U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 AM

11,765 posts, read 7,771,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Part of the problem is I'm too busy working, going back to school, and doing ceramics--all very solitary occupations. I have done some volunteering here but it's usually once a year tourist events, fun to do but not a good way to make friends. I don't have time to get involved more than that and I'm not a church goer. I've gone to the single's events but since being single is the least interesting thing about me I haven't connected to anyone there and don' find them all that friendly.

Fortunately I have one very good friend but she's struggling financially here and might end up leaving. We talk about moving to Eugene, OR and house sharing but we both would have to sell our houses. I'll hang in here as long as I have a job. If that changes I'll have to decide. Although If I move I should move to PA where my family is (we get along great) but my heart is in the West. When I try to imagine living in PA it is like a black hole in my head.
Olympia sounds like more your style (?). Connecting with the "right" folks is more important than many other things, imo, including weather. That's why I can't seem to leave NewEngland even though I'd like to try living elsewhere.

One of my sons lived in Eugene for several years and I went to visit him. Other than a writers retreat in the PNW I had never been to that part of the country. I found the U-OR campus to be really, really nice, laid back, fell in love with it and briefly toyed with the idea of doing post grad work there. The town is quite walkable but I didn't see all of it. I did find that houses in the 200 range seem not so well built compared with house in that range in New England. My son may want to move back there, as he was the healthiest he's ever been since he did so much hiking there (Three Sisters).

Are you retirement age? What kind of job would you be looking for? The university in Eugene probably has lots of different jobs.

I don't think PA is for you, in general, based on what I've read of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,084,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Olympia sounds like more your style (?). Connecting with the "right" folks is more important than many other things, imo, including weather. That's why I can't seem to leave NewEngland even though I'd like to try living elsewhere.

One of my sons lived in Eugene for several years and I went to visit him. Other than a writers retreat in the PNW I had never been to that part of the country. I found the U-OR campus to be really, really nice, laid back, fell in love with it and briefly toyed with the idea of doing post grad work there. The town is quite walkable but I didn't see all of it. I did find that houses in the 200 range seem not so well built compared with house in that range in New England. My son may want to move back there, as he was the healthiest he's ever been since he did so much hiking there (Three Sisters).

Are you retirement age? What kind of job would you be looking for? The university in Eugene probably has lots of different jobs.

I don't think PA is for you, in general, based on what I've read of your posts.
Olympia was a good fit for me yet when I returned last year it no longer felt like home. That's why I'd consider Eugene. From what I read on CD it is very much like Olympia. I'm 58 and will work as long as I am able since I have some saved but not much. I'd like to get an accounting associates and when I no longer have my current job do part-time accounting and sell ceramics. I've worked in publishing marketing/management accounting for over 30 years but don't expect to find that kind of work if I move. For those jobs I'd need to live in NYC. Not for me. And if this job disappears I've had enough of it. I'd love to learn more about running small businesses.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy all the wonderful things that are here and when I get restless....go make pots.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:17 AM

10,811 posts, read 17,612,655 times
Eugene will always have open arms for you.

Plan to come visit PNW for this event Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase Here is a site of some close friends, it has other pottery links.
http://yellowleaf.org/raku/

Enjoy the Rhodie Gardens during that season too. Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Eugene will always have open arms for you.

Plan to come visit PNW for this event Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase Here is a site of some close friends, it has other pottery links.
Raku Pottery: Dave & Boni Deal

Enjoy the Rhodie Gardens during that season too. Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
Thanks! Can I move now? My friend is a ceramic teacher and probably knows some of these people because she lived in the PNW for awhile. She wants to move back because her Mom lives in Corvallis and because she is really struggling to survive here on multiple jobs. Usually four part-time jobs at a time. This sounds like the perfect time to visit for the first time. Pottery and gardens.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM

10,811 posts, read 17,612,655 times
Quote:
Thanks! Can I move now? ... This sounds like the perfect time to visit for the first time. Pottery and gardens.
Sure this is a great time to come. Get those Santa Fe dwellings rented for $,$$$ this summer and get on out here.

No fires / no smoke (yet...). It is gonna be a great summer (but a little wet / cool), and probably a little SHORT (since I was using my woodstove yesterday).

Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sure this is a great time to come. Get those Santa Fe dwellings rented for $,$$$ this summer and get on out here.

No fires / no smoke (yet...). It is gonna be a great summer (but a little wet / cool), and probably a little SHORT (since I was using my woodstove yesterday).
It won't be this summer because my job is here and I need the money. It will be a long range plan. Yes, I couldn't see the mountains this morning because of the smoke.

Next time I live in the PNW I definitely would like a woodstove for the warmth. Just enough to take the chill off.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

newenglandgirl! I tried to direct message a reply to you but you aren't setup to accept them.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM

11,765 posts, read 7,771,075 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl! I tried to direct message a reply to you but you aren't setup to accept them.
Just checked--I am enabled to receive DM's (that box is checked off)--so don't know why yours didn't come through--what else should I check?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just checked--I am enabled to receive DM's (that box is checked off)--so don't know why yours didn't come through--what else should I check?
I have no idea--I'll try again tonight after class.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

433 posts, read 553,476 times
Just fyi, I tried to send you a direct message a couple of weeks ago, NEGirl, and was unable to. When I try, I get this:

"newenglandgirl has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement