pathetic humidty and the relentless heat and although I've been in an earthquake, that doesn't compare to Spring in the south. I'd rather the ground shook than the sky act foolishly.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I like a drier climate but not raging heat like in Arizona. Eastern Washington wouldn't be bad, either.

My main criteria has more to do with taxes. After much research, three states that of particular interest are Washington, Nevada and Wyoming

Arizona - not all of the state is like Phoenix. If you want pine trees and a little snow, investigate the area around Show Low (NE side of the state). If you want a desert landscape with very few days in the high 90's, check out the Sierra Vista area (SE side of the state). Property taxes in these 2 counties are quite low too.

Nevada - there's a small town about 10 miles west of Reno called Verdi that I've always been partial too. Higher elevation so it's cooler, but close enough to Reno for medical care. Very close to the CA state line.

Washington - I believe their property taxes are quite high? Be careful

Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Arizona - not all of the state is like Phoenix. If you want pine trees and a little snow, investigate the area around Show Low (NE side of the state). If you want a desert landscape with very few days in the high 90's, check out the Sierra Vista area (SE side of the state). Property taxes in these 2 counties are quite low too.

Nevada - there's a small town about 10 miles west of Reno called Verdi that I've always been partial too. Higher elevation so it's cooler, but close enough to Reno for medical care. Very close to the CA state line.

Washington - I believe their property taxes are quite high? Be careful
A friend of mine wants me to move to WA, but I don't think I'd like all the gloomy days. It's one of the prettiest states I have ever visited though.

NV and AZ might not be too bad in the places to which you refer, but those states are so high on the crime list. Hey, if I move again, I'm looking for as close to perfection as I can find. Otherwise, I'll just stay put in my retirement years. One thing about Texas, the winters are delightful and it can get cold, teens and 20s and I love that. It even snows, but, of course, nothing like it does in the north.

TX property taxes are very high as well, actually higher than WA (where I am anyway in rural TX and compared to my friend in Woodland, WA). TX also has the highest homeowner's insurance rates in the entire country and utilities are way up there too.

Now, I'm going to check out Show Low, Verdi, and Sierra Vista. Thanks. If and where I go, mountains are a necessity.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Show Low is lovely and my favorite. I spent a week there and fell in love with the place I even subscribe to their newspaper now. I watch the crime statistics also, LOL (Click on "Police")

Can you guess where I'm moving to, in a few years?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Show Low is lovely and my favorite. I spent a week there and fell in love with the place I even subscribe to their newspaper now. I watch the crime statistics also, LOL (Click on "Police")

Can you guess where I'm moving to, in a few years?
Looks very interesting. Please tell us more. What did you like about the area?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
The premise of retiring alone is the problem (for most).
That it limits our choices by at least 50%.

This dilemma shows itself most when these questions of where to live come up...
they are almost always phrased in the singular tense: One place.
(not just in this thread)

I can afford a reasonably "comfortable" retirement living in one location.
or a more frugal retirement that could allow two modest home locations.

I'd prefer to not go it alone.
I'd prefer to find someone else who could afford one location on their own...
and split time between a more northern location in summer and a more southern one in winter.

c'est la vie

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Hi All, Don't forget to check the cost of living calculators on some sites. When I compared San Jose to Akron, Ohio my general difference was 50% but the housing catagory was about 80% cheaper in Akron. The NW area of Akron has some really nice homes for very little and it is a good area.

I like to read so for me it is important to be a walkable distance from a local library. Great place to meet people or be left alone if that is my mood at the moment. I am so spoiled here in San Jose with a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco and Peet's Coffee all within a two block area that I know I will never get that again! But, the older I get, the less I can eat so what the heck.

The best advice I ever received was to stay away from highways generally headed north as that the route of the U.S. drug traffic. Just a thought. After being stranded in Phoenix for fifteen years I agree. Besides the air polution near freeways is bad for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement