U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 05:25 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times

Advertisements

It looks adorable, Dancingearth & yes, I certainly can envision it with walls of books and other homey and pretty things . You will have it looking like YOU in no time and I can not wait to see those photographs.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,498 times
Thanks Ladies! Today I found some singles groups to join and start getting out and meeting and doing things with others. A friend who is involved with different single groups called and said he was at a mud volleyball game in ABQ and I realized it was time to stop spending so much time doing solitary things. I also found a knitting group on The Meetups. I was going to go contra dancing tonight but I'm too tired after all the errands I had to do today. That's it for grocery shopping until after I move. Amazing how errands can eat up your day and leave you tired.

Nancy Thereader - how does it feel to be retired? Has it hit yet?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
... Seeing so many relaxed and happy retired people was such a motivation to get going. ...

My yardwork: that is another reason I'm so tired! ...

And that is what is going on here. Too much to do, too little time!!
The significant change of composure of my retired co-workers was good motivation for me, (no more silly 'performance reviews', and other circus acts) as well as the annual visits from a couple who retired at age 52 to spend some enjoyable time while still healthy (not wealthy, but thrifty, and not a posh retirement, but 3 months snow skiing per year, in various destinations ).

You should have scheduled a 'Monterey work weekend', that is a benefit of living in 'community', as it is always more fun (& satisfying) to help someone else accomplish their goals and projects. but... I gotta go pull weeds myself 'payback' for going to the Rose Gardens in Portland last night for a picnic. (6000+ bushes, 500+ varieties, some blooms as big as a salad plate, it was great) its 97F in PNW today, rare !

Portland Parks & Recreation :: Washington Park - International Rose Test Garden

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,545 times
Default Anyone familiar with Ft Gordon GA?

I am 56 and about to get a job at Ft Gordon. I'll have my 30 years in, in August, so I can retire any time. I am my 90 yr old father's primary caregiver and he dislikes the weather here in Central Oregon (brutal winters) with a passion...I hate snakes & spiders, and know that the south is home to many.
I don't want to go back to San Diego because I could not afford to live there any more. I need to have a wee house with a yard because I want my own gardens, both flowers & vegetables. I am not interested in Romance any more...I am saggy & baggy, leery & dreary, tired & haggard, and not even married to Merle! A companion to go out to dinner or to a movie once in a blue moon would be nice. Otherwise, I can take care of myself just fine. My beautiful grandchildren have re-located to Nashville but there are few federal jobs up there..so I am sort of in career limbo right now.
Anyone else out there in a similar boat?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflygurl View Post
I am 56 and about to get a job at Ft Gordon. ... I am my 90 yr old father's primary caregiver and he dislikes the weather here in Central Oregon (brutal winters) ... A companion to go out to dinner or to a movie once in a blue moon would be nice. ...My beautiful grandchildren have re-located to Nashville but there are few federal jobs up there..so I am sort of in career limbo right now.
With your formula I'd be headed to Oakridge, TN (Knoxville as a second option)

Federal jobs, decent climate, good pick of high grade companions, and close enough to Nashville for a visit, but better place to live. (IMO)

Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,962,222 times
I came to Vegas to retire.

Cheap housing
close to everything so it saves money for fuel
military base for commissary so save money for food
superwalmart so save money on stuff
entertainment very close

Love it!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
was time to stop spending so much time doing solitary things

How do you get yourself OUT of that mold ? That's a hard one for me. Often I just force myself to get out and go places with other people. I am usually happy that I did so, but it's hard to make the initial effort.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
was time to stop spending so much time doing solitary things

How do you get yourself OUT of that mold ? That's a hard one for me. Often I just force myself to get out and go places with other people. I am usually happy that I did so, but it's hard to make the initial effort.
For those of us who are not naturally extroverted and really, really need to be with other people, this is the big danger. I know that if I leave myself to follow my muse and natural inclinations that I'll happily go along for months pursuing my interests and hobbies. Then one day, I'll turn around and notice that I don't know anybody.

I think the way to go when there isn't work to make you rub shoulders with people is to find some things you like to do that make you do them with other people - volunteering at something, taking classes, signing up for group activities of some sort. The difference will be that whatever I do, if I don't like the atmosphere or people there, I will be able to just walk out and try something else with a different set of people. The other thing I've heard is that you really need to make sure you budget your time at those things so they fit what you want and don't become another job that is just as demanding and confining as the one you left.

I haven't done this, but I wonder if those meetup groups would work. Maybe better than internet dating (yikes!) since they are some sort of topical discussion meeting instead of dating. (I guess I really don't like dating)

I guess it is all about finding a balance. I know that for me, a few quality friends who I click with are much more to my liking than a bunch of people I don't like a whole lot.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,923,532 times
I wonder if it is just a woman thing as we get older. I find myself going days with no human contact other than on here for days.. (No offense) I remember my mother just sitting in her house for days/weeks, with no friends and I sure don't want to end up so unhappy like she was in her later years. She just cut herself off from everyone and complained about everyone. She lived right behind my sister and wouldn't even go to her house for dinner.

I live in a small town and have been here less than 3 years. I know a few other ladies but it seems we all do our own thing whatever that is. I do volunteer for a food network and an animal shelter, but that is only a few days a month. I have given up on men too, although I would like someone to do things with now and then especially if they pay..

So what can we do on a limited income?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 321,625 times
Keeper,

I could have written exactly what you wrote. I, too, sit in my house for days and weeks alone with no human contact, no friends, no place to go that I would want to go alone, nor could I go on a fixed income. Yes, I do think it has to do with getting older. I remember when I was younger, I had so many friends and was always busy doing something, going places. Not so anymore, and all the suggestions others put out there really just don't work.

Wish I had all the answers, for everyone else as well as for myself.

BTW, in spite of my username raising some doubts for some people, I am a female. An avid fan of Meerkat Manor! At least that's one thing I have to look forward to every Friday night on Animal Planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement