U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

thanks everybody for the kind replies and encouragement. I would be lying if I said this move was a piece of cake! I have moved many times including moving a spouse and four kids halfway across the country and back. I moved my ex MIL and my own mother (with some sibling help, but not that much), and kids here and there. I am well used to what it takes to move and yet...this one was a doozy. So much stress! I think it's the age LOL.

Anyway, I have to remember "what's the hurry" as I can only get help in moving things into place when the SO's in my life are available. I tend to be impatient so I have to really chill. I't s really really hot up here this week, going toward 98 so I need to take it easy.

I sympathize with anyone just starting the process of moving after the age of 60. Selling a home as I did, or even moving from a rental, takes soooooo much drive and energy. I hope I recover!

Best to all,
NEG

Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM

433 posts, read 992,314 times
Yes, do take it easy. Little by little, it will get done.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
NEG - If I was there we'd have it whipped into shape in no time. Why is it so much easier doing someone else's??????????????? I am bored to death of this place - the most enjoyable time is when I get in the car and drive away from it - like what I'm about to do in a few minutes. I have several BBC type DVDs I have to pick up at the library.

I talk big but when I move into a new place I want it all done NOW - patience isn't my virtue. Keep using the guilt game on your kids.

Waiting 18 days for everything would drive me bats - you get an ata girl for that one, Riverbird.

It's hot here too - 100 and humid (I'm melting~~~~~~~~~~~)

OK, off to the library - have to take advantage of what my taxes pay for

Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
NEG - If I was there we'd have it whipped into shape in no time. Why is it so much easier doing someone else's??????????????? I am bored to death of this place - the most enjoyable time is when I get in the car and drive away from it - ...
You need to invest in a quick trip to NEGirl's joint and help out.

I am glad that my 'retirement' schedule has allowed me to help several friends move. ((2)) 2000 mile trips already this yr. I have helped them load, move and unpack, then I'm outta there. Get to help de-fuse 'Tense moments' during the process, Get AWAY from my own home (I like to be gone) & take a Nice 'paid' vacation, (They pay my food and airfare home ... A pretty cheap contribution for them for 1 weeks work.

I love it... now to get back to my own mess and CLEAN it up!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM

419 posts, read 658,273 times
NEG - It was so good to hear from you with your update. I was worried that you might have been affected by the tornado that hit Western Mass.

Moving is not easy for anyone at any age but you, an amazing boomer, have climbed the mountain and you are almost down. Soon, you will be able to enjoy your new home and lovely new town with all of the ammenities you desire located so close to home. Congratulations! Job well done.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,493 times
What a nice group on this forum! I'm a an expat in Argentina, originally from California, but lived in NE/NY for 30 years...Now I want to move back to the States, but where can I afford it? I am a former college prof turned certified professional coach, bilingual, and was thinking somewhere in the DC-Annapolis are, but am concerned about costs. I'm 60, ove cultural and social activities, tennis, sailing, and am thinking senior co-housing might be interesting. I'd consider anywhere where the cost of living is low and where it snows less than 2 months per year (as I had enough in Syracuse to last a lifetime). I hope to be somewhere near higher education centers, more for culture than for job, and also near a good airport so my kids in San Jose and NYC can visit easily....If within 4 hours of either ocean, even better. Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle18 View Post
What a nice group on this forum! I'm a an expat in Argentina, originally from California, but lived in NE/NY for 30 years...Now I want to move back to the States, but where can I afford it? I am a former college prof turned certified professional coach, bilingual, and was thinking somewhere in the DC-Annapolis are, but am concerned about costs. I'm 60, ove cultural and social activities, tennis, sailing, and am thinking senior co-housing might be interesting. I'd consider anywhere where the cost of living is low and where it snows less than 2 months per year (as I had enough in Syracuse to last a lifetime). I hope to be somewhere near higher education centers, more for culture than for job, and also near a good airport so my kids in San Jose and NYC can visit easily....If within 4 hours of either ocean, even better. Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.
According to their respective pages here on CD:

Washington DC: Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Washington: 124.2 (high, U.S. average is 100)

Annapolis, Maryland: Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Annapolis: 109.7 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)

I guess it depends on what you are used to, but this would definitely be too high for me!

Get a map of the states and start circling towns/cities that you're interested in. Or circle areas that have interesting universities.

Start googling information, and cross off the ones that don't pass muster - whether it be too much bad weather, not enough culture, taxes too high, etc.

Pretty soon you'll have it down to 3 or 4 places ... or you'll notice that you're gravitating towards a certain area.

The only problem I had with this system is that I found interesting areas that I'd never heard of before

Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle18 View Post
I am a former college prof turned certified professional coach, bilingual, and was thinking somewhere in the DC-Annapolis are, but am concerned about costs.
as stated above... far too pricey (tough even when you're earning well there).

Quote:
cultural and social activities, tennis, and am thinking senior co-housing might be interesting. I'd consider anywhere where the cost of living is low and where it snows less than 2 months per year

YouTube - ‪James Taylor - Carolina in my mind‬‏

Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 AM

433 posts, read 992,314 times
Welcome, Gayle18. How do you feel about summer heat? Do you intend to buy a car or use public transportation? Would renting be ok or do you want to buy a house or condo? (Senior co-housing is still hard to find.)

Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
... (Senior co-housing is still hard to find.)
and even harder to afford

There are several senior co-housing developers, they get a large premium for their projects.

I would recommend Carolina too if you can find a good sailing location within access to a regional airport. There are several co-housing options in the Carolinas.

You could also look to WA state Puget Sound area. There are a few co-housing options in Port Townsend area.

DC is quite spendy and my friends there keep moving further out. (Now commuting from Shepherdstown, WV. )

I would love to hear more about ex-pat'ing in Argentina. I need to find a foreign destination for about 10+ yrs where I can afford healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement