U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM
 
433 posts, read 992,028 times
Reputation: 389

Advertisements

Thanks!

Hi, sweepea. As soon as I moved to ND last summer, I realized my mistake, so I don't miss it at all. You're right. It is difficult to know what's realistic and what's fantasy.

Have a safe trip to DEN, SR.

mlb, I agree your friend is brave to move back to KS to help her mother. Wow.

 
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Reputation: 793
[quote=newenglandgirl;DM me if you want to ask questions about NE areas--I'm pretty well versed.[/QUOTE]

I tried to send you a dm about areas to move to, but you're blocking dm's. Can you send me a dm about the areas? Thank you. Barb
 
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I tried to send you a dm about areas to move to, but you're blocking dm's. Can you send me a dm about the areas? Thank you. Barb
How do I unblock dm's? (didn't know that I was) - will try to dm you.
 
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Reputation: 793
Thanks for the dm. I tried to reply back but was told you either "don't accept dm's or have it set on private". Here's where to unblock it:

Go to:"My Settings" at top, go to "settings & options" and click on "edit options", go down page to "Messaging & Notifications" and make sure box is checked saying "enable direct messaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How do I unblock dm's? (didn't know that I was) - will try to dm you.
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
16 posts, read 18,053 times
Reputation: 10
I really like this forum - it sounds like what I am going through as a single "baby boomer," and not knowing exactly where to land. I've lived in Boulder CO - and it is a great place, except rather expensive, not a lot of greenery (but a good place to meet people); sort of wish I had never left. Now I am in Columbia SC - and, it is very hot and humid, conservative, and difficult to meet people with similar interests. Asheville NC is close, and I have considered moving there; since it is a small town, it is easier to meet people, politically not so conservative as the south. Also, I am considering someone in Europe, not sure where - but would need to be able to set up my research business. So much to consider.
 
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
16 posts, read 18,053 times
Reputation: 10
I'm glad you mentioned PODS. I've moved around quite a bit, in the past few years, and most of my belongings are in a storage unit in FL - now, I need a way to get that stuff where I am now without having to do the U-Haul thing.
 
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
Reputation: 4222
Asheville is a very expensive place to live now that it's been "discovered".
 
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Reputation: 32182
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlearts1 View Post
I really like this forum - it sounds like what I am going through as a single "baby boomer," and not knowing exactly where to land.
are you cute?

Quote:
Asheville NC is close, and I have considered moving there; since it is a small town, it is easier to meet people, politically not so conservative as the south.
I considered it before coming here to Winston-Salem and found some other nice things... as being near the Parkway was a major consideration but I found the RE prices to be absurd. The Trustafarian aspect applies too. I can get past most of the other stuff but I still doubt I'd want to winter there...

I'm figuring that beginning next year (after some work is done here) the hot summers will become my traveling time again.
Where do you want to go?
 
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
Reputation: 4222
I'm having a hard time choosing what area to retire because I feel torn about "lifestyles". One part of me thinks it would be best to live in or around a larger city/suburb because of the "ammenities", more things to do and good health care facilities, etc., although these areas tend to be more expensive (scenario #1). Then another part of me says live in a somewhat smaller, quieter area (not rural) because the traffic will be less and it will be an easier life in alot of ways (scenario #2). Does it make sense to do scenario #1 say from age 66-75 (at best) and then move again to a smaller location say from 75 to whenever.

I really was convinced that scenario #1 was the best option when I retire, but I had a minor fender bender a few weeks ago and that kind of freaked me out about driving here and there when I'm older. I live where there is ALOT of traffic. I'm a good driver, 1st accident in 16 years, but it did make me think a bit about getting around in my later years.

Most of the older people I know say they love living in this larger, more populated area, but then when I really think about it, they don't venture much outside of our own suburb...so is there really much advantage to it?

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?
 
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Reputation: 1230
Default Food for thought !

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm having a hard time choosing what area to retire because I feel torn about "lifestyles". One part of me thinks it would be best to live in or around a larger city/suburb because of the "ammenities", more things to do and good health care facilities, etc., although these areas tend to be more expensive (scenario #1). Then another part of me says live in a somewhat smaller, quieter area (not rural) because the traffic will be less and it will be an easier life in alot of ways (scenario #2). Does it make sense to do scenario #1 say from age 66-75 (at best) and then move again to a smaller location say from 75 to whenever.

I really was convinced that scenario #1 was the best option when I retire, but I had a minor fender bender a few weeks ago and that kind of freaked me out about driving here and there when I'm older. I live where there is ALOT of traffic. I'm a good driver, 1st accident in 16 years, but it did make me think a bit about getting around in my later years.

Most of the older people I know say they love living in this larger, more populated area, but then when I really think about it, they don't venture much outside of our own suburb...so is there really much advantage to it?

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?
You bring up some very good points ! My "plan" is to keep control of my vehicle for as long as I can safely drive it, and when the day comes when I simply cannot drive anymore, I'll consider renting a unit in an "assisted living" facility where everything is provided ~~ 3 meals a day, recreation, social activities, transportation to shopping & doctors & field trips, etc. etc. etc. But. the big question is where ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top